Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Talk to me about Pediatricians...

So I'm starting my look for a pediatrician.  I have no idea what I'm looking for.  What are you guys looking for?  And I know lots of people go in to "interview" the ped.  Do you get charged an office visit for that?  Do you do it over the phone?  What do you ask? As you can tell I'm clueless.  I am somewhat new to this area and don't really have friends with kids.  I plan on asking around church and seeing if any of those doctors are in network with insurance. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!
BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Talk to me about Pediatricians...

• Options
    I just did this today. I called the one that was closest to my house and was in network. I met with the office manager who told me all about the practice. I didn't know what I was looking for either but I was very happy what I heard. They told me really great things- only the doctors in the practice answer calls after hours, they also take sick kids the same day you call, regardless of how busy they are, they're okay with altering the immunization schedule as long as it's done before the school requires it... and my favorite thing they said "It's your baby and we're here to help you". I then met the Dr.s for a moment and got a good feeling. So that's it for me. I figure if something changes down the road, I can always change.
  • Options
    I got an awesome rec from my OB (same office she takes her kids to) and I trust her completely, so I picked the pedi she recommended. I did schedule an appointment to meet with the pedi, but that was mainly because I wanted to meet her before I saw her at the hospital, KWIM? At this particular office, the doctors have specific days and times they meet with prospective parents. I was told I won't be charged for the visit. I would maybe have a couple questions prepared if you have specific things you want answers to, but other then that just go in a talk to the doctor. You'll be able to tell if they are right for you or not.
    Married 9/19/09
    BFP#1 05/19/10 M/C 6/4/10 d/x threatened m/c 6/6/10 m/c confirmed
    BFP#2 10/26/10 M/C 11/01/10
    BFP#3 11/28/10 C/P 11/29/10
    BFP#4 02/23/11 M/C 3/1/11
    BFP#5 08/13/11 EDD 04/27/12 Beta @11DPO 8.79 Beta @13DPO 36 Beta @17DPO 179 Beta @20DPO 679!! 6w3d hb 116 bpm! 8w3d hb 164 bpm! 10w4d hb 177-187 NT scan 12w2d hb 173-everything looks great! 14w4d-everything still looks great! A/S scheduled for 12/12!
    Our rainbow baby is here!! Emmalynn Anne born 4/27/12 via unplanned c-section
    BFP#6 Surprise! Here comes baby #2! Harper Elizabeth born 12/17/13 via c-section
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we picked DS's pefi I first asked to all my FB friends if anyone had any reccomendations for or against any local pedi's and why.  From there I narrowed it down to 2 office that were convenient to me, checked to see if my insurance was good there, then called to see if they were currently accepting newborns for patients.  One office was not at that time, one was.  From the office that was there were 2 pedis out of 5 that were taking newborns.  I scheduled an interview with the male (only because DS was a boy and I was thinking ahead to later years when he may not enjoy a female doctor, but I wasn't going to choose him if I didn't like him).  We met for about 30 minutes, no charge.  He talked about himself, education, experience, family, then let me ask questions.  I wanted someone comfortable with our family's beliefs in no meds unless necessary (as in no "just in case" antibiotics, flu shots or vaccinations that won't be required for school down the road), someone that would support complimentary/alternative medicine when available, someone as laid back as us, someone that woudn't push dairy or meats since we don't eat very much, and someone supportive of BF'ing even through tough times.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options

My health care provider does meet and greets for free with pediatricians.

At first, I thought this was a bit "over the top" to do interviews, but went ahead and scheduled one a few weeks ago.  I am so glad I did.  The woman was HORRIBLE.  I asked a question about an alternative vacc schedule (I was not saying I wanted one, I was seriously just asking how it worked) and she goes, "that question REALLY frustrates pediatricians" and then told me "people listen to Jenny McCarthy on her soap box over research".  I actually read a book by a doctor that suggested the alternative vacc schedule as an option...not Jenny McCarthy.  Ugh.

It was good to know that she made me uncomfortable so I can move on and pick someone else. 

• Options

I have a list I put together from a bit ago when some of the gals (now on PAL) posted questions- I can email them to you :)   if you want.

I decided to meet a couple to see if we meshed.  One office did this, and the other practice (with more Drs.) said no at first, but then said ok to 1 meet/greet.   Luckily another Dr. at the 2nd place called me back and said she'd answer my questions over the phone one night so I wouldn't get charged for a 2nd.   The one Dr. at the office a bit closer seemed ok, but I like the mannerisms of the other 2 better and they seemed to be ok to take the time to talk to me, where as this one seemed like she was in a hurry to get me in and out.  Also at that practice, she was the only full time Pedi.  This other office has like 8 or so, and are open later, run a Sat. clinic for a few hours, and was open on their ideas on antibiotics, breastfeeding, pacifiers, etc.    They also communicate not just by returning calls but via email and seemed ok knowing I'm a first time mom w/ probably alot of questions.   We'll go with one of them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"