VBAC
Options

Getting nervous about the VBAC

Before I got pregnant I was 100% all about having a VBAC.  Now pregnant I am getting a little scared.  What if he childbirth is worse than the csection?  What if the VBAC experience lets me down?  What if I end up in a csection anyway?  I am sure these are normal worries but I wonder if anyone went through this too and how they moved past.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Getting nervous about the VBAC

• Options
    Yes
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options

Spend some time really dealing with those fears and facing them head on.  I'd recommend finding a VBAC class or attending ICAN meetings, surround yourself with people who can give you the information you need to feel comfortable with your decision.  I've also hired a doula who has been a great help in both working through my fears and giving me the confidence that I know I'll need going in to labor.  And, I know this just a personal opinion, but I have been through both a vaginal birth and then an uncomplicated CS and I can tell you from my experience that I would take a vaginal birth over a CS anyday of the weak - vaginal birth is a natural physiological process, surgery is not.  GL!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's definitely normal to be nervous.  I think most 2nd timers who had any sort of complication are more nervous because you know exactly what you're in for.  The first time around, there's just that blissful "I can't wait to meet my baby" thing going on.

I've been hanging out on this board for almost 2 years now and no one has ever come back regretting their VBAC attempt.  We've had failures, but everyone was glad that they tried.  And I don't think anyone has come back to say they preferred the CS over the VB.   I think a couple of people said they thought the recovery was comparable.

For me, a VBAC failure would actually be almost as healing as a VBAC success.  If I try everything and the baby still doesn't want to come out, then I can stop blaming myself and my old doctor for my CS.   I also figure surgery is exhausting either way - whether it's planned or if it follows 20 hours of labor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My college roommate is a doula but unfortunately she lives in Cali and I am in DC.  If I could figure out a way to have her here I would!  I know she would be great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

All very normal fears.  I was still contemplating them the night before I went into labor.  You definitely have to do a lot of soul searching and figure out what YOU want.  What helped me is I went through all the scenarios and how I would deal with them and I always came back to VBAC. 

I also learned to accept the first birth which I think a lot of my fears stemmed from.  Also knowing what you want in case the VBAC does turn to csection helped me too.  With DD1, I felt like I was "robbed" of the first few hours of her life and wondered what I could have done differently.  I did a lot of research and advocated for myself much better this time around.

Definitely been where you are now.  Keep faith and good luck!

BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"