October 2012 Moms
Options

When to swallow my pride and call the doctor?

i donkt want to be one of those patients who calls in about every little thing they think or feel during their pregnancy, but ikm starting to worry about my health and how much im eating and how its going to effect the baby.  i would love some perspective andor advice, especially from the veteran moms who had bad morning sickness.  two days ago the ms kept me over the toilet all day.  it was my day off, so it worked, but still not pleasant.  the only things i managed to eat were five crackers and two pieces of toast, both of which came promptly back up.  i also made sure to drink lots of water, but a lot of that came up too.  yesterday i felt a little better and managed to keep everything down, but food just sounded gross and i wasnt able to eat much, a grilled cheese, some tomato soup, a sleeve of saltines all through work, four pretzel sticks, and a banana malt, not to mention plenty of water.  i still felt like crap all day.  today ive been drinking water and have eaten two half peanut butter sandwiches, a couple hours apart to keep the nausea at bay.  am i getting enough, or do i need to call the doc?  im miserable and the idea of food makes me gag, but i dont want to hurt my baby.  im still taking my prenatals, except for the day of endless puking, and keeping them down.

Re: When to swallow my pride and call the doctor?

• Options
    To me it sounds severe enough to call your doctor. They may give you some meds to help with the nausea. You also want to make sure you're not dehydrated. Do you think Gatorade would stay down? You are probably going to be just fine, but it never hurts to call and see what they have to say. Don't worry about annoying them, that's what they are there for. :) GL!
    TTC #1 since 4/2011. Cycle 1 = BFN. Cycle 2 = BFN. Cycle 3 = BFP 6/28. CP 7/2. Cycle 4 = TTA. Cycle 5 = BFN. Started progesterone. Cycle 6 = Disaster. Cycle 7 = Progesterone. BFN Cycle 8 = BFN. Cycle 9 = BFN. Cycle 10 = BFP 1/1/12. C/P 1/8/12. Cycle 11 = BFP 2/3. Stick! Due 10/15/12. Baby girl arrived via c-section on 10/10/12 after 20 hours of labor. Welcome my love!
  • Options
    I would call the doctor and see if they can get you on some meds to help.  Try to get enough fluids in you - keep hydrated - I think that's most important.  And just an FYI - the baby will take what it needs even if you don't eat enough a few days here or there. 
    Aaden18mos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Addie NewbornBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My m/s was really bad for about 2 weeks in 1st tri in my last pregnancy. I literally could only eat fruit, and it wasn't much fruit. I probably got in 300 calories a day if I was lucky.

Keep taking your prenatal and get down what you can get down.

I told my doc about it, but he wasn't overly concerned and didn't perscribe any medication for it. I lost about 12lbs in two weeks.

I'd say its up to you whether you want to try and get medication for it or not. They baby will take what it needs during this time (make sure you are getting in your prenatal) regardless of how little you eat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Based on my experience it sounds okay but if it gets worse they should try to help you out.  With my first I threw up constantly and had a hard time keeping things down so my husband wanted me to call. When I did, they told me that the baby gets what it needs so not to worry.  Of course there's a limit.  If your concerned, call.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #5 due 12.31.15

• Options

imageAadensMommy2010:
    I would call the doctor and see if they can get you on some meds to help.  Try to get enough fluids in you - keep hydrated - I think that's most important.  And just an FYI - the baby will take what it needs even if you don't eat enough a few days here or there

This. A friend's doctor told her some random story about women in WW2 concentration camps who were skin and bones still had reasonably healthy 6 and 7 pound babies. Not very politically correct but it got the point across.

Still if you're struggling that much it's worth asking your doctor about meds for your own sanity.  

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options

I would probably call the doctor to ask for some medication like PP said.  However, depending on your doc, he may give you the same info mine gave me.  You need to be concerned about M/S if you aren't keeping WATER down.  As long as you are getting fluids, your baby will be ok.  They will get the nutrients from what you already have stored up. 

With that said, there is no reason to be that miserable.  Ask for some Zofran.  It will change your life! :) And good luck dear!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I know every doctor is different, but I had the same issues last thrusday, I called my ob after 12 hours of not keeping anything down including water. They said to go to the ER for dehydration, the nurse said they send everyone no matter how far along they there to the ER after 12 hours. Mine was so bad I had to stay over night  hooked up to a IV. Plus they gave me a script for zofran and that has helped a great deal with my MS.

Good luck and feel better!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDC2London:
    I would call.  I think they will be more concerned about dehydration than caloric intake, but they can still give you some Zofran to help.  This is one of those times that it's a good idea to call.

This but I just asked my doc today when to call and he said 24 hours with absolutely nothing staying down to call. I am not a pill taker and only take meds if I absolutely need too. 

• Options

I had the flu yesterday and had Nothing in my system, straight stomach bile was comming out, and then I had nothing.

I called the nurse line- She said it's fine for a few days if I don't feel like eating- I felt bad not giving the baby nutricion. She said to keep drinking and as long as you are peeing every 6 hours or less, you are not dehydrated, but that is the most important thing.

?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot
  • Options
    thanks for all the advice ladies.  ive been able to keep things down the last couple of days, just not much, so im going to keep doing what im doing and hope my appetite picks up soon.  also, thanks for the suggestion of zofran, i actually got a script for it two weeks ago and these symptoms are what im experiencing while taking it.  when i started taking it, i only took it once a day in the morning.  but the last few days i have been counting down the hours until i can take another one.  i see my doc again in two weeks.  if things dont improve i will call him before.  if things seem to get better i will just tell him what happened at my next appointment.  thanks again, ladies.  i appreciate your help.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation- having a hard time keeping anything down.  I got a scrip for Phenargan yesterday, but it isn't really working, next step is Zofran.  However, my doc said that food isn't super important at this moment, liquids are- so if you're only able to drink but keep it down, you'll be OK.  I was told if I can't keep anything, liquid included, down for 48 hours that he'll have me admitted to the hospital and hooked up to an IV.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"