Breastfeeding
Options

Nursing to sleep...your thoughts?

DS is pretty much out by the time he finishes eating at night time. Many books talk about putting your baby to bed when they are tired but awake. DS is almost 5 months old and we haven't done any sleep training because we haven't had need to. I wanted to hear from mommies with older LOs about this. What are your thoughts on this?
BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing to sleep...your thoughts?

• Options
    My DD is nearly 9 months old and I nurse to sleep every night. It works for us, so I try not to stress over it.
  • Options

I have always nursed DD to sleep, even though I have read all of the same information about putting baby to bed awake but drowsy. 

Over the last couple months, DD has gone from waking 3-4 times per night to only once.  She sleeps from 7p-4a.  So I think that she is doing better all on her own terms....even with me nursing her to sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I nurse DD almost to sleep and put her down while she's drowsy.  Usually she will fall asleep, but there are some nights where she fusses or starts crying or wakes back up.  If she does that, then I go in and nurse her back to sleep.  I think if your LO is falling asleep and staying asleep, then keep doing what you're doing.  Just because all the books say so, doesn't mean it's going to work exactly for you. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

It's up to you if you want to nurse to sleep...hey if it works why mess with it.

BUT just please everyone remember to wipe/clean the gums, especially if they already have baby teeth!  Baby teeth WILL rot if you feed and put them to bed without cleaning them.  I'm only saying this because I'm a dentist and I've seen too many 2 year-olds who come in pain, with all their baby teeth beyond repair.  It breaks my heart when I have to tell the moms that they 2 year-old will need IV sedation at the oral surgeons, to be put to sleep so all their baby teeth can be extracted.  Most moms don't realize that it's NOT ok to put the baby to bed with a bottle/food without wiping/cleaning/brushing, that overnight all that milk/sugar sits on the baby's teeth and eats it away.  And extracting all the rottenteeth doesn't solve all the issues: the kid will be without those teeth for many more years until the adult teeth finally come in, and when the adult teeth do come in they are much much more likely to be crooked and needing orthodontic intervention.

• Options
    imagewenniezoo:

It's up to you if you want to nurse to sleep...hey if it works why mess with it.

BUT just please everyone remember to wipe/clean the gums, especially if they already have baby teeth!  Baby teeth WILL rot if you feed and put them to bed without cleaning them.  I'm only saying this because I'm a dentist and I've seen too many 2 year-olds who come in pain, with all their baby teeth beyond repair.  It breaks my heart when I have to tell the moms that they 2 year-old will need IV sedation at the oral surgeons, to be put to sleep so all their baby teeth can be extracted.  Most moms don't realize that it's NOT ok to put the baby to bed with a bottle/food without wiping/cleaning/brushing, that overnight all that milk/sugar sits on the baby's teeth and eats it away.  And extracting all the rottenteeth doesn't solve all the issues: the kid will be without those teeth for many more years until the adult teeth finally come in, and when the adult teeth do come in they are much much more likely to be crooked and needing orthodontic intervention.

thank you for this info!  what do you suggest we use to wipe their gums down with?  DD nurses to sleep and your post scares me!  i would like to start doing this even though she is still toothless.  thanks!

• Options

I have no problems allowing DS to nurse to sleep if he wants.  As he has gotten older the nursing to sleep has tapered off a lot.   It used to be that he would nurse to sleep every single night.   As he's gotten older he sometimes nurses to sleep at night but sometimes he nurses a bit unlatches himself and then goes to sleep a few minutes later by himself.  Yes I do stay with him till he falls asleep but I know eventually he will outgrow needing me nearby to fall asleep just like he is starting to outgrow needing to nurse to sleep.   IMHO if your okay with allowing him to nurse to sleep do it, worry about changing it when it no longer works for your family.

• Options
    imagekami1977:

I have no problems allowing DS to nurse to sleep if he wants.  As he has gotten older the nursing to sleep has tapered off a lot.   It used to be that he would nurse to sleep every single night.   As he's gotten older he sometimes nurses to sleep at night but sometimes he nurses a bit unlatches himself and then goes to sleep a few minutes later by himself.  Yes I do stay with him till he falls asleep but I know eventually he will outgrow needing me nearby to fall asleep just like he is starting to outgrow needing to nurse to sleep.   IMHO if your okay with allowing him to nurse to sleep do it, worry about changing it when it no longer works for your family.

This. Follow your LO's cues and continue to do what works the best for the both of you. There is nothing wrong with nursing to sleep. Period.

AmyG is spot on with the BM and brushing. If you give LO a bath every night then brush the teeth then. The BM from night nursing isn't going to decay LO's teeth.

https://kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemooshagirl:
    I nursed DD to sleep until she was 19 months old and I weaned her.  Then I continued to rock her to sleep for a few more months.  Now I just sit next to her bed and she falls asleep just fine.  It is only natural for a baby to nurse to sleep and I don't think it creates bad habits, but actually improves bonding.  I cherished those moments.
    . This is what I feel and so glad to hear about the success many of you had for a long time!
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I still nurse DS to sleep, and it is one of my favorite parts of the day. From months 5-8 I really worried about the effects of nursing to sleep, since so many people discourage it (internet, doctor, family), but I eventually learned to listen to my own intuition.  As long as it is working for both him and I, I won't change it.  If it becomes a problem, I will.

The best part about nursing a toddler to sleep is to see how excited he gets for bedtime.  When I tell him it is time to nurse and go to bed, he will run into his bedroom and climb into the glider.  Makes my heart melt every time.

• Options
    I love nursing DD to sleep.  DH, DD, and I all get into bed, we watch a movie or show and LO nurses and goes to sleep.  It's one of my favorite parts of our day.  We tried tired but awake and she we were all miserable.  If we have people over, I just sit on the couch and nurse her, then take her upstairs when I'm ready for bed.
  • Options
    I nursed Ro to sleep until she refused me. :(
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    imageILoveRunning:

I still nurse DS to sleep, and it is one of my favorite parts of the day. From months 5-8 I really worried about the effects of nursing to sleep, since so many people discourage it (internet, doctor, family), but I eventually learned to listen to my own intuition.  As long as it is working for both him and I, I won't change it.  If it becomes a problem, I will.

The best part about nursing a toddler to sleep is to see how excited he gets for bedtime.  When I tell him it is time to nurse and go to bed, he will run into his bedroom and climb into the glider.  Makes my heart melt every time.

Awww, definitely heart melting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"