Multiples

Pediatricians...

Is there anything specific I should look for with a pediatrician since I'm having twins?  Does that play into anything?  I'm kind of clueless and I'm starting the search since I'm in a somewhat new town.  TIA!
BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pediatricians...

• Maybe not necessary, but I asked whether they administer RSV shots, their thoughts on delayed vaccination schedules if they are preemies, whether they would see them in the hospital or after discharge (whenever that may be), and whether they had an isolation entrance for the itty bitty's.  One thing that they do have that I really like, singleton or multiples, is a LC on staff full time.
    *** Sisterwife with JenniferLuvsCandy! can't wait to meet your LO!***
    ***Congrats to Kristin15172004 on your adorable baby girl!***
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We won't be but only because we already have a pedi that we love. I think asking if there is a separate sick entrance is important.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard a few triplet parents complain that their pediatricians will not let them book 3 well baby visits together. I would ask if there will be any issues with booking their well baby visits together.

Ask about vaccinations.  We did vaccinate but slightly delayed the MMR and didn't let the babies get more than 2 shots a visit.  Our pedi is more than okay with this. 

Ask about lab work.  If they babies have blood taken or need to have urine tested for a UTI - can they do that there or does it need to go to a lab.  We really like our pedi but he's a small practice and doesn't do lab work in his office.  We have to go to the nearest hospital to have blood drawn or drop off samples.

• imagePianoPlayingSarah:

I've heard a few triplet parents complain that their pediatricians will not let them book 3 well baby visits together. I would ask if there will be any issues with booking their well baby visits together.

This. We ended up switching practices because the first practice we went with told me the doctors wanted separate visits to talk about each child separately. Um, no. I'd also recommend finding an office with some weekend hours. Inevitably, my girls will spike a fever or start barfing on a Friday night. Its nice to have a few hours Sat/Sun that I can take them in on a walk in basis and not have to go to an urgent care that doesn't have their history.

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My pedi has twins herself, and while I'd go to her otherwise, I think it helps with the little things. She always checks both their ears and breathing even if I only one is sick. She'll always write a double prescription for pink eye because she knows they'll both get it. And most of all, I feel less stressed when the boys run around the room trying to tear apart the place. She's a twin mom too. She knows.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PPs... make sure you can get appointments for both babies together.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"