Parenting
Options

10 month old throwing tantrums! HELP :(

These last few months my daughters been what we call very demanding!! She wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to and when she doesnt want to do something shes not gonna do it an thats that. She can be such a happy loving smart baby but she throws some terrible fits, i didnt even know a baby could act the way she does sometimes! For ex. if she touches an outlet and i move her hand, tell her "No, Owee" She looks at me and touches it again. If i move her away from it and give her something else to play with it doesnt work, she goes right back to it. I'll grab her and take her into another room she'll start banging on the door screaming laying on the floor kicking! Its getting to the point that i cant go anywhere with her anymore. For ex. we went to target an she was in the carseat on top of the cart an right when we got there she was screaming kicking her feet, moving the whole carseat she just wanted out. So i took her out she was fine, laughing ect. Then she wanted down so i let her walk and she wasnt listening or following me she was going "her direction', so i grabed her hand so she could walk with me , she pulled herself on the floor kicking her arms and legs so i picked her up and she started arching her back, turning in circles pushing me cuz she wanted down, i did and she was grabing things off the floor about to eat things ect so i decided its time to go. I went to pay for our things an she again didnt want to be held so i put her down. She was fine but started grabing the candy and chips i put them back told her no an she got really mad started grabbing the chips as fast as she could throwing them on the floor!! Thats not even the half of it. I havnt got much sleep she wakes up constantly in the middle of the night shes been fighting going to sleep. I try and make bedtime calm and happy making sure shes ate comfy and has a clean diaper but she fights going to sleep for hours and hours she'l be so exhausted. So like tonight i decided to let her cry it out and she just went to sleep a bit ago, it was 15min of crying screaming. I feel so bad idn what else to do. I need some advice or  tips anything would help!!! Anyone??

Re: 10 month old throwing tantrums! HELP :(

• Options

Well, she's a baby. That's what they do. 

Put some outlet covers in the outlets and be consistent. If you tell her no, then mean it. She already knows if she keeps trying she'll get you to break.

When you go to Target, leave her in the cart. Bring some snacks or juice or a book to distract. She knows she can get a reaction out of you. 

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Options

yikes.

oh, and she's a baby, did you forget? Or did you expect her to come out of the womb behaving perfectly? she's testing her boundaries, redirection is your friend. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If she's 10 month old, get her out of the carseat at stores and let her sit, belted, in the kiddie seat.  Like pp said, bring snacks, small toys, books to keep her occupied.  

You should have outlet covers in your house.  She's 10 months old.  Keep saying no and distracting her.

Some kids are more inquisitive, you and I have them.  Accept that she may not be one of those babies that just sits there in her stroller and coos while you leisurely shop like some other babies.  My dds never liked shopping, strollers, or their car seat.   I had friends who could shop or chat all day and their dcs would just sit in the stroller.

They're just all different.   Its early and I just woke up so I hope this makes sense. 

• Options

She might have a much better temperament today after having a good night sleep.  If she's only crying for 15 mins and falling asleep, I think you have your answer as far as sleep goes.  She can and should go to sleep when you put her down so that she gets a good night sleep and is well rested. 

the testing is normal and it will take some time to figure out what works for redirection.   Tantrums are normal too, at that age the best thing to do is ignore them.  The more attention they get, they more they want to do them.  You'll learn to tune it out soon enough. but, if you're in a store, you need to leave.  Don't let her think that she can stay there and behave that way. 

She sounds like a smarty, so take some pride in that.  =)

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Just wait until she's four...
  • Options
    This is totally normal, and at 14 months these tantrums are even more dramatic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks to the fast replys..

...I do have outlet cover and locks on cabnets throughtout the house. She trys to take the outlets covers out or sticks her hand behind things and trys and grab the wires.

At the stores like when i went to target i tryed leaving her in the carseat this time cuz for example a few days before i went to toys r us, had her in the cart buckled in, had toys, snacks and a sippy cup, she just throw what she could on the floor, cry when she dropped it and if i gave things back to her or just stop giving things back to her she wasnt happy, all she wanted was out. She'd get her feet and take them out of the leg holes put them on top of the cart try to roll over an fight being in there. All she wanted was out but she wouldnt be held or walk, just wanted to crawl on the floor so again we left.

And tonight i was lucky it was 15min, the day befiore it was over an hour and she was crying screaming the whole time, i took her out and she was fine all smiles i made sure she didnt need anything an layed her back down.

And yes ive been around lots of babies i used to babysite often with a variety of kids. I know how they can act and usually know how to handle things just fine.

I think some of you are thinking "Oh its a baby of course shes gonna cry whatd you expect". Of course i know shes a baby im not stupid. Its not just a "whiny baby" Im not just a mom who is over reacting an complaining that her kid is crying. Thats not the problem. Idn maybe you'd have to be around her and see how it really is to complety understand what i tryed to explain. :/

I appreciate any advice i would really like to make things better :)

• Options

Is this MUD posted under an AE because nobody condoned spanking as a discipline approach the other day? Seems odd, another 10 month old girl whose mom seems befuddled by what babies do. Can you be real or are you just hoping someone will tell you to spank so you'll feel vindicated?

Im new to mommyhood, I havnt read anything about another post like mine, Im not "hoping" someone tells me to spank my kid. I am being "real" I  just want some advice

• Options

My pedi told me at DSs 12 month well check that the reason they throw tantrums is because they're trying to communicate, but they can't do so effectively.  Seems so simple when you say it aloud.  She's mad at you and wants you to know it!! 

When DS throws tantrums, I leave him where he is (as long as he's safe) and walk away if we're at home.  If he's not somewhere "safe" (i.e. - the bathtub, outside, etc) I move him.  If it's in public, we go outside to the car until he gets himself together.   Either way, when he figures out that I'm not giving in and he's not getting a reaction from me, he stops...eventually. 

But seriously, babyproof the house and just expect that she's going to try to touch everything she's not supposed to.  And pick a time-out spot where she can get her tantrum out safely.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"