May 2011 Moms

Moving to one nap?

Just wondering (for moms of 2, or anyone) if anyone is moving towards one nap?  DS has now taken a long nap in the morning a few times, and then refused to go down in the afternoon.  Not sure if its just a weird thing or not, or if this is him starting to tell me that its time to move that way? It seems early. Weissbluth says around 15 months average, so 9.5 seems crazypants.
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving to one nap?

• It's a little early.  Most kids won't transition to 1 nap until 12 months.  I'd keep trying for 2. He could also be wanting to practice new skills (if he's scooting on furniture, crawling learning to walk etc) and that is why he is resistant to his 2nd nap. Have you spaced out his wake times at all in an effort to try and see if he'll go down for you in the p.m.? What's his routine like right now?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLisa Frank:

It's a little early.  Most kids won't transition to 1 nap until 12 months.  I'd keep trying for 2. He could also be wanting to practice new skills (if he's scooting on furniture, crawling learning to walk etc) and that is why he is resistant to his 2nd nap. Have you spaced out his wake times at all in an effort to try and see if he'll go down for you in the p.m.? What's his routine like right now?

That's what I thought, I think in those instances he's just sleeping too long in the morning, and I should cut the nap.

Usually its:

wake 6:30-7

nap :9;30-10:45

nap: 1:45-3

bed: 7pm

It's only been a problem the couple times that he's slept until 11:40ish in the morning (2.5 hours) Then when I try to put him down at three he's just like, "yeah right mom". You're right that he's super busy now. But he definitely has more trouble going down if I wait too long for the afternoon nap. He resists way more if its after 2:30, even if he sleeps later in the morning.  

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I would say about 75% of the time since 6 months, our daughter only has taken one nap. Or one nap and a 10 minute cat nap in the car or something.

Her nap is usually at around 9:30-10 in the AM and she sleeps until 12:00/12:30. However, she also goes to bed most nights at 6pm!

It may change though because for the last two days she took an hour and a fifteen nap at 2:30 as well.

My daughter is my hero.
  • Yeah, I think 3 hours between morning wake and afternoon nap is good. You may even want to go earlier if you think he's tired earlier so he doesn't get overtired.

I'm a big believer in sticking with the eating times as you have them, so if he's sleeping past his time to eat, I'd wake him for sure.  

Example: Cece is also up about 6:30/7, down at 9.  She needs to eat again at 10:30/11 so I would wake her if she kept going. Hope that makes sense :)

• imageLisa Frank:

Yeah, I think 3 hours between morning wake and afternoon nap is good. You may even want to go earlier if you think he's tired earlier so he doesn't get overtired.

I'm a big believer in sticking with the eating times as you have them, so if he's sleeping past his time to eat, I'd wake him for sure.  

Example: Cece is also up about 6:30/7, down at 9.  She needs to eat again at 10:30/11 so I would wake her if she kept going. Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks Lisa. I think I just still struggle with the 'don't wake a sleeping baby' thing. But if I let him go too long, it seems to kill our day. I'll definitely wake him next time his morning nap goes really long.

Good to know its usually 12 months when you they move to one nap. I keep hearing that from friends, but the book said 15. Interested to see what B chooses. :) 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"