Breastfeeding
Options

Pacifiers?

Hi, I'm a lurker with a question. I'm due in a few days with my first child. I really want to EBF and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of offering a pacifier in the hospital. I am worried that it will cause nipple confusion and inhibit my breastfeeding. Should I hold off until the BF has been established or go ahead with the pacifier? What are your experiences, opinions? TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pacifiers?

• Options
    The nicu gave him one without us knowing. We old them no when we saw but were told he couldnt self soothe and cried a ton. We gave in and it has not been an issue. He only takes it sometimes but it doesnt affect his latch. Most will say to wait 3-4 weeks. 

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Options
    We EBF and didn't do a paci until after 3 weeks. I would try to go without and maybe try it if you feel you need it only. Offering it after 3 weeks we haven't had any nipple confusion or latch issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has had one since the begining and there has been no issues with confusionI didnt want to give him one in the hospital but i gave in once i found out thatduring his few hours in the nicu he had been given one and it semed to helpHim sooth without hindering our bf'ing experience. He still uses one and at7 weeks he definately knows the difference between breast and paci. Good luckIm sure whatever your desicion is, it will be right for you and your LO.
  • Options
    I had the same experience as PP, DD had to spend some time in the nursery away from me under the bili lights and couldn't self soothe, so we gave her the pacifier and never had any problems.  I've heard nipple confusion is a myth and I've heard some mom's swear they had issues.  Unfortunately I think this might be a "depends on you baby" kind of thing.  I'd hold off for a few weeks if you can, but make the decision depending on what works for you hour by hour....yep it changes that fast in the beginning :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I read all about nipple confusion and was determined not to give a pacifier until at least a month. On DS's first night home, he wanted to comfort nurse literally ALL night, and the no pacifier thing went out the window. We never had any issue with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.  We tried to give my LO a paci and she never liked it.
  • Options

imagebelladonna11307:
    I had the same experience as PP, DD had to spend some time in the nursery away from me under the bili lights and couldn't self soothe, so we gave her the pacifier and never had any problems.  I've heard nipple confusion is a myth and I've heard some mom's swear they had issues.  Unfortunately I think this might be a "depends on you baby" kind of thing.  I'd hold off for a few weeks if you can, but make the decision depending on what works for you hour by hour....yep it changes that fast in the beginning :)

This!  DS had the same issue with bili lights...Still taking paci, nine mos old now, and still BFing with no problems.We were just told by a LC and pedi to make sure that he didn't get the paci instead of nursing.  Nurse on demand, in between demands (more often than an hour and a half or so) give paci if he couldn't self soothe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"