Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Positive in the morning, negative in the afternoon (OPK question)

Good morning, ladies! I'm a new poster, but have been lurking for several months. I don't recall reading a post that has answered this question, so I'm venturing out of the shadows. I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times before.

I am using the Inverness (sp?) OPK test strips from Rite Aid. For the past three mornings (using FMU) I have gotten obvious positives; however, when I test later on in the day they are most definitely negative (I am limiting my water / soda intake before testing). I was under the impression that positive OPKs are more likely in the afternoon, so am confused why my positive are fading in and out.

Anyone have any experience with, or suggestions about, this? Big Smile

Re: Positive in the morning, negative in the afternoon (OPK question)

• Options

Hello! You might be catching a slow surge on one day that lasts for 3 days.

I usually test in am and eve. GL!!!! FX!!!!

Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• Options

This is interesting..... So, the concentrations of LH in your urine are going to be higher in the a.m., which is why people say not to use FMU with OPK's since you are looking to detect a surge. Some people use FMU until it gets dark and then start using the second morning urine...again, so they don't get a positive that's due to high morning concentrations and not a surge.

That said, 3 days in a row.. some people surge for 3 days but you wouldn't see it going +/-/+/-/+/-...... Maybe you're getting really close? Or if it doesn't happen again, I would take the last one in the series and count it +?

I'm curious where this thread will go.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you read the directions?  Some brands don't recommend FMU, but I always thought that this is because LH is not processed by the body as quickly in the morning which coulc cause a negative during an LH surge.  Also while you are limiting fluid intake, are you holding your pee for a few hours?

That being said I do test in the morning and afternoon and have never had problems getting a positive with FMU.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    imageTwinkie0612:

Have you read the directions?  Some brands don't recommend FMU, but I always thought that this is because LH is not processed by the body as quickly in the morning which coulc cause a negative during an LH surge.  Also while you are limiting fluid intake, are you holding your pee for a few hours?

That being said I do test in the morning and afternoon and have never had problems getting a positive with FMU.

This brand recommends FMU, but also says any urine is acceptable.

• Options
    imageFUTUREMRSBENARD:

This is interesting..... So, the concentrations of LH in your urine are going to be higher in the a.m., which is why people say not to use FMU with OPK's since you are looking to detect a surge. Some people use FMU until it gets dark and then start using the second morning urine...again, so they don't get a positive that's due to high morning concentrations and not a surge.

That said, 3 days in a row.. some people surge for 3 days but you wouldn't see it going +/-/+/-/+/-...... Maybe you're getting really close? Or if it doesn't happen again, I would take the last one in the series and count it +?

Actually, that is incorrect. Concentrations are typically lower in the am because your body doesn't surge until later. That is why people suggest not testing until later in the day because you may get false negatives. I know you said you limit liquids, but I found no matter how much I do, I can't get an accurate reading later in the day because it's always diluted. Sometimes OPK's are tricky to read. Is it possible that they are really close readings and not true positives each and every day? Or perhaps, you just keep on gearing up to O and haven't officially. I'd wait until you get three higher temps (if you chart) to know for sure. 

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Options
    imagetortuga47:
    imageFUTUREMRSBENARD:

Actually, that is incorrect. Concentrations are typically lower in the am because your body doesn't surge until later. That is why people suggest not testing until later in the day because you may get false negatives. I know you said you limit liquids, but I found no matter how much I do, I can't get an accurate reading later in the day because it's always diluted. Sometimes OPK's are tricky to read. Is it possible that they are really close readings and not true positives each and every day? Or perhaps, you just keep on gearing up to O and haven't officially. I'd wait until you get three higher temps (if you chart) to know for sure. 

It's certainly possible. Dammit, now I wish I would have kept them to compare. LOL! I guess I will just have to wait and see what my temps do... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"