Working Moms
Options

kids in two different childcare places?

right now DS is in a home daycare, but after my maternity leave with LO#2 (due in june) I really wanted him to go to a preschool program.  So i'm investigating the types of facilities that have infant daycare plus full day preschool under one roof. they are pricey!! (here in chicago).  But i can't fathom having to drive my kids to two different spots (infant to our current home daycare, plus DS to a separate preschool) on top of my hour plus commute each way driving to work.

other option: both kids go to the same in-home and we delay DS going to preschool yet (but I have guilt about him not being in an organized preschool facility)

Do you drop your kids in two different places? Does it drive you crazy?? Side note: DH travels a ton for work and I can't count on him for any help with daycare dropoff/pickups

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: kids in two different childcare places?

• Options

I'm not expecting baby #2 but have been planning... I've thought about this exact scenario! Our DD is starting preschool in a couple of weeks and I couldn't imagine paying those infant prices so we would have to do something different. I figure that if I we have a second child I will end up driving the oldest to school and the second to daycare... So it will be two different places.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What about a nanny for LO#2? Then you would only have one drop off, and depending on if the nanny drives, she could help with preschool drop off/pickup. That's an option we're thinking about if we're blessed with another LO. We are switching DD to a preschool this fall as well. I live where you do, so I know a nanny can be pretty pricey too though.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would go nuts having to get in and out of a car for 2 different drop offs and pickups.... esp bc you'd have to take the other child in/out of the car when you get the 2nd child - what a PITA.

My kids might be in different schools starting in Sept when DS1 goes to Kindergarten and i'm dreading it (but there's a chance they'll be at the same school with him if they get into the early help preK there... i find out soon).... praying that happens just for the drop off and pick up issues.

I'm also a bigger fan of daycare centers for many reasons- more accountability... more academics... more safety with kids only in a room with other kids their age and not older kids who might act out, etc.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options
    This is what I will be doing for at least the next 2 years, possibly 3 if we redshirt DS for some reason.  DD will start the public kindergarten and after school program and DS will continue in daycare.  And naturally, while both are relatively close to our house, they are in OPPOSITE directions and DS's daycare is more on the way to my work but he has to be the first drop-off due to the time DD's school will start.  And yes, DH travels as well so I will often be doing this as a solo parent.  Doubt it will be fun and certainly will add to my morning, but it is what it is and is temporary.  Agree with the others that maybe a nanny might be the best option and could also solve the problem of what to do when your DS is sick.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

We have two kids in two different facilities - DS (12 mos.) is in the in-home center we've used for 4+ years. DD (5) went into a preschool last fall for her final year before starting K.

It's a pain in the butt, surely, but it's manageable. Both facilities are in the same city, where we live, so that makes it easier.  H and I split drop off in the morning - DS's care is on the way to his office, and I take DD. Then he picks both kids up both days because he gets out earlier than I do.

imageimage
  • Options

We're in the planning stages for #2 and I'm having the same fear.. DS is already in preschool and we can't pull him (he's in an integrated special needs center). A second infant could go to that center, but it would be way too $$$. I see parents do multiple dropoffs and it doesn't look too bad. I think I'd just have to allot an extra 20 minutes in the morning. This is assuming the locations are close together. Fortunately given the economy I've found numerous openings close to DS' preschool. He'll be in kindy in 2013 and the school is very close to our house so we'll luck out there.

I will say that we did contemplate saving up extra money now to put a second child in the same center as DS if only for the first 6 months or so until we get our bearings and figure it all out. This would give us time to shop around for a daycare near DS' kindy. Another sad reality is that both kids will likely be at their respective school or daycares the full 10 hours allowed under law, which sucks big time but seems unavoidable since DH and I both work 9 hours a day. We'll also try to stagger our schedules even more than we do now (DH goes in early and comes home early, I'm later)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"