Late Term and Child Loss

Therapy question

How did you know whether to see a grief counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, licensed social worker, etc.?  I took the day off from work because somehow I thought I could research someone to go to and make an appointment to see them today but this task has been overwhelming. My ob gave me the number of a psychiatrist but my friend told me they are very clinical and don't always have the best bedside manner so now I don't know who to call. Any advice? Thanks.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Therapy question

• I see a grief counselor.  I guess because I feel I need to be counseled through my grief.  My OB was able to give me a script for anti-depressants and I don't think I need any additional meds so I went with a grief counselor.  Plus it was offered for free by my company.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• The funeral home where we had DD cremated suggested a hospice group I see a grief counselor who is also a social worker who specializes in perinatal loss and infant loss.
    DS- Brenden born 11/13/93 Missed miscarriage on March 6, 2007 @ 9 weeks D&C on March 8th 2007. Riley Annalise born 2/25/08 ( 3 weeks early weighing 8 lbs 12.8 oz.) Chemical pregnancy 3/2010. Sydney Adriana born sleeping on 9/30/11 weighing 10lbs 3 oz at 38wks 4 days. Trinity Alivia born via c section at 36 wks 4 days weighing 9 lbs. 5.7 oz. She is our amazing rainbow baby!!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PGAL buddy drvst8
  • Loading the player...
  • I would echo the grief counselor or psychologist/social worker.  You're not mentally ill, you just need someone who can offer you support and help you find your way through this difficult experience. 
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • I just go to support group, this website and my blog. I chose not to do medication because I wanted to feel everything with the grieving process.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I don't know if she is a "grief counselor," but I saw a psychologist. I didn't want to see a psychiatrist because my issues were more wanting to talk things out then needing to be medicated. Most counselors, psychologists, LSWs will have some training with grief and I tend to think that most of it will be whether you have a good personality fit with the individual.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I saw an infertility counselor who came recommended from RESOLVE's website. Incidentially, she had lost twins the prior year and was a good help since she had gone through alot of IVF stuff. My sessions were like 1/2 grief counseling and 1/2 infertility b!tching. 

After a while though, I found that I was getting more depressed going to her hashing out all my problems and dwelling on my problems so I quit.  It probably helped that I got pregnant after 3 IVFs so I was feeling a tad better.  I will definitely go back if I try for a second since everyone else is tired of hearing of my struggles. 

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks ladies. I put some calls into my GP for a recommendation and to a psychologist recommended to me by a friend. Now just waiting for them to return my calls. Sad  I'm so impatient.
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"