January 2011 Moms

CP: living arrangement

[Poll]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: CP: living arrangement

• We rent a house. I don't see us buying anything as long as DH is in the Army -you too stressful having to sell quickly or rent it out.
  • We own (well have a mortgage) our house.  I wish we rented some days.  We bought this house right near the top of the market and now owe about $50,000 more than the same house is selling for in our neighborhood at this time.  I know the market will eventually come back but it can't be soon enough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We got lucky and bought in 08 when the market was still terrible. The house we bought sold in 06 for 146 and we got it for 80.  If the market ever turns around we could make a heck of a profit.  I won't hold my breath though ;-)

• We own bought the house next door to my inlaws (I know, but it isn't actually to bad, set ground rules and haven't had issues yet) we have lived here since we got married in 08. Love our house, now we just need to start some updates and clean up, back yard, bathrooms, laundry room.
  • We're renting an apartment right now in NC and own a house that's being rented out in Ga.  DH keeps bringing up buying a house here too but like SweetH said, it's so stressful trying to rent them out.  He wants to have a bunch of houses that we just rent out and sell like 20 years from now but I'm was to much of a worry wart to take that risk.
  • We bought in 2007. It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Two years before we bought, our house sold for about 35% more than what we paid. However, the values dropped more and we're now underwater by quite a bit. Luckily, since we're going to have to wait the market out, we're pretty happy in our neighborhood and I have managed to make a lot of mommy friends nearby.

Although there are many great things about owning, there are many days when I wish we were renters again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We bought in 2010. Our house is holding it's value. I'm hoping all our improvements, plus our neighborhood will help when we sell in a couple years.

• I guess I'm the only one who owns an apartment. DH bought a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment shortly after college and just before this area had a boom. (If we sold tomorrow, we'd still make a profit.) We had been dating for a few months but weren't so serious (I moved to Montreal the week before he closed). It fits us nicely now and we've been redecorating together. It's also in a great location. The only thing that is really a pain is that we only have 1 parking spot. We have no idea if/when we'll move. It is kid-, job-, and market-dependent.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • We own a multi family home with three apartments. We live in one of them, my parents in another and my DH's coworker with his family in the other. It's more sq. ft. than any house we could afford with me SAH.
  • imageShleenish:
    We own bought the house next door to my inlaws (I know, but it isn't actually to bad, set ground rules and haven't had issues yet) we have lived here since we got married in 08. Love our house, now we just need to start some updates and clean up, back yard, bathrooms, laundry room.

Wow - we almost built next to my in-laws and thankfully the land did not perk.  I don't think my in-laws would respect the boundaries/rules.  Glad it works out for you.

• we're upside down by around $50-60K based on what is going on in our 'hood.  Yeah I could cry about it, especially since we are NOT ok with staying here long term.  Our neighborhood is run down, our neighbors don't care about maintaining their properties, and the public schools we are districted in totally suck, so it's only going to get worse.  I am desperate to sell it, problem is no bank will approve a short sale when you are current on your mortgage.  It blows.  My H bought this house when he was single and gave no thought whatsoever to 10 years down the road once he was married with a kid.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"