Baby Names
Options

Can we agree on pronunciation of Madeleine?

Hi girls- I know people are sick of the Madeleine name and other variations, but bear with me! I really, really want like the spelling Madeleine but all I can think is at high shool graduation and other events speakers pronouncing her name with a long "I" when indeed the correct pronunciation is phonetically "Lynn". So can we all agree that if we saw the name Madeleine we would pronounce it mad-a-Lynn? Just for my price of mine? Tia! 
dream.inspire.love. PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Can we agree on pronunciation of Madeleine?

• Options
    I'd pronounce it MAD-uh-lynn.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

imagekacelle:
    I'd pronounce it MAD-uh-lynn.

Yay! Thank you- I just dont want to torture her with having her name mispronounce all her life, but the alternative is the trendy "y" spellings and we all know how well that goes over...  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry but whenever I see this name or any of its varients with the exception of the -Lynn spelling, I always want to pronounce it Mad-uh-line like Madeline from the book series, no matter what.

I think it's just b/c that's the only way I, personally, have ever heard it pronounced.

TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I would say Mad-uh-line. Sorry. 

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• Options

I would pronounce it with the -lynn Smile

imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No matter how you spell it, people will probably get it wrong sometimes.  DD is Carolyn because we wanted the pronunciation "lynn" but people still say Caro-LINE even though it isn't spelled that way.  I would imagine the same thing would happen with a name like Madeleine. 
  • Options

I always thought there were two totally different names - Madeline (mad-uh-line) and Madelyn (Mad-uh-lynn)

• Options
    To add a wrinkle to this discussion, I have known 2 people named Madeline that pronounced it Mad-uh-lynn (not line) even though they spelled it like Caroline.  I like it with either the Madeleine or Madeline, but wouldn't do Madelyn.  
  • Options
    To add a wrinkle to this discussion, I have known 2 people named Madeline that pronounced it Mad-uh-lynn (not line) even though they spelled it like Caroline.  I like it with either the Madeleine or Madeline spelling, but wouldn't do Madelyn.  
  • Options
    DD's name is Madeline and I have never had a problem with people pronouncing it how I intended it to sound --- Mad-ah-lyn. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

This is how I would say them:

Madelyn: Mad-eh-lyn

Madeline: Mad-eh-line

Madeleine: Mad-eh-lehn

The "correct" pronunciation of Madeleine is not Mad-eh-lyn since it's the French version.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would take the "ei" spelling as a cue to pronounce it MAD-eh-line.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagejlsimon56:

The "correct" pronunciation of Madeleine is not Mad-eh-lyn since it's the French version.

This exactly!  I am French.  Madeleine is "Mad-eh-lehn" not "Mad-eh-line" or "Mad-eh-lynn"

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageVineyardMel:
    I would take the "ei" spelling as a cue to pronounce it MAD-eh-line.

Me too. The "ei" makes me say "line" at the end.  

• Options
    imageKittyMarie219:

I'm sorry but whenever I see this name or any of its varients with the exception of the -Lynn spelling, I always want to pronounce it Mad-uh-line like Madeline from the book series, no matter what.

I think it's just b/c that's the only way I, personally, have ever heard it pronounced.

This.  Especially because of the "eine" ending.  Are you opposed to Madelynn? 

BFP #1: October 24, 2011. MC: October 31, 2011

BFP #2: November 26, 2011. *c'mon, baby, stick!*

A new baby is like the beginning of all things... hope and a dream of possibilities. <3</p> Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'd pronounce it Mad-ah-lehn... Not Mad-ah-lyn.. slight difference.
  • Options
    Line.
  • Options
    imagejlsimon56:

This.  To me it's almost more like Mad-eh-layne with the French pronunciation. 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Just looking at it I would pronounce it mad-e-line. I don't really see how leine = lynn.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • Options

imagePictures29:
    Just looking at it I would pronounce it mad-e-line. I don't really see how leine = lynn.

Ditto. I was surprised to read that you wanted it to be pronounced "lyn" since I see "line." 

Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • Options
    No matter how you spell it, you will get both pronunciations.  I have however avoided the nickname Maddie successfully for over a year now.  If you love the name, use it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Sorry, but if it's spelled Madeleine or Madeline, I would pronounce it mad-uh-line.  Just how it looks - and so will many others.  With the spelling Madelyn, I would pronounce it mad-uh-lynn.  With Madeleine, you are GOING to get people pronouncing it "wrong".  I put wrong in quotes because I'm sure there are people who do spell it that way that introduce themselves as Mad-uh-line. 

image Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My DD's name is spelled Madeleine and we pronounce is Mad-uh-line. We were planning on having it said "Mad-eh-lehn" but no one pronounced it that way. Even now if her full name is said by someone other than myself, SO, or my immediate family they pronounce is Mad-a-lynn. 

• Options
    Yes. I would only consider the "line" pronunciation a possibility when the spelling is Madeline, no "e."  Madeleine is always "MAD-ah-lyn" to me.
  • Options
    I am naming my daughter Madilyn, which I know people on here HATE....I have given it so much thought though and just cant do "Madeline/Madeleine" as I know she will get Mad-uh-LINE on the first one and either that or Mad-uh-LANE on the 2nd one. I live in the south and I just KNOW people will butcher "Madeleine". I thought about Madelyn too so it would guarantee the correct Mad-uh-lyn pronunciation, but it just looks so awkward to me. My husband feels it looks like MADE-lyn. I see "Madilyn" in my head -like the name "Marilyn" just with a "d". But I have to tell you that I still fear the whole "you ruined a good name with you-neek spelling" perception. I dont want to fall under this category, but I loathe when a name has to be often corrected on pronunciation (I had a BFF/neighbor named Caroline and it was SO annoying how she had to tell everyone it was Carol-LYN). I have even thought about just picking a new name since the spelling of this one is so complicated, but I just LOVE the name so much. I am fairly sure we have decided on Madilyn Claire Muse or our daughter. Our son is Eli Jacob Muse.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies- I known dh prefers "lyn" at the end for the spelling which I fear people with think we "ruined" a perfectly good name putting a y where it doesn't need to be. Ho hum. Jury is still out I supposed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"