Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

LO will not STTN!

LO will not STTN and DH and I are going crazy!  Maybe once a week he will sttn but otherwise he wakes up once sometimes even twice to eat in the middle of the night.  And it isn't a little "i'm hungry" whine, it's a full out scream.  Sometimes he is sitting up screaming in his crib, sometimes he is on all fours trying to crawl.  We've tried the Ferber method and so far there are no results.  (We live in an apartment so it's hard to let him be loud in the middle of the night.)  We feed him both baby food and a bottle before bedtime.  We can't see or feel any teeth, so I'm not sure what the deal is.  

Any suggestions on how to get my little monster to sleep would be wonderful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO will not STTN!

• Options

Is there a reason you don't want to feed him?  I can understand if he were waking 5 or 6 times every night and you were feeding him each time, but once or maybe twice doesn't seem a big deal to me.  If N's hungry, I feed him.  He's usually back asleep within 15 minutes.

As for Ferber, it sounds like you aren't really following it as strictly as you need to (based on your comment about not letting him be loud).  It won't work (or at least it won't work as well as it could) unless you stick to it like the book describes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's not uncommon for 7 month olds to still wake up. There was a poll in the BMB recently that showed many babies this age are still eating 2 to 3 times a night and waking up more. I say just feed him. He will STTN eventually. My LO is 7 months today. He wakes up twice, and I actually love that time together. (It's the early wake-up for the day that kills me!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not that I mind feeding LO, I just don't want him to get into the habit of needing to eat in the middle of the night.  It seems to be more lately that he is waking up more often also.  We used to have two or three nights a week when he wouldn't wake up.
  • Options

The only thing that's consistent about my DS's sleep is that it's inconsistent.  Just because he was doing something last week doesn't mean it'll be the same this week.

I still feed DS at least once in the middle of the night, but the time varies wildly - sometimes it's 1 AM, sometimes 4. He's NEVER been consistent in his sleep.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageAsOctoberFalls:

The only thing that's consistent about my DS's sleep is that it's inconsistent.  Just because he was doing something last week doesn't mean it'll be the same this week.

THIS  My DD seems to change things up weekly.  One week she goes down so easy at night, the next week she fights it.  One week she's up once a night, the next week twice.  If your son is getting up more than usual he might be going through a growth spurt.  I know there is usually one a 6 months but I'm not sure when the next one typically is.  But even so, my DD never seemed to follow the typical growth spurt schedule.

He'll sttn eventually.  Good luck!

• Options
    K wakes up 2-6 times a night.  Most nights it is 2 or 3, but we had two weeks with 5 or 6 times a night...it was awful.  If she is hungry, I feed her.  (She gained 2.5 pounds in the last month...so it must have been a growth spurt.)
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a case of having a baby.
  • Options
    You'll always find people with tales of babies who STTD at a month old or whatever but a 7 month old who DOESN'T STTN is reallly more the norm, hate to say. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    imagekatem3277:

imagehellaine:

Yes

LOL! Love it. Also I personally don't expect my baby to sleep all night and not eat anything. Small tummies! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We are down to 1-2 feedings a night and its like a dream! we used to have 8, and if hes screaming like my guy then he prolly is hungry so.. feed him! lol. Hungry is hungry not much you can do..

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagehellaine:

LMAO!  I have the same case.

My LO still wakes up at least once a night and sometimes twice.  BTW STTN is considered 6 hours or longer, so my baby does STTN, his night, not mine.  As for the definite 1 feeding, its usually between 1 and 2am and I know he's hungry because he's fussing with his eyes closed.  As soon as I pick him up and sit down he has his little hands up reaching and his mouth puckered open.  Now granted I am decreasing the amount I give him at that time in order to boost his daytime intake but if he's hungry I feed him.  

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    I obviously understand that babies get hungry.  I was just wondering if anyone had any tips that were successful for them.  It is refreshing to hear that so many other babies at the same age are not sleeping through the night.  Now I don't feel so much like the only one.
  • Options
    It is very common to have 1-2 wakings per night.  I don't really see it as a problem.  You might just have one of those babies.  We do and I am fine with 1 night waking per night it is only about 15 minutes.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageCrash Into Me:
    You poor thing. Two wakings per night? Dd had a good night last night and that meant only 5 wakings. Some babies just can't sttn.
    Oh crash:) I wonder what it feels like to only wake up once or twice. I dream this day will come.
  • Options

I am kind of happy to read that others are having our same issues! My little boy is almost 7 months old and has slept through the night MAYBE 3-4 times since birth... and definitely nothing recent. I feel like everyone who had a baby after me has a baby already STTN so it gets annoying to hear about that. This makes me feel more normal!

My son goes to sleep ok but he just has a problem STAYING asleep :( 

• Options

Waking up twice a night when he is CLEARLY going through major developmental milestones is actually very good.  Your little "monster" is trying to figure out his new skills and because he is growing and developing so much, he may actually *gasp* need to eat. 

One thing you could try is getting him to eat more during the day.  How many ounces of formula/bm and solid is he eating a day?  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

imageCrash Into Me:
    You poor thing. Two wakings per night? Dd had a good night last night and that meant only 5 wakings. Some babies just can't sttn.

Gabe only woke up twice last night and I cried this morning I was so happy.  We were at 7 the night before.  I feel ya!  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

I guess I may not be much help with what you are looking for. But my opinion is to feed him if he is hungry at night. My LO has just started to STTN sometimes. But most of the time she wakes up once or twice and I nurse her and she goes back to sleep. Contrary to what a lot of people say, it is normal for many babies to still need to wake up and eat at night up until around a year old. Not to mention it helps comfort them to suck, nursing or a bottle, when they wake up upset in the night. I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but that's fine with me. You obviously can decide for yourself if your baby needs to eat at night or if you will try some method to get him to not wake up and cry. GL with whatever way you choose!

EDIT: Lol. I guess I should have read the other posts before. I guess a lot of others will agree with me! And btw, mine was one of the ones who would wake up 4 or 5 times a night. So last night she woke up technically twice before we got up for the day and that was fine. Even though she STTN the two nights before that. But, she is sleeping much better now in the last month or so than she used to. Although when her teeth come in she sleeps terribly!

• Options
    I am kind of happy to read that others are having our same issues! My little boy is almost 7 months old and has slept through the night MAYBE 3-4 times since birth... and definitely nothing recent. I feel like everyone who had a baby after me has a baby already STTN so it gets annoying to hear about that. This makes me feel more normal!

This! DH has just been quizzing me this week on why DS doesn't sleep through the night, and after reading all of these responses to him he sees we are normal just as I've been telling him!! :)
  • Options

We had similar wake ups lately where Abby would be screaming as loudly as she could. Usually if she wakes for food, she has a certain little cry, but when she was waking and sitting or on all fours, she was hysterical. I think that what was happening was that she was just stuck. She was sitting up and had no idea how to be lying down again. We just had to ease her back down onto her mattress and help her calm down by rubbing her hair. She wasn't hungry. We were trying to feed her for a while, but she was just playing with her bottle instead of eating, or just passing out while we tried to feed her. 

It is very possible that LO is waking because he is hungry, but if you get the feeling that hunger isn't the issue, the culprit could be that he just doesn't know how to move his body. It took Abby a few weeks to figure out how to get herself unstuck (usually anyway, sometimes I will still go in to find her sitting up and crying because she is just so tired but can't lie down). Hang in there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"