1st Trimester

Drank an entire bottle of wine :(

DH and I have been trying for over a year,  I sort of lost hope that it would ever happen.  I take thyroid medicine and it's been a long battle.  Saturday night after an exhaustive day, I sat down and drank some wine while watching tv with DH.  He was sick, and one glass lead to another.  Not a typical night for me at all, but the wine was YUMMY ;) By the end of 5 hours, the bottle was gone.  Opps.

the next day for some reason I decided to pee on a stick, and almost lost it.  It came back positive.  Now I feel horrible and guilty.   Please know - I don't do that every night or eve every weekend.  The last time I drank was a month ago. 

When I was PG with my last one, I had been on vacation at a morning brunch having champagne and orange juice. 

I know the doctor will say " you wouldn't have got pregnant had you not drank.."   because that's what they told me last time.  All was well- but I still feel bad.  I'm 4w 2days blood test confirmed it today :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Drank an entire bottle of wine :(

• Well, I don't agree with his statement since you obviously didn't conceive the  night you drank the wine, BUT there's still the saying drink til it's pink.

You don't share a bloodstream with the embryo/fetus until like 6 or 8 wks. I drank a whole bottle of wine at about the same time as you and didn't find out until 2 wks later (6 wks pregnant). You just have to hope the bloodstream idea is right. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try not to worry too much. You didn't know. With DD I got completely drunk a week before I found out I was pregnant. I felt bad, but really, there was nothing I could do about it. DD is completely healthy and happy today. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm peeking in from the 6-9 month board and I accidentally came in here. 

I wouldn't worry too much.  I found out that I was pregnant 3 days after a huge holiday party.  We're talking throwing up the whole next day.  I hadn't been hungover like that since college.  We'd been trying for a year and a half at that point.  My little man is a very happy and healthy 6 month old now.  :)

When it's that early it's not that bad.  As long as you don't drink bottles of wine anymore I'd say you are fine.

Good luck and congrats!!!!

• I drank an entire bottle of wine as well the night before my BFP.  I was hungover when I took my test...DS is now over 3 months old and happy and healthy.  Do not beat yourself up for something like this.
  • Drink till it is pink

I had two large glasses of wine at night and next morning BFP!

• I wouldn't give yourself too much grief, I had a girls night a few days before I found out I was expecting my daughter.  I think I told my doctor who just shrugged and said the important thing is what you do now, not before you knew.

• I agree with what all the PPs have said... don't worry about it.  The way I like to think about it is this: think of all the babies who are born each year to crack addicts or heroine addicts.  If their babies survive despite the drugs their moms take, I think you'll be just fine even with a whole bottle of wine. That's why if you're really craving sushi, or unpasteurized cheese, just go for it... one roll or a few crackers with cheese isn't going to harm you or your baby that much, especially if it's from a place you've been to before and have never gotten sick from.
  • IIRC, the umbilical cord doesn't even attach to the mother until 5-6 weeks gestation. It's a built in fail-safe. Like PP, I also got drunk 2 days before I got a BFP and DD is perfectly fine.
  • I split a bottle of wine with DH almost nightly when I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant with DS. I was actually drinking a glass when I decided, what the heck I'll go pee on a stick.  I dumped the glass and didn't drink the rest of the pregnany.

My sister was 10 weeks pregnant when she found out with #2 (her kids are only 15 months apart). During that time before she found out, she was on Birth Control,  Fen Phen (!! before it was taken off the market), and went to Cancun with her husband.  Her son is perfectly healthy.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• first off you don't have to defend your decision to drink an entire bottle of wine in one evening.  we're not your judge & jury ;)  regardless, don't feel badly.  when I discovered I was pregnant I felt HORRIBLE about the copious amounts of alcohol and sushi I consumed prior, especially the three huge margaritas I had at a happy hour the night before peeing on a stick.  *shrugs* it was the holidays, I was on break, friends were in town, I was letting loose and having a good time.  everything I've read says to not worry about what you did prior to finding out you were pregnant, just to not do those types of things anymore. 

I am having sushi tomorrow night, though, and will make sure it's either veggie rolls or tempura (cooked).

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker "You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, and with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. You impoverish yourself if you forget this errand." - Woodrow Wilson
  • I did that once with a bottle of wine... I kept pouring myself glass after glass and then realized I had drank the whole bottle. I was sure feeling it in the morning! A week before getting a BFP, I had half a bottle of bacardi mixed with Faygo Peach. I couldn't believe I had drank without knowing I was pregnant. My LO is 2 years old and fine, so don't sweat it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Don't freak out :) I drank quite a bit before finding out I was pregnant...it was aorund New Year's.  In all the research I can find (and I scrounged, wanting to know where I stood after all that wine....), the only PROVEN ill effects are for women who drink heavily and regularly throughout their pregnancies. I could find NO research showing that one early binge (or, to be 100% honest, even light drinking later on) could cause poor outcomes either for the pregnancy or behavioral/cognitive outcomes in the child.

Don't stress--you're fine! And congrats!

• I guess I should remember, my aunt drank vodka Gimblets with my cousin her ENTIRE pregnancy and he's got over a 180 IQ... Genius is 140.    I'll let it go :)

• as a PP said, I came to 1st Tri on accident since for some reason, the bump always takes me here first.  Sometimes i like to lurk to relive the days that i was still newly pregnant and excited!

anyways, back to the subject... I was about 3 months pregnant before i found out with DD.  I was 21 years old and drank way more than i care to admit before i realized i was pregnant.  She is 7 years old now and healthy as a horse.  As long as you dont make a habbit out of drinking through your entire pregnancy, your baby will be fine

• I drank a beer while I waited for the three minutes the test took to finish.  Like a PP said - it's safe to drink til its pink. 

You and baby don't share a bloodstream yet.  As long as you stop drinking/smoking/other harmful things as soon as you know you're PG, there is absolutely no reason to worry.

• I treated mine to a binge amount of redbull and vodka, and based on the way my body reacted the next day I knew something was up.  I didn't get my BFP until 8 days later.

Yes I feel like a tool but after a week of feeling awful about it I am more rational and know that while it's not great, it's okay.  I got some VERY nasty comments/lectures from my friend's fiance who was at the party and now knows I'm pregnant.  I can't wait to wrap a big turd for her wedding gift. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • It's fine.  I was at a wedding taking shots with the bride the night before my BFP with my daughter. Drink til it's pink... the baby is fine and doesn't get much of anything from you until your into your second month.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• My sister found out she was pregnant with #2 bc she went to a bachelorette party and ended up getting sick after a few shots and drinks but usually doesn't. Don't worry, her baby came out perfect and definitely the saying drink until its pink goes! Congrats!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 2/10/2012!
    Due Date: 10/15/2012!
    Baby Boy Born 10/11/12! (Not on purpose) :)
  • I did the same thing!  A friend and I split 2 bottles of wine a few days before I found out I was pregnant.  A few of my friends questioned why I had drank so much if I was trying to get pregnant, in an attempt to make me feel guilty.  But I asked my Dr about it and he said its nothing to worry about.  I'm 10 weeks now and so far so good :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Agree with everyone. As for me, I conceived a month before my wedding and the bachelorette party was 2 weeks before. We were actively TTC but for some reason I thought I wasn't pregnant that month so I decided to drink at the party. I was 9 DPO when we left for vegas, I tested and it was a stark negative. Me and the bridesmaids got very, very drunk. I came home after the weekend and it was a dark positive. I was worried just like you at first, but my baby was perfectly healthy yesterday at my 10ish week appt! So no worries :) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't worry my Dr. refers to this as the "all or nothing stage" where either what you consume will be so bad for you, you won't get pregnant at all or it will have absolutely no effects on baby. So you should be fine. I also drank a bottle of home made  strawberry wine 3 days before my BFP. I am 13weeks and we have seen our happy healthy little monkey bouncing around on the u/s screen twice now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"