3rd Trimester
Options

Canadian Mamas

Sooo I know this has been posted before but since we have a bunch of new 3rd tri Mamas here, I figured I'd ask ....

1. Where are you from ? 

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with? ( I've never heard about these mesh panties before ) 

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave ?

4. Where are you getting some good deals? ( No Target here - YAY 2013, Amazin.com doesn't ship 99% of the time & .ca SUCKS ) ,

--- Well I'm in Hamilton, Ontario. As far as what I know I get some pads, peri bottle , and limited diapers (EBF). I'm looking to take off a full 6 months after baby and start partime after that. Been off of work since Feb 21 due to the end of my contract so mat e.i it is. Not finding much good deals just 'once upon a child' for newborn/0-3 sleepers.

PS where are you finding nursing tanks & bras besides Thyme ?  

Sorry for bad format, I tried. I'm on DHs playbook  

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
DS #1 [S-5]
3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
Baby #2 09/10/2017 
It's a BOY! 
Babywearer&EBF
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Canadian Mamas

• Options

1. Toronto!

2. Not sure, but I think they (Sunnybrook) sell postpartum kits for $20.  There's probably pads and panties, etc. in there.

3. My mat leave starts on my due date (Apr 3) but I am taking 2 weeks of sick days before that.  I hope to take either a year or about 18 months off.

4. Walmart.ca has been good, also Dear-Born Baby in Thornhill.  They have an outlet store across the street from the main store.  Last night we were able to save $$ on a glider and ottoman set, as well as a diaper bag!

Nursing tanks and bras - Walmart has the Warners bras, as well as the Bay.  Prob Sears as well but I did not look there.  Also, check out Momzelle and Baby on the Breast. 

Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekaylaakosua:

Sooo I know this has been posted before but since we have a bunch of new 3rd tri Mamas here, I figured I'd ask ....

1. Where are you from ?  Hey fellow Canuck!  I'm in Toronto

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with? ( I've never heard about these mesh panties before )

From what I remember from DS, I got the peri bottle, a water bottle, mesh underpants (honestly the most comfortable thing I've ever worn!), and a welcome pack from Loblaws that included biodegradable diapers, a gift certificate for pictures to be delivered, a bunch of coupons, some snacks and some formula I think. 

Yes I plan to, although the last time my boss asked me to come back early  in March he asked me to go for lunch and asked me to come back as soon as possible. I had DS in July, but had saved all of my vacation so I could come back the following August. I used daycare as an excuse and went back at the beginning of June. Boo!

4. Where are you getting some good deals? ( No Target here - YAY 2013, Amazin.com doesn't ship 99% of the time & .ca SUCKS ) ,  

I haven't found any amazing deals, but we found a great store called Lil Niblets on Avenue road. Their prices are similar to BRU, but they are so much more helpful! 

--- Well I'm in Hamilton, Ontario. As far as what I know I get some pads, peri bottle , and limited diapers (EBF). I'm looking to take off a full 6 months after baby and start partime after that. Been off of work since Feb 21 due to the end of my contract so mat e.i it is. Not finding much good deals just 'once upon a child' for newborn/0-3 sleepers.

PS where are you finding nursing tanks & bras besides Thyme ?  

I do most of my shopping Thyme -although I think some H&M stores do have a maternity section. That and some specialty stores.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia. 

Our hospital supplies us with nothing (the list of things to pack in your hospital bag says to bring everything from your own pads to 3 dozen diapers for baby). 

I am taking the year off.  Right now I'm on sick leave.  My maternity leave will begin whenever baby makes her grand entrance.

I haven't been able to find any really good deals on baby stuff; we have so few stores to choose from that they don't need to have great sales.  I've found some nursing bras at Walmart and Sears (haven't bought any yet) and I think I'll probably end up ordering a couple of quality nursing tanks and bras online

• Options
    imageeva28:

1. Toronto!

2. Not sure, but I think they (Sunnybrook) sell postpartum kits for $20.  There's probably pads and panties, etc. in there.

3. My mat leave starts on my due date (Apr 3) but I am taking 2 weeks of sick days before that.  I hope to take either a year or about 18 months off.

4. Walmart.ca has been good, also Dear-Born Baby in Thornhill.  They have an outlet store across the street from the main store.  Last night we were able to save $$ on a glider and ottoman set, as well as a diaper bag!

Nursing tanks and bras - Walmart has the Warners bras, as well as the Bay.  Prob Sears as well but I did not look there.  Also, check out Momzelle and Baby on the Breast. 

Good luck!!

I forgot about Dear Born Baby. Great stuff there! 

• Options

I'm in Stratford (Kitchener area).

Definitely taking the full year off!

Just found a consignment baby store in Stratford and spent $50 and got enough clothes to outfit this kid for a year - from newborn to 12 months.  Didn't need to do that, but stuff was so cheap and so cute I couldn't resist!

Not sure about the hospital - haven't taken the tour yet. 

• Options

1) Calgary Alberta

2) I am not sure ~ I saw pads in the washroom on the L&D ward when I was there in Feb.  And I heard someone a few curtains away talking about the mesh panties.  I think we are on our own for diapers etc ... expect for the first couple maybe, I am hoping our birthing class with answer that for us!!

3) I am taking the full year of mat leave off.  I have been off on medical leave since mid-Feb. and will return to work sometime mid/late April 2013.

4) We haven't really found any great deals, we started buying early on so we could take advantage of some sales. Sears, Babies R Us have been the staples for us so far.

5) I perfer Motherhood to Thyme so I was planning on going there for some nursing tanks and bras.

• Options

1. Winnipeg

2. Not sure yet, haven't taken the tour but I don't think anything. 

3. My mat leave will start June 1 because my work contract is up May 31 (conveniently) and my due date is June 14. 

4. I have been having trouble with finding good deals too.  It's so disappointing to not be able to use amazon!  We have been buying at superstore, walmart, we got a great deal on a crib mattress at costco, and once upon a child. We have a babies r us here but its just so expensive. Especially when the states is so close.... my mom went this weekend and got our travel system there for 189.99 and here it is 359.99.  So stupid!!

5. Nursing tanks and bras - I've gotten mine at Sears so far, but I am having trouble because it seems that everywhere just carries up to size DD, whereas I was an E before pregnancy. Motherhood has larger sizes but they run small so even a G there was too small. annoying!!

• Options

1. Where are you from ?  Saskatchewan

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with? Last time? pads and mesh panties for me. For baby they supplied diapers, vaseline, baby wash, swaddling blankets...and I can't remember what else.

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave ?  I will be taking the entire year off. I haven't decided when I'm going to start my mat leave. I'll decide once I find out if I'm a repeat c/s or able to try for a VBAC.

4. Where are you getting some good deals?  I haven't bought anything for this baby yet. I have a lot of stuff left over from DS.  I did notice that Walmart of all places has some pretty decent looking, decent priced nursing bras (by George.)  They didn't have them when I had DS. I also didn't bother with nursing tanks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1. Where are you from ? Toronto.

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with? If I remember from DS, Mt Sinai provided pads, mesh panties, limited diapers, peri bottle and sitz bath.  I will be bringing my own diapers but using all other items provided.

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave ? My last day of work is April 27th.  After that, I will be leaving my job for good and being a stay at home mom.  I am excited but also very nervous about the change.

4. Where are you getting some good deals? I have had some amazing success with Craigslist.  I got a Potter Barn bassinett that I am in love with.  We also scored an awesome crib at Toys R Us that was the floor model and seriously reduced in price.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

1. From BC

2. Mesh panties for sure, will be stocking up before I leave.  Elephant pads, diapers, peri bottle (my girls love playing with the last one I got - never had to use it) and if it's another c-section, drugs.

3. I won't have a full year off.  I plan to take off work about the end of May - 2 weeks before my due date.  DH will take 6-8 weeks off to be home with us after baby is born and we'll be taking a family vacation in that time too.  

4. We just bought our stroller from Target and had it shipped to the border, then drove down to pick it up.  We don't have much needs for this baby as she's the 3rd girl so has plenty of clothes already, crib, bedding, etc.  But, I am getting new bedding for my other girls through Ebay and get alot of my diapers through Etsy/Hyena cart.  I also buy my clothes 1 or 2 pieces at a time from Thyme Maternity because they're giving away sample Avent bottles right now with each purchase.  I have a 1/2 dozen free bottles from them already.

I bought all my bras and tanks from Motherhood last time.  I tried the department stores but hated the bras and the lack of underwire they had.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekaylaakosua:

1. Where are you from ? Vancouver Island, BC

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with? ( I've never heard about these mesh panties before ). I'm not sure what they'll supply me with but I've heard I don't need to bring anything for the baby.... they have the little hats that volunteers knit, and clothing if you choose to use it instead of your own, diapers, formula if you aren't BF. For me they'll supply breast pads, regular pads and yes the lovely mesh panties (which I hear at that point are the best things invented)

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave? Full year for me and I'm so ready to go NOW! I've booked the last 2 weeks of my vacation time I had left in 2012 to start April 27th, instead of going back at the end of two weeks I set my mat leave up to kick in. 6 more weeks to make it through.

4. Where are you getting some good deals? ( No Target here - YAY 2013, Amazin.com doesn't ship 99% of the time & .ca SUCKS ) , Sears has this new daily, weekly and tons of coupons thing going on (I think with target coming they are stepping up their game.. and I've heard they are possibly going to go under). We bought our crib at 20% there and just last night we got our travel system for about $150 less than it should have been because of coupons and price matching. I'm sure all Sears are the same but since they had their baby days early (in January) they are putting a bunch of it back on sale sometime between now and the end of April. As for the clothes, I just watch at Carter's for sales and they generally have decently priced sleepers.

PS where are you finding nursing tanks & bras besides Thyme ?  I bought one nursing tank so far on clearance at Thyme and almost caved on a couple bra's but was reluctant to buy them at $50 each when I don't know how much bigger the ladies are going to get. That same day I happened to be at Walmart and thought I'd take a look to see if they had them.... I ended up getting 3 there - they had them on for $10 each on clearance (if regular priced would have been $18 which is still not bad compared to Thyme). I definitely recommend checking out Walmart.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

1. Where are you from ? 

London, ON 

Assuming it's the same as last time: diapers, mesh panties, cloth baby wipes (which they wash for you), vaseline, robe/hat/blankets for baby, pads for me (although they really sucked so I had DH go and bring me regular overnight pads).  

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave?

Yes, I'm taking the full year and working up until May 4th (I'll have about a week before baby arrives via c-section). I didn't want to use up my mat leave before baby arrived, so just a week worked well for me.  

Old Navy for clothes (I wait til they email me a 30%+ off coupon code)... all of our big items were purchased in the States (stroller, pack n play, crib, mattress, swing) except for our car seats. We got a great deal on the Chicco Keyfit via Costco.ca and bought our convertible car seat on sale via Snugglebugz.ca and had them shipped to us.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

The only nursing bra I ever used was a sleep bra from Target (bought when visiting IL's) to keep my boobs/nursing pads in place while sleeping so I wouldn't leak all over. You want a sleep bra that cuts straight across kinda like a regular sports bra. Triangle style does NOT prevent slippage while sleeping when you're nursing/engorged. Trust me. 

I didn't find regular nursing bras very helpful since I nursed from over the top of my shirts, rather than having baby underneath my shirt where my shirt would always get in the way and expose my belly. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

1.  Three-peater from Cambridge, Ontario.

2.  The previous two times I got the ginormous pads and mesh panties (which worked not only for the normal use, but for my c-section incision too), limited diapers, newborn hat (volunteers knit/crochet for new mums), peri bottle, diaper cream, baby wash.  Basically all my needs while in the hospital were taken care of... BUT the booklet does tell you to bring everything, so I do, JIC.

3.  I'm having my c-section on Friday, April 13th and taking my mat leave starting then, but my last day at work is March 30th and I'm taking vacay to cover the difference (I actually started training my replacement yesterday!).  I'm hoping to take between 1 year and 18 months depending on if we can swing it.  Money is not even close to being worth having that time at home...

4.  This is number 3 so we haven't needed much.  I did get 20% off my BOB stroller and accessories boxing week and a local baby store normally has a $10 off coupon, which I used to buy some swaddling blankets.  www.offspringbaby.com.  If you're local, they'll price match too. 

I got most of my mat clothes and stuff from kijiji (due to a 40 lb weight loss between babies 2 and 3).

• Options

1. Where are you from ?

Hello! I'm from Windsor, Ontario

Our hospital supplies most things you need, pads, diapers (no mesh panties just big grown up diapers!), peri-bottle, baby diapers, and wash cloths instead of wipes. You need to bring your own clothes, there are gowns that are uncomfy for you & baby. THey will supply formula &  bottles but I am EBF so won't need that.

I am not sure yet. I will be off until at least next January. I just got "hired" and if a contract position opens up in January I may take it, otherwise I will take one in April (its teaching at the University so is only during the school year). I've been off my other job (I'm a nurse) since December on sick. If I go back early DH will take 12 weeks, so one of us will be home the whole year.

4. Where are you getting some good deals? ( No Target here - YAY 2013, Amazin.com doesn't ship 99% of the time & .ca SUCKS )

Luckily we don't need much as its #2. Also, we are a border city, its 15 minutes to get to Detroit. I go to Target often, and ship to a UPS store in Detroit and just pick up what I ordered there!

Costco.ca has some great deals, we are ordering our stroller from there and its $100 cheaper then in the states! I couldn't believe it!

I got my nursing tanks from Target when I was over a few weeks ago but I think I'm going to order a few from Sears.ca, they are on sale for $14.99, I haven't tried them but I layer them under clothes and wear them for sleep so they should work OK!

https://www.sears.ca/product/jessica-md-lingerie-nursing-camisole/618-000013359-6301-18F07JL

I also try to shop consignment when I can we have a few great local places!

• Options
    imagekaylaakosua:

1. Where are you from ? 

Edmonton, Alberta

I'm not really sure. They didn't suggest to bring any of the above items like diapers and pads and what not so I am assuming everything. 

I am taking the full 10 months off and then my husband will be taking the last two months. I started my Mat Leave ten days before my due date. 

4. Where are you getting some good deals? ( No Target here - YAY 2013, Amazin.com doesn't ship 99% of the time & .ca SUCKS )

I have been buying most of the larger items used on Kijiji. I have been scoping out the specific make and model of each item that I want and then have been hunting them on Kijiji and when one comes up a good price and near perfect condition I nab it. I have gotten some amazing deals. I saved us over $350 alone on the exact peg perego stroller we wanted and it doesn't even look used.

Babies R Us does have some decent sales once in a while. We just snagged the Britax Marathon 65 car seat for $95 off. For clothes it's a crap shoot really.  

• Options

1. Where are you from ?

I'm in Halifax!

No idea! This is our first and I haven't done the hospital tour yet...it is definitely on my list of questions to ask if they will supply us with any of the mesh panties or diapers especially. 

I will be taking the year off (and possibly staying home indefinitely). I'm due early June and I think I will take leave after Victoria Day. 

I've gotten some really good stuff for the baby on Kijiji and at consignment stores. The Carters/Oshkosh outlet store has been good too. We also got some adorable stuff for his nursery really cheap from Joe Fresh. For maternity/nursing clothes I've had some luck at Old Navy (I'm on their email list and always use the coupons they send out) but I'm quite small so finding stuff for me at consignment stores has been a challenge. Lots of great ideas in here though, I will have to check them out!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

1. Where are you from ?  Vancouver

2. What type of things is your hospital supplying you with?  Mesh panties, pads, peri bottle-- those are the take home things.  For use while in the hospital but not to take home, drugs if I have a c/s, formula for supplementing CDs, receiving blankets (we are bringing our own disposables, blankets, clothes though because last time DS got a horrible rash since they wash their stuff with such harsh stuff).

3. Are you taking the year off? & when are / did you take mat leave ?  I SAH with DS, so I'm just continuing that.

4. Where are you getting some good deals?  Kids Swapmeets are my favorite, craigslist, garage sales, liquidation centres.  We also are near the border, so we get stuff shipped there and go pick it up.  Superstore has some good/cheap clothes, Costco for diapers and wipes.  I also buy almost any deal that comes up on any of those groupon/daily deals sites for kids stores to stock up on the basics for half off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekaylaakosua:

1. Where are you from?

Innisfil (just outside Barrie) 

With DD my hospital provided: her first newborn diaper, my first pad, flannel blankets for dd, a t-shirt for dd and a hat for dd. Then a peri-bottle for me and pain meds (I had a c-section) EVERYTHING else I had to bring.  I literally came home with a load of dd's laundry! 

With DD I only took 12 weeks off then went back part time. I started full time right at the one year mark. This time I will most likely take the full year since I have two to pay daycare for and it makes more sense to just stay home.  

Good deals... I am always looking. I got some GREAT deals at The Gap when they had end of season plus 40% off, babysteals.com, zulily, and other than that just keep my eye open when I am out. Signing up for emails from baby stores is great. Can be annoying but they do send you great deal info for sales. 

I got my nursing bras from serenity birth studio in Barrie last time. I will do it again this time. They are a great little boutique. www.serenitybirthstudio.ca

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Wow, lots of NS bumpies! I'm also from nova scotia.

Our hospital provides anything the baby needs while at the hospital - diapers, clothes, hats etc if you don't have them. I think they also send moms home with extra heavy duty pads, and peri bottle. Not sure of anything else.

Starting my leave may 1st at 36 weeks. I'm taking at least 6 months off but hope to then casually start building up my freelance business which still on EI. Whether or not that works out I'm not going back to my current job

As for deals, the zellers liquidation has been very convenient :)
    Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
  • Options
    1. Hamilton 2. Pads, mesh panties, diapers etc 3. Yes, the whole year- 2 wks vacation before due dtae and then whole year 4. Joe Fresh, Once Upon A Child, Mom to Mom sales (huge one in ancaster apr 21), hand me downs and hoping to use as much of DD's stuff if this is a girl
  • Options

imageMeghanF13:
    1. Hamilton 2. Pads, mesh panties, diapers etc 3. Yes, the whole year- 2 wks vacation before due dtae and then whole year 4. Joe Fresh, Once Upon A Child, Mom to Mom sales (huge one in ancaster apr 21), hand me downs and hoping to use as much of DD's stuff if this is a girl

Yayyyy another Hamiltonian!  How do you find out about the mom to mom sales ? .... Once upon a child has been the best place for me, especially when they had their $10 fill a bag sale.

How do you mail stuff to the border ? I've never heard of that ! Thanks for the Old Navy tip wish I asked this a long time ago. 

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"