3rd Trimester
Options

Ridiculous Grandparent Name

My mom wants to be called Gram-Grammy (b/c she thinks grandma makes her sound old o.O)... Which I think both the name & her attitude are ridiculous.

When she mentioned this, it was while we were discussing Kendall & baby things, along the lines I asked if she was excited to be a Grandma. She abruptly stated, "don't call me Grandma, makes me sound old!" "Okaaaay..... What do you want to be called I responded?"

So she sat there for a moment going uuummmm, ummm (clearly hadn't thought about her 'grandma name') then blurted out Gram-Grammy... I'm thinking to myself, 1-her attitude sucks, 2-how is a young toddler suppose to pronounce this easily & 3-what a ridiculous name to come up with.

My mother is a 'special woman' of sorts & nuts! to say the least.

Re: Ridiculous Grandparent Name

• Options
    Well...maybe she will hear it be said a few times and change her mind or even hear your LO attempt it?  I don't know what to tell you...except that it is unique!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My mom is known as "grammies" to my step siblings kids... I can't stand it ... dd calls her grams which I'm totally fine with. My MIL was a PITA about being named "grandma" so she's Nona (Italian) and even her sister is the same way ... her granddaughter called her "Q" because she could never decide... now that's weird. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my mom became a grandmother at 49, and she said call me Grand Nanny! My neice who is now 8 still calls her that....but my DS who is 3 calls her Gamma....so kids call there G-parents what they want! lol the other 2 g-kids 5 and 2 call her nanny! lol  How about my father-in-law wants my DS to call him Wise Elder....lol hehe DS calls him Grandpa what he calls my dad!! mother in law is Nana :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I always hate it when Grandmas don't want to be called "grandma" because it makes them sound old. You're a grandma, get over it. I think "Gram-grammy" sounds just as "old", but that's just my opinion. If it were me I'd just wait it out and let LO decided what they want to call her. I have a feeling "gram-grammy" isn't going to come out right when they try to say it anyway.
  • Options
    My mother in law wants to be called Molly. It's not her name. She just picked a random woman's name for my child to call her. I think it's bizzare.
    Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with DS, my mother said she wanted to be called "Lovey."  I thought it was ridiculous, but just ignored the issue.  DS started calling her Nana all on his own, and now she's okay with that.  Hopefully your LO will come up with something better than Gram-Grammy!
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagegracielou314:
    My mother in law wants to be called Molly. It's not her name. She just picked a random woman's name for my child to call her. I think it's bizzare.

My mother wanted to do something like this too (I actually think Molly was the name as well,) this of course is after she said that she would rather be called "Aunt Pam" instead, because she's not old enough to be a "grandma."  She finally settled on MiMi (spelled that way...don't know why).

DH's mother decided from the second we talked about having kids that she was going to be called GiGi (we had no say in this matter), and that her husband, DH's father would be LoLo...I don't like either of these, as I feel like it sounds like two names for a dog, but- ultimately the child will decide what to call the "grandparents" so, it doesn't really matter what they try to call themselves! 

• Options

imagegracielou314:

LOL!  That is very weird!!!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagegracielou314:

Now THAT is just weird.

• Options
    My mom is Nana, my mom chose this name for herself.  My dad and step mom are Pop Pop & Mom Mom, my nephew (the first grandkid) chose these names for htem.  DH's mom is Gama, her first grandkid couldn't pronounce Grandma so it came out as Gama and stuck.  At first I didn't like Gama but now I do after getting to know my in-laws.  I think you're child will have come up with their own name.  Other's I have heard are Grams, Gigi, Nonni.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My grandparents were "Me-mommy and G-Daddy" and "Ninny." I came up with Ninny when I was a baby and it's what my younger brother and I always called her. To my older sister and the rest of the family she was always just "Grandmother."

To my neice my mom is "G-Deb" (her name is Debi) and her other grandmother is "Dolly" (their last name is Dahl)

We have yet to determine what my dad or hubby's mom will be called!

• Options
    i don't know why, but I really have a problem with this issue.  it sticks in my craw.  I have always called my grandparents grandma and grandpa.  My first set of children called all of their grandparents the same.  Now I am remarried and we are having a little girl and my MIL said she wants to be called Nanna.  I said "oh, you can call yourself whatever you want to, but I will call you grandma" she then said how will the baby know me apart from your mother then?"  I told her I had 2 grandma's and 2 greatgrandma's and amazingly (ya know since I am not a moron) I kept them all straight just fine.  Never confused one for the other.  Good luck.  oh and the molly name made me laugh out loud.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

My mom is Eebee (like the letters E.B.) and my dad is Papa. I'm not a huge fan of Eebee, but if it makes her happy, whatever. Riley has been able to say it for a LONG time so I guess it's a good choice as far as that goes. lol. 

DH's parents are "Grandmommy" and "Grandaddy." I think it's fine, but I have a hard time seeing an 18 year old guy calling them that.  

• Options
    I think they should be called whatever they want. My mom is Lollie and I love it. I think there are bigger battles to fight and this one is plain silly. 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

In the end, the child will choose what they call their grandparents, IMO.  My friend's mom wanted to be Gram, but her granddaughters both call her Gaga (started way before Lady Gaga came around).  My friend's older cousins call their grandmother Memere, but my friend couldn't pronounce that when he was little so he started calling her Mimi.

I'm pretty sure that my mom and MIL will be so thrilled to be grandmothers that they won't care what DD calls them (but they both say they want to be called Nannie)

• Options

My mom is going to be called "Oma" because she is from Germany -- and that is the German name for Grandma - which I am fine with....

My MIL on the other hand is an idiot --and she refuses to be called Grandma, Nana, etc.  She is to be called "GiGi" (Pronounced Gee-Gee).  She is so prissy and wants to be better than everyone and is one of those hoity-toity people.  DH and I want our kid to call her Nanny or something super old sounding just to tick her off! She also refuses to call our soon-to-be son, Robbie, she keeps calling him Robert.  Drives me INSANE!!!

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imagegracielou314:

You win.  LOL!  

My mom wants to be called "Gammy" or "Mawgie."  I used to call her Mawgie when I was little because I couldn't say Mama or Mommy... I had speech issues.  I'm pushing for Mawgie because I think its original and has such a personal meaning.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options

Apparently my g-mom (on my mother's side) joked about being too young to be a grandmother when my oldest bro was born (she was around 50).  She decided to be called Mom-Mom.  We've always called her that (my g-dad was Pop-Pop).  My mom actually liked it so much that now SHE is Mom-Mom to our son (dad is Pop-Pop to him). 

DH's parents are Grammy & Grampy to their g-kids.

I think some women just have that sudden "oh yikes, MY babies are old enough for babies??" kind of moment & it can scare them.  My mom was way ready to be a grandmother but apparently her mom wasn't ready for the change ^_^.

But I do agree, Gram-Grammy is a bit... odd.  Why not just stick with Gram OR Grammy?  There's so many grandparent names out there now that she should be able to find one she likes that doesn't make her feel/sound "old"

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • Options

This whole concept blows me away.  My "grandma" became a "grandma" when she was 45 years old.  My mom didn't become a grandma until she was 55.  In many cases, moms are older now that they are becoming Grandmas.My mom never said anything about being too young, too old, nothing.

On the flip side, I have a "friend" who had a baby in high school.  Last year that "baby" came home and announced she was having a baby.  So she's becoming a grandma at 35, she was a mom at 15.  I could see how she might be struggling with the title "grandma."  

I'd also like to point out my excellent usage of quotation marks in this post.  Smile

• Options

imagejessandandy09:
    i don't know why, but I really have a problem with this issue.  it sticks in my craw.  I have always called my grandparents grandma and grandpa.  My first set of children called all of their grandparents the same.  Now I am remarried and we are having a little girl and my MIL said she wants to be called Nanna.  I said "oh, you can call yourself whatever you want to, but I will call you grandma" she then said how will the baby know me apart from your mother then?"  I told her I had 2 grandma's and 2 greatgrandma's and amazingly (ya know since I am not a moron) I kept them all straight just fine.  Never confused one for the other.  Good luck.  oh and the molly name made me laugh out loud.

This. 

• Options
    erb82erb82 member
    I didn't know anyone else had this issue!  My MIL, whom I generally get along with really well, was totally insane about this.  We asked what she wanted to be called and she said not Grandma (that's too old sounding), not Nana, not Gran or Granny, just let the baby call me whatever she wants.  We tried to explain that the baby was not going to invent a name and we needed some way to refer to her when she wasn't around, and finally she came up with a twist on her own first name.  DD is over a year and I still feel stupid every time I say it.  And the worst part was that FIL wanted to be called Nonno, which is Italian for grandpa.  He's 100% Italian, and MIL won't let him because SHE'S not Italian.  I guess if this is the worst MIL problem I have, I'm really lucky though! :)
  • Options

imagegisa886:
    I think they should be called whatever they want. My mom is Lollie and I love it. I think there are bigger battles to fight and this one is plain silly. 

This. It's a name. Not worth getting worked up over.

• Options
    My parents have settled on Lolli (or Lolly or Lollie... that hasn't been decided) and Pop.  My MIL already refers to herself as Ganny for our dogs, so I imagine that will stick for her as well.  I was worried about what LO would call my SMIL, but now that she and FIL are getting a divorce, I don't have to worry about it!
  • Options

imagejessandandy09:

This exactly. To me, "Granny," "Nanny," "Memaw," "Mimi," and the likes just sound redneck. Ew.

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

They sent a card after we announced to them at Thanksgiving and she signed it, "Love, Molly and Papa". I asked DH, "Who the F is Molly?" He has NO idea where it came from. This will be their first grandchild and she's never been called Molly before. She's an odd lady.

Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My fil was like that before dd was born. He said Grandpa sounded too old and that he wanted to be called "Big G" (his name is Gary). luckily DH and I were both on the same page.. DH told him our daughter would not be calling ANYONE "Big G" and to choose something else. He never chose, so DH and I just started calling him Grandpa (last name) and eventually dd just started calling him Poppa on her own. lol now he adores the name because she chose it and is so proud to be her "poppa"!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My parents are easy...my mother is Gram and my father is Pop Pop.  We figured this out pretty quickly when my first niece was born 10 years ago.  Easy peasy.

DH's parents have Polish backgrounds, so we'll be taking those names for them.  MIL will be Babci (pronounced "bap-shee"...I know this isn't the correct spelling, but this is the way his family has spelled it in the past) and FIL will be Dziadek (pronounced "jah-deck").  This is what they're already using for my two nephews and niece (BIL's kids).

I guess we got off fairly easy, since our LO is not the first child on either side (third on one and fourth on the other)!

-Michele Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagegisa886:

DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    i have a coworker that has her granddaughter call her grandiva.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    my mil wants to be called mumzie and my fil G... i justcall her grandma i never remember mumzie
  • Options

imagegisa886:

I don't get it either.  My parents are Pinky and Big John. I have known very few grandparents that are actually called "Grandma" and "Grandpa" or whatever.

• Options
    I have a Grandma we call Grammy. My little sister couldn't pronounce Grandma and would just say Grammy and it stuck. In some cases it's up to what the child ends up calling them :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hahah, MIL requested to be called Gam Gam...whatever lady. DS does call her gam gam and I think it's silly.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

When my son was born, my mom made a point to let everyone know she wants to be called Grandmother, lol.  My son couldn't say it when he started talking so he called her Gammie.  So much for the Grandmother thing...Sometimes kids come up with their own names.

• Options

I know our Moms can be annoying (I loose patience with mine all the time) but that being said, I really dont see what the big deal is? So she wants to be called something else, who cares! It's silly and you can tease her about it, but it's really not a big deal. I wouldn't be offended by it. It makes her happy! I have heard of lots of grandma's being called other things than the typical "grandma". And, if both are around some people having 2 Grandma's and 2 Grandpa's can be confusing. GramGrammy is kind of fun and cute! I'm sure if you 2 year old cant pronounce it they will say Gram or Grammy.

Just a side note, my half sisters called their grandparents, "Momma Casey" and "Dadda Casey" and I called mine "Yiya" and "Poppu". My Yiya was Greek. So not that my Mom is going to be a grandma, she insists she is now called Yiya too, even though she is 1/2 Greek, has never been to Greece and does not know how to speak Greek. (My Yiya was from Greece and English was her second language) I think it's silly but whatever! My Mom is silly.

• Options
    imageChelseyB5186:

imagegracielou314:

My mother wanted to do something like this too (I actually think Molly was the name as well,) this of course is after she said that she would rather be called "Aunt Pam" instead, because she's not old enough to be a "grandma."  She finally settled on MiMi (spelled that way...don't know why).

DH's mother decided from the second we talked about having kids that she was going to be called GiGi (we had no say in this matter), and that her husband, DH's father would be LoLo...I don't like either of these, as I feel like it sounds like two names for a dog, but- ultimately the child will decide what to call the "grandparents" so, it doesn't really matter what they try to call themselves! 

Lol, my mom is called GiGi (spelled this way).   Her last name starts with a G though so it made sense, and I pretend it stand for "Grandma G____" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageChelseyB5186:

imagegracielou314:

Lol, my mom is called GiGi (spelled this way).   Her last name starts with a G though so it made sense, and I pretend it stand for "Grandma G____" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will also add I grew up with Granny and Grandpa, Grandma and Papa, a Nannie and a MeMaw. I love having everyone be different 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    My step mom is DS's only grandmother and she too feels too young to be called Grandma. She we settled on "Bethy" (her name is Beth), but my dad is "grandpa". 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecarabear80:
    My mom is Nana, my mom chose this name for herself.  My dad and step mom are Pop Pop & Mom Mom, my nephew (the first grandkid) chose these names for htem.  DH's mom is Gama, her first grandkid couldn't pronounce Grandma so it came out as Gama and stuck.  At first I didn't like Gama but now I do after getting to know my in-laws.  I think you're child will have come up with their own name.  Other's I have heard are Grams, Gigi, Nonni.

This my mom is gaga first name, since he could not say grandma and still uses it. My MIL is grandma first name, he never buttered up to her as much. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"