Health & Exercise

core exercises early pregnancy

Anyone read any guidelines as to how much core exercises you can do while still in the early stages of pregnancy?  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: core exercises early pregnancy

• As much as you want. You don't need to start modifying until you are 16 weeks when you shouldn't lay on your back any longer.
  • imagebobbyme:
    As much as you want. You don't need to start modifying until you are 16 weeks when you shouldn't lay on your back any longer.

I am still doing core exercises and they are just starting to get uncomfortable. So I have stopped this week. My doctor said I am fine to continue as long as I feel ok. He said normally 5-5.5 months is probably when I wont want to do them and that was about dead on. I think you just need to listen to your body, you will know when you are not suppose to be on your back it will not feel good.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had read somewhere that I shouldn't be doing crunches or bridges. I asked my doctor about that and she said to keep doing what I'm doing for now as long as it is comfortable, my body is used to it.
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• This is something I'll be asking my Dr about at my first appt in a few weeks. Right now I'm doing yoga/pilates and a circuit-style weight lifting class.  I'm still totally comfortable in the weights class but the yoga/pilates class is getting more difficult - especially the core exercises.  This week I actually had to skip the back exercises b/c we were on our stomachs and the pressure was too uncomfortable.

But from what I've read, as long as we're comfortable, there's not really a limit on core exercises.  Though I have read that exercises that get your heart rate up above 140/150 bpm are no good, but I don't know how applicable that is right now so early on. 

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to skip the Warrior Dash now because I'll be entering 2nd Tri at that time... probably not stress I should put on my body! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My Dr said it's not harmful to do situps and do whatever feels comfortable.  I ran and did situps until about 5 mo.  I worked out for my entire pregnancy with light cardio and weights.  My best advice is listen to your body.  Some days I felt good about 30-40 mins of cardio, others, 10-15 was enough.  Wear a body belt.  I wore one every day. Helps you get your body back after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"