Two Under 2
Options

Sharing a room, bedtime

So, our little ones will share a room. In fact they are doing so now. However, here's my question. The little one goes to bed first and then the toddler goes in later. So far he does not seem to understand the concept of being quiet (we tried to practice when she was napping, or sometimes I'll tell him she's sleeping when really my husband has her, but it didn't work so good). Anyway, we were in there going to bed and he kept being really loud. Amazingly she didn't wake up (she did stir a couple times and I freaked out inside because my husband isn't home for bedtime and I didn't have a back up plan). They're both happily sleeping now but I'm looking for tips and tricks so that my son doesn't wake my daughter every night, and also for just in case he does. What would you do in that situation?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sharing a room, bedtime

• Options

When my kids first started sharing, #2 went to bed first. Sometimes I would put #1's pajamas, diaper, and a book in our room when I put #2 down, so that we could do #1's bedtime routine in our room and just go in their room to put her in the crib when she was calm and settled. Though, my #2 was a heavy sleeper at the time and we learned we didn't have to be so cautious.

If your DS does happen to wake your DD, I'd just cut his bedtime routine a little short if she was really screaming and then nurse or rock her to sleep - however you normally get her to sleep. She may stir and not cry, and then I'd just keep going with DS, leave the room, and see how it goes from there.

It's all trial and error at first until you find what works for your kids. :)

• Options

Do you have a sound machine?  I make sure that's on when I put DD2 to bed.  DD1 goes to bed after her.  I put her pjs on and brush her teeth downstairs, since sometimes she fights it.  She knows that she is supposed to be quiet because baby sister is sleeping, but sometimes she cries because she doesn't want to go to bed.  

Was he being loud in bed?  On the way to the bed?  I carry DD1 into the room, give her a kiss, put her blanket over her, and leave.  I try to get in and out as fast as possible. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD1 is a great sleeper. DD2 not so much. We just got her out of our room a few weeks ago and we are still adjusting.

We have a bedtime routine that includes both girls. Bath, pjs, brush teeth, books, a song or two, hugs and kisses, lights out. Then I nurse DD2 for a few minutes and put her in her crib, still awake. She always cries for a minute or two, and DD1 says "mommy Ellie's crying," very softly. So I peek in and say "shhhhh it's ok. Go night night" and They do. 

DD2 still wakes up between 3-4 and sometimes she is very insistant on a nursing session, so we are trying to get her night weaned without keeping DD1 up too much.It's difficult...but I'm sure it won't last long.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"