Washington Babies
Options

Anyone have short term disability from the state while on maternity leave?

I was reading that I may be able to have work's FMLA and STD done while i'm on maternity leave. I read my benefits from work but it doesn't mention anything about STD, just FMLA. I don't receive enough sick/vacation/floating holiday time to cover 12 weeks. I am saving money but wondered about other options.

Has anyone applied with the state for STD for maternity leave?

TTC #2 since Sept '16
My Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28017b
TTC #1- 3 failed rounds of Clomid/ Surprise Natural BFP w/weight loss- 9/22/11 DD 5/12
DX. Dec '09 w/ Inappropriate LH Secretion Syndrom/PCOS/ Anov 28 months
(Former username: xxbblueangelxx)

Re: Anyone have short term disability from the state while on maternity leave?

• Options

I got STD that turned into LTD because my dr took me out of work a few weeks early. Check with HR at your work but you should get STD for the weeks right after having your baby. If I remember right I had 6 weeks STD and 12 for FMLA. I was also able to take any vacation/sick time I had on top of the 18 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Washington State does not offer STD benefits so it is not something you could really apply to the state for. Some states (such as California) offer this coverage and it covers pregnancy, unfortunately Washington is not one of them. A few years back they were going to add a coverage of $250.00 per week for pregnancy related disability, in the end there was no money to fund the program and it was cut.

If your company offers Short Term Disability insurance or you have purchased optional STD insurance through your employer then you should be able to receive benefits from that for the first 6- 8 weeks of your maternity leave. I had purchased a STD policy from Aflac through my employer and they classify pregnancy as a covered ?sickness? so after was eligible to receive benefits for my recovery time which was defined as the six weeks following my vaginal delivery (minus a 7 day waiting period) so I was paid for 5 weeks.

FMLA and Washington Family Leave allow you to take up to 18 weeks off and have your job protected if you work for a qualifying company; however if you do not have enough PTO to cover the time off it is unpaid

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I also think that you need to apply for STD before you get pregnant. I don't think most places will cover you when you're already pregnant. 

I work for the state and only have 5 weeks of sick/vacation time. I'm taking the rest unpaid unfortunately.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the information ladies. It has helped.
    TTC #2 since Sept '16
    TTC #1- 3 failed rounds of Clomid/ Surprise Natural BFP w/weight loss- 9/22/11 DD 5/12
  • Options

I had STD through my work and also a supplemental STD so I was covered 100% from day 1 for 8 weeks (c-section - would have been 6 for vaginal birth). Everything after that was FMLA and used my leave.  Check with your work, I've heard some work places that require you to use all your PTO/Vaction before you can use anything else...

Also, FYI, FMLA is 16 weeks in Washington state (WA has the additional 4 weeks).  Paid/Unpaid depends on your leave policy at work but your job is secure for 16 weeks vs. the national 12.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I spoke to work and they don't offer STD for hourly people. Boooo.

I did know theat Washington has the extra 4 weeks. My vacation/sick/floating holidays barely cover the first 4 weeks of FMLA. I don't think DH and I can handle 12 weeks of no pay from me if I took 16 off. We are saving to cover up to 12 weeks total. I would love 16 weeks if I could.

TTC #2 since Sept '16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"