Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Hand, foot & mouth question

When DS had hand, foot, & mouth a couple of months ago, the pedi said we could swab his mouth with equal parts maalox and benadryl.  Pedi said he might be at the beginning stage of having it again because of how his throat looks and I was going to give him the mixture again but I forgot how often I can swab his mouth with it.  As needed or only every so often? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hand, foot & mouth question

• Options
    My 7yo had it last summer and they told me as needed. BUT I am not a pedi, thats just my experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This was actually on The Doctors on Feb 17th. This was Dr. Sears reply on what to do to help the mouth sore pain.

Coxsackie Virus
    Coxsackie is a highly contagious virus that causes painful mouth sores that appear in the back of the throat and the tonsils.

?It usually lasts for five or six days, or even a week,? Dr. Sears says. ?A child can become miserable with a fever and can become dehydrated, and unfortunately, there is no treatment, but there is pain relief.?

Note that the Coxsackie virus leaves sores in the back of the mouth while other viruses, like herpes, appear at the front of the mouth.

Dr. Sears recommends using ?magic mouthwash,? a mixture of liquid antacid and liquid antihistamine, to help ease your child?s pain. Have your child swish with ?magic mouthwash? for several seconds.

To avoid Coxsackie, teach all family members to wash their hands often, especially after you change the diaper of an infected child. Do not let your child share toys or give kisses while he or she is infected, and wear rubber gloves when you apply any lotion, cream or ointment to the blisters. Lastly, be diligent about cleaning infected surfaces, including clothing.

He didn't say how often you could do it, but my understanding was 'as required for pain relief'. 

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"