Austin Babies
Options

s/o Public Health Issues & Parental Choice

Are breast feeding and vaccinating in the same ball park when it comes to parental choice and its affects on public health.

Discuss. And remember anything goes on Leap Day. Real life is for March! :)

Re: s/o Public Health Issues & Parental Choice

• Options

No. Vaccines have practically eliminated many diseases in this country. I don't believe there is good evidence to say that BFing would do the same.

And the choice not to BF doesn't have the same impact on others, IMO. For example, if child A doesn't get, say, a whooping cough vaccine, catches whooping cough, and gives it to a baby who is too young to be vaccinated, I think you can say, "if child A had been vaccinated the baby wouldn't have caught whooping cough." But, if a child is FF, catches a cold, and gives it to a baby, I really don't think you can say, "If the child had been BF, the baby wouldn't have caught the cold."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Interesting question. My first reaction was that they were different because breastfeeding only affects the child / mother, whereas vaccinations (or lack thereof) can affect many more people. I guess I need a clarification on "public health." Afterall, breastfeeding has been shown to lower the risk of childhood obesity, which could be considered a public health issue. In fact, I would say childhood obesity is perhaps more of an issue right now than the infectious diseases that vaccines prevent against. 

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no judgement for the feeding choices people make for their newborns. DD was both FF and BF'd.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"