January 2012 Moms
Options

Those who have LO with reflux, question

What sealed the deal to let you know it was reflux? My DD has been super fussy, spit up so much last night I was worried she was going to drown, and doesn't want to be laid down. She is arching her back and lifting her head up and to the side. She seems to have all the symptoms but I don't want to jump the gun. Any advice? I'm trying to keep her up after eating. Oh, I give her breast milk in a bottle. I was always told it wa rare for bf babies to get reflux. 

Any advice or reccomendations are appreciated.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Those who have LO with reflux, question

• Options

The projectile spit up, arching and stiffening while nursing him.  We started meds at 1 month old, and for that first month any moment that we were not burping him, nursing him, or he was sleeping, he screamed a high pitch scream.  We would burp him for hours bc it was the only way to stop the screaming.

At his 1 month appt, he was gained weight really good.  So the dr said I didn't NEED to give him the medicine (we were hesitent) and that it would not harm him if we didn't and he would eventually outgrow the reflux.  But bc of his constant screaming, she recommended we give it a try since he was obviously uncomfortable.  Now he only has moments of screaming - and it is usually right before his next dose is due, but for the most part he is calm or just a regular baby cry when he needs something.  He still spits up a lot, but it doesn't seem to bother him like it used to.

• Options

we went to the doctor this week and i was positive it was going to be reflux.  Doctor didn't want to jump onto meds, so he had a switch to soy formula as a trial.  LO has done a complete 180!

If you think LO does have reflux, things that we have been doing are:  Propping the crib up one end so he's not laying flat, have him sitting up to eat, smaller portions more often (stomach is only so big), burp more often (about every 1-1.5 oz), gripe water, and now the soy formula.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our LO has reflux and we thought there was something wrong because when she burped or spit up formula would come out her nose and she would also cry anytime she burped.

We asked about switching to soy but our pediatrician said it's really constipating. She told us to keep her upright after feedings, don't burp her until the end of the feeding and to use a faster flowing nipple so she doesn't have to work so hard for the formula causing her to swallow more air. She's on Zantac and it has helped for sure. We also switched from Dr. Brown's bottles because she said those are no good and got Tommee Tippees (Ped said to use any bottle, that it doesn't matter, just not the Dr. Brown's) so we tried a couple different ones and like the Tommees so far.

I have a friend who breastfeeds and her son has reflux. I think the arching of the back is one of the signs although our LO never did that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"