Two Under 2
Options

GMC Acadia/ other similar SU/s (3 carseats) long question

We are expecting twins in the fall, DD will be about 14.5 months when they arrive. Our camry will not work anymore. DH is legally blind so we are a one car family at all times. 

We will have DD in her Safety 1st smart air RF seat, and would like to keep her RF as long as possible. The twins will be in either chicco keyfit 30s or Britax b-safes.

I think it will be too much to have all 3 seats on a 2nd row bench seat, and not even sure all that would fit. So we are considering captains seats for the 2nd row and putting DD on the 3rd row. Do you think DD's seat would fit RF on the 3rd row? Because of her age, we will be putting her in the seat, so easy access to her seat will be key. 

Do you think an Acadia would work with our needs? What else would you suggest (SU/, carseat configuration)? Does the Acadia have nice trunk space? We will have the Joovy Big Caboose stroller w/ us. 

Any suggestions would be great, thanks! 

Re: GMC Acadia/ other similar SU/s (3 carseats) long question

• Options
    We have the Acadia with the captains seats in the 2nd row. I think it may be a tight fit. The is the 2nd row captains seats move back and forth like the front seats do. You could move the passenger seat all the way up then the 2nd row captains seat behind the passenger seat up as well. The 3rd row is a 60/40 spit seat so you can have the 60 part down to accomodate the stroller. We have fit our City Mini double stroller in the trunk with the 3rd row up and it fit fine with packages in the back too. I think it could work. Honestly I love my car so much I would make it work!

My suggestion is to go to the dealership and try the car seats in the car. We did this when we test drove it. We has a Chicco KeyFit behind the passenger side and a Graco MyRide 65 rear facing behind the driver. We have also had a Evenflo Triumph Advance rear facing also behind the driver but we replaced it with the Graco. We have lots of space and easy access to the 3rd row...
  • Options
    I would get a minivan. The Acadia/Enclave/Traverse/Outlook suv's have hardly any cargo space with the third row up. Like just enough for a stroller on it's side kinda thing. The doors are also huge and heavy... tough to deal with in parking lots when getting kiddos in and out of the car. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We wanted an SUV, an Acadia is the only one we could both agree on. I agree captain's seats over bench is the way to go because you don't want to have to move a seat to get DD in the back every time.

We ended up going with a Chrysler Town and Country minivan and I am SO glad we gave into it. Our double stroller wouldn't fit in the Acadia, which made us look elsewhere. We have a sun roof, navigation, back-up camera, power folding seats, dual DVD system and that is just the start--we would've never found an SUV with all of these features for the price. It is so great and will be spacious for years to come. I recommend you atleast look at one, can't hurt! ;) 

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• Options

With the 3rd row in, you will not have even close to enough room for your stroller alone.

THat is the problem with the Acadia/Traverse crossovers- you lose all cargo room with the 3rd row in.

You'd be better off looking at a minivan or a large SUV like a Yukon XL (Suburban).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have a Tahoe, and in that there's really NO cargo space w/ the 3rd row up. I mean, I can't even fit a brown paper shopping bag in there, let alone an umbrella stroller.

But, my ILs just got a Traverse and we were able to fit 2 really large suitcases in the "trunk" with the 3rd row up, + the umbrella stroller and a couple carry on bags. So the cargo space is definitely better in there.

My friend has an Acadia and she can fit her double stroller back there no problem with the 3rd row up. She has 3 kids, but her oldest just turned 4, so no RF there...

An other option, if you really don't want a van (which, to be honest, is probably your easiest choice here, though I totally understand not wanting one ;) I don't know if you could remove a 3rd row seat in the Acadia? I think it would be a PITA to have to climb back there every time to buckle your DD in RF. But in the Tahoe, you can leave 1 back seat up and remove the other in the 3rd row. That way you'd have easy access from the trunk space and could get her in/out that way. That's what we did when we had a friend join us in our Tahoe, RF in the 3rd row w/ my 2 DD's in the bucket seats.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

I think you should just try it at the dealer.  

My Acadia is the same length as an Odessey that has parked next to me.  I don't understand how the Acadia loses any more cargo space than the minivan unless the Acadia has more passenger room...in that case, I'd take that over cargo space any day.

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Options
    imageJenniferL923:

I think you should just try it at the dealer.  

My Acadia is the same length as an Odessey that has parked next to me.  I don't understand how the Acadia loses any more cargo space than the minivan unless the Acadia has more passenger room...in that case, I'd take that over cargo space any day.

ITA! Don't knock the Acadia until you try it. Yes the doors are heavier than I was initially used to but I actually prefer them now. They close on their own most of the time because of their weight. The trunk is small compared to a 2 row SUV but it's totally doable. Our double stroller fits in there, as does our diaper bag, groceries and jackets. It plenty enough room for us. The 3rd row cannot be taken out as far as I know, but it does lay flat. I fit a crib 2 times in there, a dresser a queen sized mattress and that's WITH the 2nd row up and the kids in their car seats. I am not a minivan fan and I love my car. I would try it out and see how it works.
  • Options
    I would look at the Buick Enclave too.  It is the same size/similar make to the Acadia.  We are probably going to buy my parent's Enclave off them next year.  My dad claims (and I am taking his word for it at this point since I haven't test driven the Acadia) that the Buick drives like a car and the GMC drives like a truck.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"