Food Allergy

11 month old/lactose intolerance

How did you know?  Also, what do you do when they transition off of formula?

I nursed for 6 months and DD had no problems.  I had no supply and had to give her formula.  She had bad constipation issues and when we switched to Similac Sensitive(lactose free) everything became regular.  I gave her yogurt at 9 month, along with wheat, and she became very fussy.  She was screaming at nap time and in the middle of the night for no reason.  I took her to the dr (a different doctor who was not that helpful) thinking she had an ear infection.  Ears were fine so I told the dr I thought it was diet related.  So we cut out all wheat and dairy, and that night she slept fine and no more crying! 

I added wheat back in last month and she seems ok with it.  We have still not had any dairy.

So my question is, what did you do when you weaned off of formula?  Lactaid milk? Soy/almond milk?  Can babies have the lactase drops or chewables?  I am lactose tolerant myself, but because I can tolerate cheese and yogurt, and don't like milk, we did not discover it until I was in high school and eating some different things.  Anything with a creamy sauce or heavy cream or half and half bothers me.

I made DD some mashed potatoes with coconut milk last night and she liked that, but I would love for her to eat lasagna, and other casseroles that have dairy in them.

Thanks

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 11 month old/lactose intolerance

• sounds like direct dairy is the culprit.  it probably was okay through your breastmilk but not directly.  

we had a milk allergy so we went to rice milk with some added fats.  I plan on doing this with my second son even though he does not have a dairy issue (that i know of) but i just don't want milk in the house.  Soy milk is good also but there is some controversy with soy lately and personally, i would not give it to my boys (i use soy with limitations). Almond milk is amazing!!!! we used it for a bit and then he developed an almond allergy - i'm devastated that we cant use it anymore.  If you do go with almond milk, make sure he doesn't have a tree nut allergy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"