April 2012 Moms
Options

NBR: Just found out my dog has cancer.

He's older. 12. But he's had a rough life. He had cancer at 4, we did chemo then because he was young and otherwise completely healthy. Then he had a stroke at 9 or 10. And has since lived with no eyesight in one eye and a permanent head tilt. He was doing okay, up until a few weeks ago. He is eating like a champ, but he wasn't gaining weight and getting skinnier by the minute. I changed foods, started hand feeding him, etc. And still nothing. So I made an appointment. We got bloodwork yesterday for him and the doctor said there's a few markers that point to cancer. Without spending thousands on cat scans, brain scans, etc. we won't know what type of cancer. At this point, he is old. He is also suffering from dementia (which there's no cure for, meds that work 50% of the time, but nothing to cure it), he's slightly anemic, and his joints in his back and hind legs have very very bad arthritis. At this point, with talking to the vet, our goal is to keep him comfortable as long as I can. He wrote me a prescription for 2 weeks, and then we'll revisit his status. I thought I was ready. When I took him yesterday, I was totally prepared. Or so I thought. When the vet called with the news, I completely lost it on the phone. It was one thing when I just thought we could control his pain with meds, but whe he threw the "c" word into it... I just felt like he has to be suffering. I tested him for diabetes... I wasn't ready to hear he had cancer. Again .

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac

Re: NBR: Just found out my dog has cancer.

• Options
    Aww I am so sorry. Furbabies are family, and I can only imagine the sadness you are feeling. My thoughts go out to you and your dog, I hope he stays and comfortable as possible for as long as possible. Sad

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry :(. As a dog owner/lover, I can only imagine how hard this must be. ((((hugs))))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor pup, I am very sorry to hear this. I hope his final days are peaceful. Wilted Flower
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    I am so so sorry. My animals (as you can see from my siggy) are truly my life. I know that sounds lame but they've been there for me through it all (i.e. the death of my mom). They don't get all the attention they used to with my pregnancy but they are cuddled, loved, and given special attention everyday. They are my children. I know this cannot be easy for you and it's a terrible situation. I hope that your dog finds comfort with the medication and isn't suffering. He knows you love him and he loves you back, unconditionally. I hope that you can find some comfort and answers in the next few weeks. {{Hugs}}
  • Options

I'm so sorry. That just sucks, and is terribly heartbreaking. You know your dog, and you will know when it is time to end his suffering. As long as he is eating and appears happy, he is probably very happy and grateful to have such great owners.

My ILs cat is going through the same thing. They just found out she has cancer this week. When they decide that it is time to put her to sleep, they plan on giving her a huge feast the night before as one final meal. They are getting her salmon and tuna sushi pieces and shrimp. I like that because it is one final, nice thing they are doing for her. :(

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am so sorry. Losing a pet is so hard. (hugs)
  • Options
    I am so sorry. It sounds like he has lived a long, wonderful life with you, despite his illnesses in the past. ((hugs)) 
    imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    *really big hugs* I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Poor puppy.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. Just have faith that you'll know when the time is right. Sending loving thoughts his & your way.
  • Options
    I'm so, so sorry. It's awful when we have to make decisions like this for our furbabies. Just remember what a wonderful life he's had with you. Hoping his last days are as comfortable as possible and hugs to you both.
  • Options
    I am so sorry!  My furbaby will be 13 in June and she has a host of health issues too, it is so hard to watch them struggle.   I will be thinking of you.
  • Options
    I am so, so sorry. I just had to put my 16 year old kitty to sleep last week. Even though you know it's the best thing to end their suffering, it's still so terribly hard. I hope you get to make many more great memories with him in the coming days while he remains as comfortable as possible. I'm so sorry, hun. {{hugs}}
  • Options
    I am so sorry :( Our dog (about 7 yrs old - she was rescued so we don't really know her exact age) had a rare bone cancer and we had to put her down this summer. We found out in April but she had it for a while. She was doing very poorly the week of our wedding - so the timing was awful. We were devastated - we'd only had her for a few years but miss her terribly. It's really like losing a loved family member. I feel for you! Hang in there.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    (((HUGS))) I'm sorry hun =0(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"