Parenting
Options

What kind of books is your 5-6 year old into?

DS is 5.5. His reading is just taking off lately. I'd like to find some books he really likes to encourage him to read independently (and together, really) when he's looking for something to do. 

I found some of my old Calvin & Hobbes books and he LOVES those, but we've already read just about all of them.

I was thinking of beginning chapter books. Any suggestions? What is your 5-6 year old liking?  

Re: What kind of books is your 5-6 year old into?

• Options

Try the Fly Guy books.  Another mom recommended them to me when I was complaining I had a hard time finding books for my first grade boy to get interested in - it seems like there are a lot more books for girls.  They might be hard for him alone, but they're pretty entertaining (and short - DS gets overwhelmed when there are too many words on a page - even if he can clearly read them all).  Now I'm recommending them to everyone - they're great for boys - just a little gross :)

Also, the Biscuit books are really good, easy readers.  He's been reading the "If you give a Moose a Muffin..." books independently as well.   

For chapter books for you to do together, there's always the Magic Treehouse series (which every kid but mine seems to love).  Also, there's a series called either My Whacky School or My Crazy school, something like that.

DS also likes the Magic School Bus books.  Or any of the "early readers" that are character driven, Cars, Phineas and Ferb, Spongebob (ick, but it gets him reading...).

• Options

Magic Tree House are awesome!  My DD also loves A to Z Mysteries, Capital Mysteries (based on DC landmarks), Calendar Mysteries.  I also believe there's a series of mysteries based on baseball, Ballpark Mysteries I think.  Cam Jansen books.

Henry and Mudge series and Mr. Putter and Tabby are also faves here! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ds loves the Magic Treehouse.  When he first started reading them, we would read them together.  After a few, he was reading them on his own.

Both my kids love Fly Guy.

DS also liked Stink...it is Judy Moody's brother.  

Ready Freddy series  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Henry and Mudge is a great first chapter book series. 

Fly Guy is fun too. 

• Options
    DS likes the Magic Treehouse, Teacher from the Black Lagoon, and he just got into A to Z Mysteries. He'll read anything with dinosaurs and he's really into the Chinese New Year. They talked about it in school and it just fascinated him so he wants to read about that right now. 
    -Sarah, Ryan 10.26.05 & Caleb 5.2.07 image
  • Options
    My DS is 5 and just learning to read independently, so we're still doing beginner reader books for that.  But, at night, I'm reading the chapter book "My Father's Dragon" to him and he loves it.
  • Options
    We started reading Magic Treehouse together. He likes some of the longer picture books that I have about St. George and the dragon and some Russian fairy tales.
    AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Options
    I am so glad you posted this, since I was just thinking I needed some new material for DS. So thanks!
  • Options
    Ditto on the Magic Treehouse and Fly Guy suggestions.  He also likes the Amelia Bedelia and Cam Jansen series.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"