Austin Babies
Options

New AAP stance on breastfeeding

2»

Re: New AAP stance on breastfeeding

• Options
    imageSinafey:

I'm thrilled with the change and the way that it's worded.  Neither my OB or DD's pedi ever bothered to mention the benefits of breastfeeding to me.  I can easily see how new parents that haven't done their research could think formula is just as good, when that's obviously not the case.  Hopefully this will prompt more care providers to inform their patients about the importance of the bf/ff decision.

Like PP's said, I hope it also prompts more workplaces to take a working mother's need to pump seriously.  So many aren't provided with a safe and comfortable environment.

This kind of comment does burn me a bit. It's paternalistic ("Oh poor parents who just don't know any better. Don't worry, I, the educated, well informed, person who HAS done her research will tell you that you are wrong. It's for your baby's health. And you do want to do what's best for your baby's health, don't you!?! ") It smacks of condescension.

I know this was not even remotely your intent, but this is a very common message from the breast feeding community. 

• Options
    imageNessia:
    imagerssnlvr:
    imagebluestreet:

I just wish that the mother was as focal to the topic as the child. 

Excellent point, and I totally agree. I think this is in part behind why a lot of groups are moving away from "Breast is best" and toward "Breast is normal" as a slogan. "Best" is a qualitative judgment (based on scientific fact about nutritional benefits, etc.) and is subject to a number of other factors, like a mother's health, both physical and emotional. The "normal" message, I think, will do the same to get real-life people to stop staring at me in horror when I nurse my 9-month-old (or my 14-mo-old with DD) without stepping into the muddy waters of "best."

Oh, I agree with this 100%.

I love "Breast is Normal."  I've never heard that before. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:
    imageSinafey:

I'm thrilled with the change and the way that it's worded.  Neither my OB or DD's pedi ever bothered to mention the benefits of breastfeeding to me.  I can easily see how new parents that haven't done their research could think formula is just as good, when that's obviously not the case.  Hopefully this will prompt more care providers to inform their patients about the importance of the bf/ff decision.

Like PP's said, I hope it also prompts more workplaces to take a working mother's need to pump seriously.  So many aren't provided with a safe and comfortable environment.

This kind of comment does burn me a bit. It's paternalistic ("Oh poor parents who just don't know any better. Don't worry, I, the educated, well informed, person who HAS done her research will tell you that you are wrong. It's for your baby's health. And you do want to do what's best for your baby's health, don't you!?! ") It smacks of condescension.

I know this was not even remotely your intent, but this is a very common message from the breast feeding community. 

You always say things the way I mean too. Ditto AJL.
  • Options
    imageNessia:
    imageMrsAJL:
    imageSinafey:

You always say things the way I mean too. Ditto AJL.

Word.

What if someone has done her research and still thinks that FF is just as good?  My pedi thinks BF'ing is great and always praised me for doing it, but she also said that, with her twins, one got formula and one got BM, and they are equally wonderful, so not to sweat it if I couldn't or didn't want to.  So, I don't think it's all that odd for someone to think that FF is just as good as BM.  And, in the case of a mother who has decided that she doesn't want to BF, it's better for the whole family if she doesn't suffer from guilt for her decision.

• Options
    imageSinafey:

I can easily see how new parents that haven't done their research could think formula is just as good, when that's obviously not the case. 

Oh, FFS.  That horse I was talking about?  You're on it.  Way up on it.

I sure hope you SAH with your kids, because *I* know working moms just aren't as good.  I hope you RF your kid until she's 4, because *I* know forward facing any sooner is tragic.  You better have taken the same prenatal vitamin I did and do, because *I* know that's the only one that's good!  Poor, uninformed you for making a different choice!  Confused 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:
    imageSinafey:

Doctors make health recommendations all the time, it's their job. The vast majority of the scientific community is in agreement that in the absence of an external factor, breastfeeding is better than formula feeding for the health of mom and baby.  It's perfectly sensible for a doctor to inform their patient of the differences and leave it at that.

I'm not saying they should attempt to make FF'ing mothers feel guilty, or that there aren't myriad valid reasons why someone would choose to formula feed.  

• Options
    imageSinafey:
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imageMrsAJL:
    imagerssnlvr:

imageMrsAJL:
    If we want to spin off that post, that might be interesting.

Oooh, let's do it! A little Leap Day fun!

What I got out of the article is that there continues to be a growing body of scientific support that breastfeeding is a nutritionally healthier way to feed your baby. Choose to do it, don't choose to do it, whatever, but just say, "I don't want to" rather than trying to argue that the nutritional benefits aren't all that some claim them to be.

When it comes down to it, all choices in parenting are "my child, my choice"--breastfeeding, bumpers, belly sleeping, vaccines, circumcisions, blah blah blah. But there are clear reasons why recommendations are made one way or another, and there will always be those who buck the recommendations for one reason or another.

I agree, but it doesn't always feel safe to say that. I think a lot of women who FF because they don't want to BF feel like they need to justify their decision.

Sadly, one of the few places I've ever felt like what I've decided to do for my children wasn't good enough as been in the realm of social media -- The Bump, Facebook, parenting message boards. I've never felt criticized by anyone in real life for my choices. 

evidently you've never gotten stares, negative comments, eye rolls or been told not to/you can't bf in public.  

Exactly this.  BF'ing in public isn't widely accepted, and hopefully this change in stance will help to shift society's views.  People may feel judged for FF'ing in social media, but the opposite is true in real life.

This is what I was thinking as I read the article.  I really think society needs to be accepting of both choices and I like the article because it helps support a mother's choice to breastfeed.  

However, the last sentence about it not being beneficial after a year annoyed me because I have gotten a ton of flack for continuing to nurse DD past one year - from several different medical professionals as well as random people (and family members). 

I also agree with the pp's point about the mental health of the mother needing to be taken into account! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagemlf625:
    imageSinafey:

I can easily see how new parents that haven't done their research could think formula is just as good, when that's obviously not the case. 

I sure hope you SAH with your kids, because *I* know working moms just aren't as good.  I hope you RF your kid until she's 4, because *I* know forward facing any sooner is tragic.  You better have taken the same prenatal vitamin I did and do, because *I* know that's the only one that's good!  Poor, uninformed you for making a different choice!  Confused 

Ugh, here we go again. You love to get into this battle.  I'm not on a high horse, I formula fed my daughter.  I make plenty of bad decisions, but I do my best.  

Most doctors agree that, in the absence of any other contributing factor, breastmilk is better for the baby than formula.  I want them to state that fact and leave it at that.  

• Options
    imagemlf625:
    imageSinafey:

It really IS okay for some people to think breastfeeding is better than formula feeding.  It really is. This subject is really not worth getting so worked up about because everyone is going to think that the choices they make for their kids the right one.  And they are.  

• Options

i like the "breast is normal" message too. when i look at how other countries and cultures raise children and breastfeeding is overwhelmingly the norm for feeding babies, i wonder what happened here in the states? i'm looking at a chart on kellymom that shows only 57% of US moms start breastfeeding. that's a pretty small number for something that's normal.

i'm going to throw out a half-thought-out analogy here.

breastmilk is organic milk (i think we can all agree on that) and formula is non-organic borden's. we know that organic is healthier because it's straight from the source, has all the natural good stuff built in and hasn't been engineered in any way, but that's not to say that non-organic borden's milk is bad. if you can handle the cost (emotional and physical cost) of organic, why not? if getting organic isn't worth the cost, then borden's is still good for you. no one is or should be judging you at the checkout when you buy either organic or regular. but maybe the AAP is trying to get more organic milk on the shelves so that it's the normal product rather than a special, more expensive one.

i'm too wiped to even go back and edit so hopefully this makes sense and gets my point across. :) 

• Options
    imageSinafey:
    [

Ugh, here we go again. You love to get into this battle.  I'm not on a high horse, I formula fed my daughter.  I make plenty of bad decisions, but I do my best.  

Most doctors agree that, in the absence of any other contributing factor, breastmilk is better for the baby than formula.  I want them to state that fact and leave it at that.  

Your statement implies that by choosing to formula feed you have made a bad decision. 

Here's the thing. It's not what you're saying. It's the implication that your words have. For mlf and other mothers who chose to FF over BF, this kind of attitude is condescending. It's paternalistic.

• Options
    imageel_twirpo:

i like the "breast is normal" message too. when i look at how other countries and cultures raise children and breastfeeding is overwhelmingly the norm for feeding babies, i wonder what happened here in the states? i'm looking at a chart on kellymom that shows only 57% of US moms start breastfeeding. that's a pretty small number for something that's normal.

i'm going to throw out a half-thought-out analogy here.

breastmilk is organic milk (i think we can all agree on that) and formula is non-organic borden's. we know that organic is healthier because it's straight from the source, has all the natural good stuff built in and hasn't been engineered in any way, but that's not to say that non-organic borden's milk is bad. if you can handle the cost (emotional and physical cost) of organic, why not? if getting organic isn't worth the cost, then borden's is still good for you. no one is or should be judging you at the checkout when you buy either organic or regular. but maybe the AAP is trying to get more organic milk on the shelves so that it's the normal product rather than a special, more expensive one.

i'm too wiped to even go back and edit so hopefully this makes sense and gets my point across. :) 

I dig this. KatieAggie proposed a similar analogy last time this came up. What's important is recognizing there is a cost, and that different people will have different cost-benefit analyses. Also, we need to continue to push for excellence in formula-production. Remember in the 60s it was called liberation in a can. Formula is a radical innovation.
  • Options
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imagemlf625:
    imageSinafey:

It really IS okay for some people to think breastfeeding is better than formula feeding.  It really is. This subject is really not worth getting so worked up about because everyone is going to think that the choices they make for their kids the right one.  And they are.  

Right, duh.  And it also really IS okay to state your preference for one type of thing over another type of thing without making it seem like the other type of thing is only for people who don't know better or are somehow mistaken.  Which is a point that seems to be lost on the poster in question, who posts similarly inflammatory comments each and every time this argument arises on the board.  Which gets old. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagebatsteph:

Now, I don't think that should be taken as license for BFing mommies to be assy toward FFing mommies, or vice versa.  

I hope this (a) gives mommies who choose to BF more leverage with their employers and society at large, (b) doesn't cause FFing mommies to take more cr@p than they already do,

I think it's interesting that both sides (BF and FF) feel that they've been judged for their decisions. Sleep training, vaccinations, newborn eating,  finger foods, tv -  It seems there's nothing that trumps motherhood when it comes to being judged.

If all this does is raise public awareness that BFing is an acceptable practice, then fantastic. There were many times where my choice to BF made me feel embarrassed, whether it be when I was asked why I was taking so long in a dressing room, or started at in public while doing it, or reprimanded for going to meetings late (when they were scheduled during my known pumping times), or when I had to demand a better place to pump than the AV closet that had no ventilation, or when I was walked in on 7 different times while pumping (regardless of the sign and locked door).  

• Options

imagebluestreet:
    I dig this. KatieAggie proposed a similar analogy last time this came up. What's important is recognizing there is a cost, and that different people will have different cost-benefit analyses. Also, we need to continue to push for excellence in formula-production. Remember in the 60s it was called liberation in a can. Formula is a radical innovation.

::::puts on flame retardant suit::::

And it fuccking is!!  I breastfed Molly for 6 months. I also formula fed her. I resented feeling like I had to be tied to my baby. I couldn't be within 2 or 3 hours of her because I was her only food source. Formula gave me freedom! 

I resent the hell out of the expectation that mothers are supposed to sacrifice their wants and needs for that of their children.  Well guess what?  Not this mama.  I come first. Always. Every time. If I can't take care of my needs, I have nothing left to give my children.  I balance that with what they need. My children do not go without care, love, food, shelter, encouragement...a mother.

But breastfeeding was such an imposition to me. How dare this little creature demand to be fed from my breasts 24/7?!  Well, she took a bottle just fine and I left her in the loving arms of my husband who fed her with all the tenderness of a nursing mother. She is bonded to me like she's covered in Gorilla Glue and she's healthy and well. 

But damn! If not for formula, I think my mental state would have reached a crisis point.  I know I'm not the only one out there in Internets World who feels this way, but I might be one of the few willing to say it. 

• Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

And it fuccking is!!  I breastfed Molly for 6 months. I also formula fed her. I resented feeling like I had to be tied to my baby. I couldn't be within 2 or 3 hours of her because I was her only food source. Formula gave me freedom! 

I resent the hell out of the expectation that mothers are supposed to sacrifice their wants and needs for that of their children.  Well guess what?  Not this mama.  I come first. Always. Every time. If I can't take care of my needs, I have nothing left to give my children.  I balance that with what they need. My children do not go without care, love, food, shelter, encouragement...a mother.

But breastfeeding was such an imposition to me. How dare this little creature demand to be fed from my breasts 24/7?!  Well, she took a bottle just fine and I left her in the loving arms of my husband who fed her with all the tenderness of a nursing mother. She is bonded to me like she's covered in Gorilla Glue and she's healthy and well. 

But damn! If not for formula, I think my mental state would have reached a crisis point.  I know I'm not the only one out there in Internets World who feels this way, but I might be one of the few willing to say it. 

Boy, I like you.

Also, if I hadn't borrowed my sister's pump, I definitely would have taken my husband's sledge hammer and gone "Office Space" on that GDeffing thing.  THAT gave me my anger issues.  I HATED that effing thing.  Spencer had TT and could not/would not nurse, so I *had* to pump.  But always supplementing w/ formula.  It made me a maniac.  And I know it was not PPD.  It was that damn pump!

• Options
    imagemlf625:
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imagemlf625:
    imageSinafey:

Right, duh.  And it also really IS okay to state your preference for one type of thing over another type of thing without making it seem like the other type of thing is only for people who don't know better or are somehow mistaken.  Which is a point that seems to be lost on the poster in question, who posts similarly inflammatory comments each and every time this argument arises on the board.  Which gets old. 

I think I've talked about ff vs bf once before.  That's hardly every.single.time.

You're f'ing right, if the one and only reason that you choose to formula feed is because you think it's just as good as breastmilk in every possible way, I do think you either don't know better or are mistaken.

My entire point, stated for I think the 4th time now, is that I'd like -somebody- in the medical community to tell a new mom at some point that if breastfeeding works out for them it's going to do both mom and nursling some good.  

I don't understand why you continue to react like I'm attacking you.  You don't seem ignorant, so I'm guessing that you thought through your decision and chose to do what would work best for your family.  I just want people to have some amount of information at their disposal when they make that decision.

• Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

You're not alone.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

::catcalls cheers and whistles::

I've tried so many times to say exactly that but it always comes out like I'm insulting the women who do suffer though breastfeeding.  Well said.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks joyco, kat, and ali.  I know I'm not the only one to experience this but it's such a taboo to even mention that you just hate breast feeding because it feels like a burden.
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:
    Thanks joyco, kat, and ali.  I know I'm not the only one to experience this but it's such a taboo to even mention that you just hate breast feeding because it feels like a burden.
    And again, ditto AJL.
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

You're not alone in thought or willing to say it!

• Options
    imageA&Jmom:
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

You're not alone in thought or willing to say it!

Yes

• Options
    imageMrsAJL:

imagebluestreet:

I totally agree, and was SO effing frustrated when DS wouldn't take a bottle.  That's my only hangup with bfing, and next time (hopefully) baby #2 is getting a bottle every.damn.day so help me GOD because I WANT TO GO ON A DATE WITH MY HUSBAND WITHOUT WORRYING IF I'M GOING TO GET BACK ON TIME.  ;)

• Options

I suffered through nursing - mentally, emotionally and physically.  But, I did it because I believe in the scientific data that has found it to be best - yes, I said best, because that's what science has found.  For me, the "cost" was worth the outcome.  My DH was allergic to everything as a child and I wanted to do everything *I* could do to avoid that and we were fortunate in that regard.  My kids are never sick, to the point that I've worried (and been afraid to post about it because everyone around here is always suffering through sickness) that they are not building any antibodies because they never have a chance to fight anything off (honestly, I don't even know if that's how it works, obviously).  I have seen enough proof in my own children to continue trying to BF exclusively with #3.  I hope we will be successful, but only time will tell.

All that being said, it is HARD.  And, even though I'm very much pro-BF (and really, pro-whatever parents want to do for their own family) there is a billboard on 183 that really pisses me off right now.  Something like "Keep working, keep breastfeeding."  I feel like a man wrote it because only someone that didn't know how HARD all of that really was, would have put it on a billboard.  It's like they are telling us to keep up all of our outside duties, keep all of our professional duties and oh yeah, be chained to a baby or pump 24/7.  I did all of that, but it still pissed me off seeing a billboard "instructing" me to do that.  I feel like saying "eff you" every time I pass that monstrosity.  I know that probably not the intent of the campaign, but that's how I take it.

• Options

imageAustinAggie01:
    there is a billboard on 183 that really pisses me off right now.  Something like "Keep working, keep breastfeeding."  I feel like a man wrote it because only someone that didn't know how HARD all of that really was, would have put it on a billboard.  It's like they are telling us to keep up all of our outside duties, keep all of our professional duties and oh yeah, be chained to a baby or pump 24/7.  I did all of that, but it still pissed me off seeing a billboard "instructing" me to do that.  I feel like saying "eff you" every time I pass that monstrosity.  I know that probably not the intent of the campaign, but that's how I take it.

I've seen that billboard and thought to come here and post about, but figured it would result in yet another shiitstorm like it always does!

• Options
    imagebrideonjuly8:

imageAustinAggie01:
    there is a billboard on 183 that really pisses me off right now.  Something like "Keep working, keep breastfeeding."  I feel like a man wrote it because only someone that didn't know how HARD all of that really was, would have put it on a billboard.  It's like they are telling us to keep up all of our outside duties, keep all of our professional duties and oh yeah, be chained to a baby or pump 24/7.  I did all of that, but it still pissed me off seeing a billboard "instructing" me to do that.  I feel like saying "eff you" every time I pass that monstrosity.  I know that probably not the intent of the campaign, but that's how I take it.

I've seen that billboard and thought to come here and post about, but figured it would result in yet another shiitstorm like it always does!

who sponsored that billboard?  

• Options

I don't even know.  It's probably supposed to be supportive like "You can do it all. You CAN be Wonderwoman!"  But, I read, "Hey women, you girls go ahead and do it all, while men just work and sit on their asses and don't aid in raising children or household duties."

I'm highly hormonal right now.  I should also add that I am not upset with my DH at all and he is a very involved Dad.  So, in that regard, I don't know why I read all of this into the billboard.  I plead temporary insanity due to pg hormones.

• Options
    imageAustinAggie01:

I suffered through nursing - mentally, emotionally and physically.  But, I did it because I believe in the scientific data that has found it to be best - yes, I said best, because that's what science has found.  For me, the "cost" was worth the outcome.  My DH was allergic to everything as a child and I wanted to do everything *I* could do to avoid that and we were fortunate in that regard.  My kids are never sick, to the point that I've worried (and been afraid to post about it because everyone around here is always suffering through sickness) that they are not building any antibodies because they never have a chance to fight anything off (honestly, I don't even know if that's how it works, obviously).  I have seen enough proof in my own children to continue trying to BF exclusively with #3.  I hope we will be successful, but only time will tell.

All that being said, it is HARD.  And, even though I'm very much pro-BF (and really, pro-whatever parents want to do for their own family) there is a billboard on 183 that really pisses me off right now.  Something like "Keep working, keep breastfeeding."  I feel like a man wrote it because only someone that didn't know how HARD all of that really was, would have put it on a billboard.  It's like they are telling us to keep up all of our outside duties, keep all of our professional duties and oh yeah, be chained to a baby or pump 24/7.  I did all of that, but it still pissed me off seeing a billboard "instructing" me to do that.  I feel like saying "eff you" every time I pass that monstrosity.  I know that probably not the intent of the campaign, but that's how I take it.

I love this, especially the bolded.  Breastfeeding is hands down THE HARDEST thing I have ever done in my life.  Saying it is hard is an understatement.  There were many times in those first 8 weeks that DH would come home for lunch and DS and I would both be crying while I was trying to BF him.  And the pump, my god the pump.  I strap that thing on 3 times a day and every single time I say to myself, "this is certainly not fun".  But, I was able to emotionally get through the worst part in the beginning and now it is absolutely one of my favorite things about being a mother.  The cost was worth it for me.

I imagine that everyone who FF would say the same, the cost is worth it to them.  The ladies who hated BFing are not any less of a mother than those who love it.  I hate spending money on anything that I can provide for free (monetarily), so it was worth it to me to push through until it BFing got better.  The act of BFing lifts me up emotionally.  If it tore me down, I would not have continued.  Everyone agrees that Mom needs to take care of herself before she can take care of anyone else.  But Mommy Guilt is awful and if there is even one person who insinuates that you are not doing the absolute 100% best thing for your child, then you (collectively) have to get defensive.  We all do, it's our natural Mama Bear instincts. Everyone has to do what is best for their family in each situation. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"