VBAC

Once a VBAC always a VBAC?

Yes I know my LO is only 2 weeks old..l but DH and I do plan to have another baby in the future.  What is the procedure if you've already had a successful VBAC?  Are the chances of complications lower at this point?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Once a VBAC always a VBAC?

• First- yes, you are always a VBAC.  They will always label you as such.

Second- I believe the stats say that once you have successfully VBACed, your changes for future VBACs are extremely good (somewhere in the 90-95% area).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • A women in my Bradley class had her first child via c-section. She is now preparing for 8th VBAC. In her extreme case the VBAC discussion/label hasn't come up for a long time.

I believe your chance of rupture decreases after a successful VBAC.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Once you have had a VBAC, you odds of rupture go way down in future births and your odds of success go up (over 90%).

Unforunately it seems like some hospitals and doctors don't distinguish between a primary VBAC attempt and a mother who has already had a VBAC and treat them all the same.  We had a poster on here recently who had already had a VBAC and had a really tough time getting support to have another one.  Hopefully that won't be the case for you. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, there was a Mom in my VBAC class who had already had a VBAC years ago and then struggled to find a hospital/provider to have a 2nd VBAC.   She ended up going with an HBAC because she knew she'd go past due and no one would take her.  It's just silly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMAprincess:

First- yes, you are always a VBAC.  They will always label you as such.

Second- I believe the stats say that once you have successfully VBACed, your changes for future VBACs are extremely good (somewhere in the 90-95% area).

Ditto this, and like Iris said, your rupture risk goes down as well.

Stats!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10979328

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15458891

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19072472

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18238964 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • From my understanding, yes the risks are lower with subsequent VBACs after a successful one.  

I am planning my second VBAC for sometime this August, and the OB group I'm seeing hasn't even "batted an eye" whatsoever.  After going over the details of my VBAC with DS (with multiple OBs in this practice), all of the docs have said they see no issues with me being able to have another one with this baby.  

Just an FYI, this is a different hospital group in a different state than my VBAC with DS.  However, there are not many practices here in south TX that are even half as supportive as the one I'm with now.  And none of the hospitals here will even consider letting me have a waterbirth VBAC like I did in CO   ::sighs::

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Yes
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • In my state, primary VBACs require OB sign off in order to have a homebirth. Once a mom has had a VBAC, no sign off is required.

However - for many hospitals with VBAC bans, they consider a 2VBAC mom the same as a mom who has never had a vaginal birth.

So...it'll be easier, but that depends on area/location/practice just like anything else in birth.

(But, officially, risks goes down, success goes up.) 

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • I was wondering the same thing. I had a successful VBAC with number 2 and am hoping for the same for #3. I guess I will know more in 5 weeks when I speak with my OB.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"