TTC After a Loss

ovulate with hcg still in system?

So I had a natural miscarriage on 2/14. Betas were 8000 when I went to the ER. Ultrasound showed everything had passed the next day and never had second beta done (really wish I had now!). Anyway, my dr gave us the ok to ttc if we are ready. I have randomly been taking pregnancy tests and opks. Opks look positive and pregnancy tests still have the slightest line?

My question is if I can still ovulate with a small amount of hcg still in my system? I'm afraid the opks only look positive because they are picking up the left over hcg, but I do have what appears to be very fertile cm. I'm charting my temp so maybe i'll see a shift. Just curious what others have experienced...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ovulate with hcg still in system?

• You can ovulate with HCG in your system. The way my OB explained it, is that once levels start to fall it signals the hormone which stops ovulation to go away. But, if your pregnancy tests are still coming up positive, chances are the OPKs are picking up the HCG and turning them positive. The only way to know for sure is through temping. I would take a HPT once a week until it is negative and see where you opks go from there.
    photo 35d244fc-d783-4f72-9f87-95af3ae7a0be.jpgLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yes, it is possible to ovulate. As pp said the hcg could be affecting the opk's.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • imagechop2428:
    You can ovulate with HCG in your system. The way my OB explained it, is that once levels start to fall it signals the hormone which stops ovulation to go away. But, if your pregnancy tests are still coming up positive, chances are the OPKs are picking up the HCG and turning them positive. The only way to know for sure is through temping. I would take a HPT once a week until it is negative and see where you opks go from there.

Thank you! I figured as much with the OPKs, I'll just continue temping to see what happens.  I'm addict and take a pregnancy test almost everyother day, they at least seem to be getting lighter and lighter. Never thought i'd want to see a negative so badly :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yep I ovulated last cycle which was my first post-m/c cycle and I still had hCG in my system, I know because they were monitoring my hCG 1-3 X per week.

I was charting my temps just to see what my body would do.  On CD 19 (counting CD 1 as the first day I started bleeding heavily from cytotec) I had a huge temp spike.  That day I also had an ultrasound because of what my beta had come back with that week and the tech happened to mention during it, that it looked like I had ovulated recently - confirming my temp spike was O.  That day I think my hCG was at 35 - so it was low, but present.

When I asked my doctor if it's even possible to ovulate while hCG is present in your system, she said that it is and that they had suspected I might have conceived again and wondered if that might be why my levels had been up earlier in the week (but DH & I hadn't had sex since we conceived the baby we lost) 

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"