16 Weeks Pregnant
Options

sleeping position?

Hi all! I'm 16 weeks with my first this week--so excited. :) I have a question about sleeping positions. I've always slept on my side or back but recently I've been waking up flat on my stomach. I'm not showing very much yet, so it's not terribly uncomfortable, but it's strange because having a pillow in my face while I sleep has always kind of freaked me out.

At any rate, is it safe to sleep on your belly while pregnant? I'm halfway afraid that I'm squishing the baby, but I can't tell if that's a silly thought or not. 

Re: sleeping position?

• Options
    Ive always heard whatever is comfortable to you is comfortable to the baby. If this is your first then your probably not showing to much like me. There will come a time when it is uncomfortable to sleep on your tummy and then you will need to try to stay on your side or back. For me, even though im not really showing, its not comfortable for me anymore.
  • Options

Hi, I just read in my pregnancy book that from week 16 onward, sleeping on your back is dangerous to the baby - it's hard for me to sleep on my side, my husband has been helping as well to shift me over should he wake up and find me on my back...has anyone else heard this? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I read about sleeping on your back being dangerous for the baby, but it is THE most comfortable for me?  I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I've tried sleeping on my sides, but my thighs/bones start to ache?  Has anyone invested in one of those pregnancy pillow things?  I wonder if it will help?
  • Options

I've heard this as well and am traditionally a back sleeper. If anyone has suggestions for successfully modifying your sleep position I'm all ears. I have tried a body pillow but have only tried using it as a bumper behind my back while I sleep in my side, in hopes of keeping me from rolling on to my back. It sort of works, but my husband wakes up throughout the night and if he finds me on my back, he nudges me to go back on my side. Bottom line, I've been told that if you wake up on your back, don't freak out, just reposition yourself and you'll be fine. I'm hoping that as my belly grows, I will naturally find side sleeping more comfortable.

• Options
    I'm a tummy sleeper, so pregnancy really messes that up.  The only way I can sleep is with my body pillow. I put it in front of my stomach to add extra cushion and keep me propped up. Sometimes I put another pillow behind me to keep me off my back. We need a king size bed because with all these pillows, there's barely room for DH in bed and I'm not even showing yet!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • Options
    I bought the wedge pillow, it helps you sleep on your side but its hard so not really that comfortable. Body pillow wasnt comfy either.
  • Options
    I asked my doctor this exact question.  She said, if I am still comfortable to lay on my belly, then baby is fine.  She also said that I will start to notice when it isn't comfortable anymore, and eventually won't be able too.  I can say that I have noticed its not comfortable for me in the last few weeks.  You are just fine!! :) Baby is safe. :) Congrats!!
  • Options
    I bought a body pillow from target and use it to help me sleep on my side.  I will put the body pillow in front of me lengthwise and then put the bottom between my legs.  This helps for comfort.  I also put another pillow behind me to help support my back.  I will usually flip over in the middle of the night to get a little more comfortable. My doctor told me that sleeping on your back is not good but mainly starting around week 20.  Your blood pressure can drop and this will cause less blood and oxygen to get to the baby.  Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
  • Options

I bought a pregnancy pillow and just started using it and it does really help. I've always slept on my back but have also read that it's better to sleep on your side(left). I just started sleeping on my side and actually getting used to it! Good Luck!!!

• Options

I broke down and bought a Snoogle pillow and it was the best decision I've made so far!  I was sleeping with 3 pillows and driving my husband crazy, but I still wasn't sleeping very well.  I bought the Snoogle pillow a few days ago and wish I'd bought it sooner. It's definitely supportive and helps you feel comfortable on your side.  I highly recommend getting one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"