Postpartum Depression
Options

weaning off meds (zoloft)

I've been on Zoloft for about 15 months now, for PPA (anxiety) and D. I'm feeling really good now, and at a good place, and I really feel like I'm ready to wean off them. My OB just kinda wrote the script and left me on my own (both for starting it and weaning off). I know I need to slowly wean off... just looking for some suggestions as to how, if you have?

Could I do 1/2 a pill one night, a full pill the next night, and rotate back and forth like that for a week or 2, then switch to 1/2 pill every night for a week or 2, then 1/2 pill every other night, then stop? My body reacted very strongly to starting the meds, and it was a slow process to get to what I'm at now (50mg), so I'm assuming weaning off will be rough too...

Also, if you gained weight while on it, did it just fall off after you went off the meds? Was it relatively easy? I've gained about 10 lbs and I'm almost positive it's from the Zoloft and from talking to my OB at my last visit, it very well could be. Just curious your experiences w/ that too. TIA!
CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: weaning off meds (zoloft)

• Options

well, a doctor really has to lead you through weaning this type of medication, but I will tell you what I am doing.

I was on 20mg of prozac, and when I started weaning, I first reduced my dose to 10mg, I took 10mg for a week, then reduced it again to 5mg, I did this for a week, and then take it on monday, not take it on tuesday, take it on wednesday, for a week, then I took it every two days, for a week, and now I am taking it every third day, so it is a very slow but safe (i believe) process... 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I made the mistake of weaning too quickly and 2nd that you need supervision.  DH really just isn't that observant when it comes to this sort of stuff.  I weaned in November and am now thinking I may need to go back on due to increased suicidal thoughts (no plans just quick flashes of thoughts).

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"