Austin Babies
Options

advice for starting milk?

we're going to start cow's milk in a couple of weeks. is there anything i need to know? like are you supposed to water it down at first or something?

Re: advice for starting milk?

• Options

Wow! I can't believe Aubrey's already at that point! Time is flying by.

Are you still bf-ing or using formula? Either way, we started adding in some whole milk to his bottles/sippies a few weeks before he turned 1 and it seemed to work fine for us.

~NDK~

• Options

i know! i can't believe how fast the first year has gone. i hope they don't all go this fast.  :(  well, maybe the teenage years...

she nurses once a day, the rest of the day she just drinks water. i'm thinking maybe i should start adding milk to her water sippy cups?

and we're supposed to start with whole milk, right? or does it matter?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She should be on whole milk until she's at least 2 years old.  I wouldn't water it down, just start offering the milk instead of water.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We just put whole milk in her sippy cups and had no problems with the switch.  Well...I take that back.  About 2-3 weeks before we switched, I started putting whole milk in her cereal.  So she was a little bit familar with it.
  • Options

WIth the twins, about a week before the big switch, we started offering just one sippy of milk to replace one bottle of formula. 2 days later, we replaced one more bottle until finally on their first bday it was all milk, no formula. And just FYI - our pedi said they should be drinking between 16-24 oz of whole milk per day between 1 and 2 years old.??

• Options

ooh! adding it to her oatmeal is a great idea. hadn't thought of that.

whole milk it is!  *cringe* i hate whole milk...  i'm a skim gal.

• Options

we did the bottle drop/sippy cup switch at the same time. We made a huge deal out of sippy cups w/ the handles (the little ones) and did 3/4 and 1/4 (formula to milk) then every few days we changed until we were 100% milk.

She had already been using sippy cups for water etc but still loved her milk bottles. Worked out well in our case.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"