Two Under 2

Put your fears to rest!

I lurk more than I post, but I really needed to tell my twounder two success story and also to give all of you nervous mothers out theresome piece of mind. My kids are 18 months apart. My son was a disaster pregnancy and birth. We knew we wanted two so I told my husband that I wasn't getting any younger. I was already high risk and if we were going to have a second child, we were going to have it soon. I got pregnant with #2 when my son was 10 months. First trimester was rough with morning sickness and exhaution but a complete 180 from my first pregnancy. I was going to a high risk doctor and I had the most uneventful pregnancy imaginable. All I kept thinking was, our first kid is so good (slept through the night by 5 month, is sweet and happy), the next one will be a nightmare. I went in for an induction because my kids like the womb a little too much, and my daughter ended up being breech. A c-secition later and she was born, exactly 18 months after my son. We were extremely neurotic with my son. We stressed over everything, worried and fought a lot. This time around, we were pros. I actually have gotten to enjoy my daughters infancy. Granted, she has been sleeping 12 hours a night since 2 months and is an extremely good natured and happy child, but even if she was more challenging, I think it would have been better. We take things in stride. I think it's easier having two than it was dealing with one and not knowing what we were doing. Dont get me wrong, it hasn't been a complete picnic. I couldn't pick up our son for 6 weeks after the c-section and he held a major grudge. On top of that, for the first few weeks, he was teething, whiny, waking up 3-4 times a night and just being a tyrant. The baby was only waking up once a night! This was unlike him and, thank goodness, we seem to have gotten through most of it now. he's still pretty whiny (pre-terrible twos?) but much more bearable. Anyway, please feel free to ask questions or make comments. I just want to tell you that it's possible that the situation will be better than you ever imagined. I expect the worst and hope for the best. We got really lucky. Hang in there, all of you nervous ladies, it's going to work out great! Now I'm just waiting for the day when my son doesn't act like his sister has cooties! Baby steps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Put your fears to rest!

• gin78gin78 member

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, I'm on an iPad.

• Thanks for the info.  Not expecting my next yet but we hope for two under or nearly under two.  It is good to hear you can get two decent babyhood experiences.  (Now returns to lurker status)
  • Loading the player...
  • Our DD is/was a very easy baby and everyone tells us the next won't be.  It's nice to hear it doesn't have to be like that!  And, sleeping 12 hours at 2 months???
  • gin78gin78 member

Well, I have a monster toddler too, so I understand!  Most of it is teething, but some days, well, lets just day he's a major challenge!  He was so good up until 18 months, then the fun began!  I figure the little one came along, took one look at her brother and though, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut!  

Either way, at this point for most of us, it's a little too late to stress!  Ha!  What's done is done and I guess some days it's just better to look at it like it's a challenge!  Just take one day at a time (holy cliches!) and it will all work out.  Two under two is amazing and worth it!  

• I'm scared that I'm going to be underprepared, with DS I never really had any of those 'first-time new mom fears', which is totally not my personality, but I've been around babies most of my life, my little sisters are 19 and 22 years younger than me, most of my friends kids are between 5-10 years old (or older).  I don't know exactly what it is, but I never stressed and still don't, I watch DS closely, but let him figure things out even if I'm afraid he's about to fall or hurt himself in some way, I'm far from crazy overprotective.  Anyway, I feel like 2 will not really be a big deal, of course I know there will be hard periods, but I'm just not stressed about it.

All of that said, every once in a while I get a little concerned that I am not stressed or anxious enough...lol, I will be having a rcs when DS is 18.5 months old and DH will be around for the first couple weeks, but then he will be really busy with work and it may be a lot harder than I am mentally prepared for, I just hope I'm not setting myself up for a disaster!

Your story helps me continue to feel confident, I just hope it works out as well for me as it has for you, thank you for sharing! 

image image image
  • Thanks for posting! It is always good to hear positive stories. I also am hoping to enjoy the newborn stage more than I did with #1. I think one big thing is that with the first you don't know when it will get easier whereas the second time you know it goes fast!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"