D.C. Area Babies
Options

how to find in-home centers

I posted my rant about nanny shares on 3rd tri (just realizing the hidden costs associated like buying a double stroller, etc)... and JAR, my apologies if you read this twice :)

So I'm going to give it a shot and try again to find an in-home  (I've been on waitlists for centers since April, and chances are I'm not getting in by Feb). I already put the feelers out by asking neighbors, friends, and even posting on the 3 different listservs I'm on (including Moms on the Hill) and I've gotten ZERO responses. I seriously can't believe NO ONE can tell me where to find an in-home daycare in my neighborhood. MOTH has a list of all the in-homes that are registered, but it would require me to start cold calling them all in December, and hope they know their availability for Feb when we need care.

So anyone have any advice on where else to look for in-home centers??? For those of you in one, how on earth did you find yours?

Re: how to find in-home centers

• Options

We were househunting and selling a condo when I was pg with DD #1, so since I had no idea where we'd be living, I did not have the option to get on waiting lists at centers.  (well, I guess I could have, but it would have been silly to get on a list then end up buying a house 45 mintues away or something like that).  We closed on our house one week before DD was born, so I didn't find daycare until I was on maternity leave. Which by the way killed me because normally I'm a plan-everything-way-ahead-of-time fool.

Basically cold calling is how I found my in-home daycare lady. 

First I printed a list of all the ones near my house (Fairfax County has a website you can go to, I know DC is different, but sounds like MOTH may have that covered). 

Then my mom and I stuck newborn DD in the car seat and drove around to look at where exactly the places were, just to get a feel (since I had just moved to my neighborhood, I had no idea where anything was). 

I started by calling the person in the house that looked the tidiest and had a fenced in back yard with outdoor toys for the kids. Fortunately she had an opening when I needed it, and when I visited with her I loved her - still do.  I found her in March for an opening in April.  I had called a few other places and interviewed one other person, but she was just the clear choice.

You still have time, keep the faith!!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    I know I have seen some posts on DC Urban Moms recently.  It is really tough to find information though, I know!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have also been looking on DC Urban Moms. I actually met a woman yesterday with a 5 month old who found her day care on that website. I just posted last night on P/T daycare and was directed to this website: https://www.infanttoddler.com/

I haven't had much time to look at it in depth. It's probably been posted here a dozen times so I apologize in advance. :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hey there, we're in VA so it'll be a little different, but we also did the cold-calling.  I cold called A LOT of in homes.  Some knew (this was 7 months before she would start daycare) if they'd have a spot, some knew they wouldn't have a spot, and some said they would know 2-3 months out.  If you are only calling 2-3 months ahead of time, you should be able to definitely get some straight answers as to whether or not they will have a spot available. Since we didn't have any recommendations from friends/neighbors we only looked at licensed centers.   After I cold called, I eliminated a lot, then we went to visit our favorite 3 from the phone convos.  After that (they don't let you come when the kids are there the first time for safety reasons) we went back and visited while the kids were there a few times.  Then we picked our favorite and reserved a spot.  Some in homes will take deposits to reserve you a spot.  Ours didn't require it, but she required us to keep in contact with her once a week after Allison was born, so she knew we were still going to be using her.  We were able to reserve a spot 6 months before she started at the in-home.  Just get on the phone and start calling, it couldn't hurt!
  • Options
    Really late to this post, but I've heard that people have had really good experiences with Craigslist.  Obviously you have to read carefully, but it seems like there's a lot of promising stuff on there.  I think that's how JAR found one of her first providers?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ya know... I am looking on craigslist, and it sucks for DC. All the ads seemingly are for babysitters and nannies... no in-homes. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of options yet... :( Still searching though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"