Baby Names
Options

Love the name Cael but...

Both my husband and I love the name Cael. Its an irish name meaning slender. Another variation is Kale meaning free man. 

The only problem is that it is also a type of vegetable and we don't want him to be teased for this.

What do you think of the name and do you think he would be teased for it?

Re: Love the name Cael but...

• Options
    I love this name and have never made the veggie connection, but people might if you spell it Kale. I like the spellings Cael or Cale.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ah625ah625 member
    I don't think many kids will know about the vegetable, but I assume adults will. That's what made me cross it off my list. I still like it though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the name but automatically think of the veggie. I still like it though.
  • Options
    I like Cael and definitely dont think it matters that it's the same as the veg. When I see it spelled that way (Cael), I know it's Irish and a boys name, and dont think of the veg at all. I recently worked with a woman named Kale, and when I saw it on paper did think, "oh like the veg", but I certainly didn't care. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's a lovely Irish name, when spelled using the Irish spelling.  As for the veggie issue, I think you're overestimating the intelligence and education of the basic American kid.  Kale is not an overly popular or commonly served to kids vegetable (though it is more popular now than when we were kids) and most American kids can't pick many veggies out of a line up.  If you doubt me, try to buy less common vegetables at the supermarket and see just how many cashiers actually have a clue what those vegetables are called without looking at the sticker.
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    Immediately thought the veggie. Sorry 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a scottish guy friend named Caley. We call him Cale because Caley sounds a bit fem.. it was only ever a problem for him when he worked in a restaurant that garnished thier plates with Kale, and when they called out "Kale Please!" Cale would be like "What?! Me?? .. oh, nevermind."
    I like Cale. Who cares if it sounds like a veggie. Just dont name your kid Apple as most kids are familiar with this word and thus subject to tease. :p
    ~?~ Chellezy ~?~ Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I think of the vegetable, which by the way is experiencing a huge resurgence in popularity, at least around where I am.  
  • Options
    I'd go with Cael. Everytime I see Kale, I think the veggie.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageRRL2012:
    Immediately thought the veggie. Sorry 

Me too.  I agree with PP that the Cael spelling is better and then I'd know it was an Irish name...but just to hear the name, I would not know that.  I wouldn't give someone the side-eye for using the name at all though and even with the veggie association for me, I don't dislike the name.

I don't think kale is obscure, definitely also depending on where you live.  For example, I would expect a lot of Southern kids to know what kale is, as it is very common in southern cooking.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options
    I went to high school with a guy named Cale. I don't recall him being teased for it, he was actually kind of popular.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    susannah mary. 11/14

• Options
    Veggie.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    I really don't have a problem with Cael being the same sound as Kale - the vegetable. It's a name too and so it doesn't bother me just the way that some nouns have been turned into names - I don't think, oh, Lily is a flower, what a silly name - I think of it as a name and as a flower. How is this really all that different?
  • Options
    Go ahead and use it.  I doubt too many kids would make the association, but if you are worried that he might get teased, you could always use it as a middle name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"