June 2011 Moms
Options

EBFers with LO's with teeth

Rylee got her first tooth a month ago and the second shortly after. Initially we had some biting but when she would bite I would just say "no" firmly, set her away from me and close up shop. I only had to do that maybe 3 times before she got the message and we haven't had any biting since.

Now though, my nipples are very sore. They feel like they didin the beginning. I'm not sure if it's just the friction of her teeth (pain is on underside of nip and she only has bottom teeth) or what or if the teeth are affecting her latch.  Anyone else having an issue?

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EBFers with LO's with teeth

• Options

Huh, I was just thinking this morning that it has kind of been painful during breastfeeding lately.  I didn't even think about the teeth affecting it, but I bet you are right!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Maybe she is getting some more teeth?  My LO's latch was messed up for a few days while teething and it made me sore but it resolved itself.

My LC also said some mamas can be sensitive to baby's saliva once they start solids or when they eat certain foods. If you think it could be that you could wash the girls off after nursing.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO's latch was terrible after she got her first two teeth in.  She completely tore me apart.  I had to basically "reteach" her how to latch appropriately; open wide, sandwich, the whole nine yards.

She just got her third and coming soon fourth teeth and so far we haven't had any problems.  I definitely do think that they compensate for the foreign objects in their mouth though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

She should be putting her tongue out over the bottom teeth if she's latching properly. The LC at the breastfeeding support group I go to recommended to make sure LO is opening their mouth VERY wide before latching on. If they do not, unlatch and try again.

ETA: I found an article that has a lot of tips for this issue:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html#scraping 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    imageskidaisy:

Huh, I was just thinking this morning that it has kind of been painful during breastfeeding lately.  I didn't even think about the teeth affecting it, but I bet you are right!

exactly this!  I feel stupid for not making the link!

• Options
    imagemarch2008:

She should be putting her tongue out over the bottom teeth if she's latching properly.

This!  the bottom teeth shouldn't be causing you trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"