Health & Exercise
Options

pp pounds

they r not coming off...i do 45 min intensely on elliptical 4-5 x week plus weight 3x. i eat well, ebf and baby wear....anyone overcome this? how?

Re: pp pounds

• Options

Weight loss is 80% exercise, 20% diet.  If you are still eating more calories than you are putting out then you will still gain.

Start logging your calories.  Your daily base should be 1600 (1200 for an avg. person w/o exercise + 400 for BF).  Then add an extra 200-300 on the days you work out.  If you workout hard for an hour eat 300 extra, if you are doing light exercise like a brisk walk or Yoga only eat an extra 200.  Make sure you are eating lots of fruit, veg, protein and lots of water.

I used MyFitnessPal.com to track my caloric intake and exercises for free and lost 80 lbs before getting KU again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Agree with PP. I just use caloriecount.about.com to log all my food and exercise and it works for me! I learn a lot too about the right nutritional balance. Don't forget to allow for muscle weight too!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Loose weight in the kitchen,  get fit at the gym =) 
    Pinterest.com ---> Great motivation and inspirational quotes amazing workout ideas and recipes ! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OK final clarification I don't need basic WL princeples I get those.  I am a gym bunny and always have been....but the PP weight isn't budging.  I eat well and create a calorie deficit.
  • Options
    weight loss is actually 80% of what you eat 20% exercise.  you can eat crappy all you want and exercise all.the.time and not loose anything, just maintain.  since it seems you are doing both maybe you need to change up your workout routine, you may have hit a plateau.  also when i would get stuck at the same wieght for awhile i would just eat horrible for a day and that seemed to help.  your body may be hanging on to fat because it needs some fat to get rid of it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    also i just noticed you are only about a month PP.  I waited until i was 6 weeks pp to hit the gym again and i BARELY lost 2 pounds in 6 weeks at the gym.  The doctor told me that after you have a baby , your body is hanging onto the fat because that is what it did when you were pregnant.  It takes a little while to get into the zone of coming off.
  • Options

imagevlagrl29:
    weight loss is actually 80% of what you eat 20% exercise.  

Oops, I got it backwards.  Thanks for catching that.

OP, if you are only a few weeks PP I wouldn't worry about it just yet.  It takes time and your body may just be adjusting to all of the changes.

• Options
    Also - you have to make sure you are actually eating enough. It's not just about a deficit. Your body will hang onto fat if it thinks you're starving it.
  • Options

As a dietitian, a mom, and pregnant for the 2nd time I will say I agree - weight loss happens in the kitchen.  However, it takes TIME to lose the weight you put on in 9 months!  One thing I find is that new moms are too busy to sit down to real meals and end up snacking all day or going way too long between eating.  Try to make it a priority to eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism going and prevent you from overeating when you have the chance to eat.  Rely on really easy things like: yogurt, nuts, fruit, turkey sandwiches, carrots with hummus, etc.  It's hard with a new baby to cook so don't set yourself up for failure.  

I have a blog (fitmomease.com) with lots of great ideas - also we're about to start a sugar challenge for those interested in cutting back on their sugar intake.  

Check out my challenge, I would love to you have join!  https://tinyurl.com/6uxov3k

Eve 

• Options
    i eat well, frequently ans am not overeating...or undereating .....i workout 5xs/week average 1900=2200 cals a day (i ebf).  sigh- i wasn't looking for basic wl princeples i know those...the lack of change isn't lining up w those right now....
  • Options
    I agree with PP.. it's recommended to wait 6 weeks before getting serious about exercise again anyway... AND you can't expect to lose all your baby weight being a month PP. I have lost all the baby weight plus 10 pounds, but I'm also over 8 months PP.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    I am a runner and generally healthy eater, but I did not try super hard to lose weight after DS was born.  Amazingly to me, I was 10 pounds below my pre-preg weight within 3 months.  I attribute that to EBFing.  BUT I also know women who EBFed and did try super hard to lose the weight and could never lose the last 5-10 pounds until they weaned their LO.  I think it's too early for you to be so worried about not losing, but it might be that your body wants to hold onto some fat while you are breastfeeding.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    OP, you need to give your body some time. I did everything you are doing, but the pounds didn't budge until about 7 months pp. I can't explain why. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know its frustrating, but since you are doing everything right, just give it some time!
  • Options

imageann_jeremiah:
    I agree with PP.. it's recommended to wait 6 weeks before getting serious about exercise again anyway... AND you can't expect to lose all your baby weight being a month PP. I have lost all the baby weight plus 10 pounds, but I'm also over 8 months PP.

i'm 7 weeks pp not a month and had docs ok to resume exercise at 5 weeks.....

• Options
    Your hormones are still all out of whack and regulating them selves. Have your doc monitor your thyroid. Sometimes you can have an underlying thyroid issue that won't show up in blood work till several months pp.
  • Options
    it sux, but it just takes time....i can say that doing cardio all.the.time is what really helped me loose 1 pound per week and eating well which you are doing.  weight training helped tone it up.  have your thyroid checked too, they can be out of wack PP
  • Options

OP, I am going through the same thing! I lost 20 pounds after having my son and the rest is not budging.  I am active and very careful about what I eat.  I think hormones are playing a role for me and I am getting my thyroid checked at my annual physical on Friday.  I understand how frustrating it is! I am also planning to work out harder.  I also have a body bugg that I have not set up yet- I think if that's in your budget that might help as well, so you can see exactly how much you are burning and carefully log how much you are consuming. Good luck!

ETA: i also breastfeed and baby wear 

• Options
    for me I wasnt able to lose all the weight until my son was sleeping through the night..which was like 10 months. I think living off of 3 hrs of sleep for so long your bodys metabolism is suuuper slow..just a thought?
  • Options

What's "eating well" in your book? For me, it helped tremendously when I cut out anything that was processed. Basically what I do eat are organic fruits & vegetables, organic nut butters, raw almonds, organic eggs, almond milk, luna bars, grass fed meats, and sprouted grain breads/tortillas (because they're low GI). I lost all my twin weight by 3 months post-partum plus another 40 and have stayed under my goal weight for 5 months and counting.

For me, any little slip up in food and I immediately gain weight - even if I'm working out every single day.

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your 7 weeks pp and you said your doctor ok'd you to start working out at 5 weeks. so that gives you 2 weeks of time to work off your weight so I really don't think I'd be that worried about it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"