Baby Showers

Thoughts?

A friend of mine is throwing me a baby shower but because their apartment is so small they want to have it in our home. This isn't a problem and I think it will be alot easier for her to plan this way. The question is if we should invite neighbors?

We are not really close with the neighbors across the street from us. We wave to each other but neither of us goes out of our way to go over and say hi. We were married on our property over the summer but kept it small with close family and friends. We didn't invite the neighbors across the street because it didn't dawn on us until the last minute that it was probably really rude not to invite them. We ran into them at the community picnic and the first thing they did was compliment us on the decorations and setup from the wedding. I felt horrible for not thinking of them then being too embarrassed to go over at the last minute and say "Hey! I'm a clueless rude neighbor please comeover and join us!"

So now we're planning another event right across the street from them. Granted this one will be inside and there won't be a giant tent in our back yard this time. I don't want to appear gift grabby but at the same time I'm afraid this is a repeat of the wedding. If it was you would you invite them?

Thanks!
Completely clueless neighbor

Re: Thoughts?

• No, I wouldn't invite them.  You may live across the street, but that doesn't now mean you have to include them in every social event you have at your house.  They are being nice- complimenting you.  That doesn't mean "why weren't we invited???". 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• To add- if you want to get to know them, then do so by inviting them over one night for dinner and drinks, or something like that. See if you actually "really" like them and would want to continue socializing w/ them.

Don't make your first social overture to them a GIFT GIVING event for YOU!  That's a big event in your life, and one that should be saved for people you're actually close to.  Not random neighbors that you only wave to. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • No, do not invite the neighbors.  You do not know them.  Only close family and friends are invited to showers.  We lived at our old home for many, many years and really only "knew" one neighbor (only had one on each side...many acres separating everyone) and even though we would chit chat and we went to their son's graduation open house we didn't know them well enough to invite them to my shower.  She brought over a gift when he was born though.  Your neighbor might do the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"