Parenting after a Loss

Dry hands

I wash my hands about a hundred times a day and they look like they've aged 20 years. They are dry, cracked, rough, and wrinkled.

I don't always have time to put on lotion, and even when I do, it doesn't seem to help. I'm also hesitant as to what lotion is safe.

Do you think it would be absurd to put lanolin on them? If it works on cracked nipples, why not hands right?

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d

Re: Dry hands

• I've been using the lotion I put on Aidan. I use Burt's Bees and it smells amazingly good! It's just a matter of finding the time to remember to lotion up...but yup I have the same issue!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1-02/21/11 Missed M/C Twins-03/25/11 EDD-11/04/11
    BFP#2-10dpo- 05/27/11 EDD 02/03/12
    Our miracle Aidan James born 01/25/12!!
  • I was JUST complaining about this yesterday. I have always found that the Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream to be the best. My hands already feel better today.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with you.  I now have old lady hands to match my gray hair. 

I put a pump of some manner of unscented Aveeno baby lotion that we got at G's shower in the bathroom near his room where I wash my hands, and I'm trying to get into the habit of lotioning up everytime I wash.  At night before bed, DH and I both use a Kiehl's hand lotion which is very nice but not something I'd use more as it has fragrance and I'd rather not get that on DS.

The downside to lanolin that I can think of is the effect it has on fabrics (discoloration) and if it gets on your clothes or linens maybe there'd be marks?

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I've used both lanolin and aquafor for really dry skin. Aquafor doesn't stain as badly and we use it for diaper rashes so its sitting on the changing table and I always remember to put it on when I change DD's diaper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The other posters had some great suggestions.  I also like to put vasoline/petroleum jelly on the back of my hands before bedtime.  It really soothes the ache from dry skin.
    Oh, Baby Bean! We will always miss you! With us for 6w3d -- June 9, 2008.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It will probably work well but it's so greasy!I actually put bipple cream (not lanolin) on LO's chapoed hands since they're raw from her sucking on them. I figured it was safe for her to eat. My hands are awful too, I'm always washing them after diaper changes, etc. and then I never have time to put on lotion. When I do remover I put my face lotion on them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"