3rd Trimester
Options

got a call from doctor office :(

My doctors office called me and told me they got back the results of my blood work. They told me that i am borderline high thyroid and that they want to check it again at my 6 week post appointment. Has anyone else been told this and how should i feel about what they told me.
IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary > image image

Re: got a call from doctor office :(

• Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid during the first tri and we have been watching it pretty closely (seeing MFM for regular u/s and doing  blood draws every 4 weeks). For me, they think it is pregnancy related and will likely resolve post-pregnancy. My MFM assured me (and my regular OB) the risk is mostly to me, not the baby, which eased my mind a lot.  You should be sure and mention it to your pediatrician because they may want to check the baby's  thyroid after birth.  Theresa858 on the May board and PGAL board is a GREAT wealth of info and is super helpful,if you want to go page her.  All in all, I wouldn't worry too much, especially since you are so close.  After pregnancy, there are more  tests that they can do to determine what may be causing it (some people have a disease called Graves that they test for with a blood test for certain anti-bodies)  and then there is a  radio-active iodine test that they can do to look at your thyroid (which they can't do when you are pregnant).  Hang in there and good luck!  And, you should definitely talk to your doctor some more at your next appt.  I know its hard, but I try to remind myself, if the dr isn't worried, I shouldn't (but that is really  hard to do... :)).
    DD2- May 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 1/26/11- missed m/c @ 12 weeks
  • Options
    thanks because reading up on it on the computer is making me freak out ya they have been checking up on my thyroid since my 1tri to and they told me the same thing i hope its just because i am pregnant thank you alot
    IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary > image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i was diagnosed hypothyroid after dd #1, but not until 5 months after having her. At the time they said it was pregnancy related, but it didn't go away. boo. they have been watching closely this pregnancy and my dose has gone up. The good news is once you're being regulated appropriately by meds it's really no big deal. Just take a pill every morning and you're good. So hang in there. Now that they know they will take good care of you. And if you're borderline and they are just finding it there are good chances you won't have it after pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen to me around 16 weeks or so and was put on Thyroid meds for it. I was already seeing MFM because I was high risk anyway so now I just see them more often and have blood work every 5 weeks or so to check my hormone levels. My MFM Dr assured me that as long as it's monitored it's really not a huge issue at all. He also has me come in for growth u/s since thyroid issues can cause the baby not to grow as well. The whole thing scared me to death at first, but the more I talk to my Dr about it, and the more I read about it, the more it seems like it's not that huge of a deal as long as you are monitored closely. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"