February 2011 Moms

When To Face Car Seat Forward

My little one just turned 1, is 22 lbs and is rather tall for his age. I'm a little confused on when exactly it is okay to face him forward. Is it okay for my little one to face forward? Does it depend on the car seat? Can someone give me some clarification please? Thx!

Re: When To Face Car Seat Forward

• It's not dependent on the seat. It's dependent on age and weight. The AAP recommends rear facing until two years old. Law, however, varies state to state. In my state, the law is that you must rear face until the child is 1 year or 20 lbs, whatever comes later. We are going to rear face until the next time I have to take the seat out for another reason, which i don't see for a while. 
  • Google forward vs. Rear facing and watch some videos and then PLEASE keep you child rear-facing. I do NOT get the desire to turn them. The statistics are astronomical (something like they're 80% more likely to die forward facing)- don't quote me exactly on that. Rear facing=cast it, forward facing= casket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • While I agree with you that they should stay rear facing as long as possible, I don't agree with the fear-mongering. It's not like she asked when to turn her three-month old around.
  • I know the recommendation is 2 years... I'm not sure we'll last that long, but I'm trying to hold out as long as possible!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • He is going to stay rear facing as long as possible. Even if that means his legs are scrunched. My Bff's family dr said it was fine to turn her DD at a year, but my pedi said not until 2.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • We won't be turning DD until she exceeds the height/weight limits of the seat. Plenty of research supports rear facing is safest.

I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Just had our 1 year checkup yesterday - DD is 24lbs. Doc said to keep her rear facing for as long as possible. In my car she will stay rear facing until she reaches the weight limit for the car seat to be rear facing(30lbs). In DH's truck we needed to turn her forward facing because of how the seat fits - she rides in the truck maybe once a month. Doc said that was fine - it's just best to keep them rear facing as long as possible.

Really it is up to you as a parent to decide what works best for you. Between me and several friends with kids about the same age it's about 50/50 for rear or forward facing. I know that probably doesn't help but that's the "fun" part of parenting - you get to make the tough decisions. Smile

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We'll rear-face until at least 2 as well, but with a compact sedan, I totally get why people want to forward face as soon as they can.  There is zero leg room up front when the seat is rear facing.  I'm lucky I'm only 5' and don't mind sitting crosslegged.  We had to put the carseat behind the passenger seat even though safety recommendations say middle is best, because if it was in the middle there wouldn't be enough room for my husband to squeeze behind the wheel to drive.  That's unsafe, too. 
    imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • burn me if you want but I am a forward facer right now. 
  • IVE been debating this issue too. i have two older sons (15 and 16) i forward faced them the day they turned one. my 10 yr old daughter too. they change the rules with everything. i was a belly sleeper my mom said, i put my sons on there stomachs. so it really is what you feel comfortable with, im waiting a little longer but will probably turn her around in the next couple months shes only 21 pounds. good luck on your  decision

• IVE been debating this issue too. i have two older sons (15 and 16) i forward faced them the day they turned one. my 10 yr old daughter too. they change the rules with everything. i was a belly sleeper my mom said, i put my sons on there stomachs (just an example of how they change rules). so it really is what you feel comfortable with, im waiting a little longer but will probably turn her around in the next couple months shes only 21 pounds. good luck on your  decision

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"