School-Aged Children

Combo varicella+MMR vaccine=sick child?

My DD is 4.5 years old and had her 2nd varicella and MMR vaccines on Monday March 5th. On Thursday, she developed nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. She has been like this for the last 2 days and still feels bad today (Saturday). Before I chalk it up to a flu bug, I was just curious if any others had this issue with their child and these vaccines?

Re: Combo varicella+MMR vaccine=sick child?

• I don't know where you live, but in my area (Maryland) the flu is really making the rounds.  Late winter/early spring is a prime time of year for both classic influenza and the stomach bug.  Weather is still sketchy, kids have been indoors rubbing elbows all winter, etc.

From what I understand it's much more rare for a kid to have a reaction to the second round of a vaccine.  She would have had MMR and varicella at around 12 to 15 months, right?  Also, the reaction is usually a fever and swollen glands -- not usually nausea. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DD got this last summer and she had a reax a week later with a low grade fever.  that was pretty much it and it was easily treated with Motrin for a couple days.  She had the same reax when she got it at 1 y/o too.  My guess is she picked up a bug at the Peds office/health clinic while she was there getting her shots.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"