Trouble TTC
Options

timing for ovulation

Ok don't flame me for this because i'm usually pretty good with researching things - but i always thought that the day or two that you ovulate are usually the only times you can get pg. but now i'm doing some reading that shows BD'ing a day or two prior to ovulation can actually be good also? i guess i always thought you only had a short window of when you're actually ovulating, but i know sperm can live in our bodies for longer than we think. i'm just trying to hold out some hope for this cycle, although i know it's probably very unlikely. i was traveling, but we BD'd on a Sunday night (late) and then I had some brownish spotting that could be O related on Tues. Then i returned home on Fri. Anyway, just thinking out loud i guess. you learn something new every day with IF huh.

TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014

Re: timing for ovulation

• Options
    Yep.. FF considers anywhere from 3 days before ovulation to the day after your fertile window. You don't ovulate for a day or 2, just one. But like you said, it takes the sperm time to swim, and they can live for a few days inside.
    In general,  we usually try to BD the whole week of ovulation. So whatever week I expect to get a positive OPK, we start like 3 days before that and go like 3 days after it.  My positive OPK was Tuesday, 02/14/2012.  So we had sex Saturday through Saturday.  Sometimes every other day.. sometimes every day.. depending on what we have going on but we do it as much as we can the whole week.  Sperm does live for a while.. I've heard 3 days.. I've heard 3-5.. my RE usally recommends every other day around trigger/positive OPK
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PP is correct that the fertile window is considered for five days.... three days prior to O, day of O, and day after O.   This is because sperm can live up to 4 days and and your egg follie can live over 24 hours. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"