Pre-School and Daycare
Options

How to potty train for night time?

DD was fairly easy to PT around 27 months. But she was in a Pull Up for naps & night time. She recently stopped wearing one at naps but she usually wakes up after 45 min needing to pee. It's been hard but we've started to allow no water after 7pm. She goes to bed at 815pm. She pees before bed. DH will take her to pee around midnight before he comes to bed & she's usually dry in the morning. But if he waits to long to take her she will wet her pull up. A couple times she has gotten up in the middle of the night & come to our bathroom to pee. Don't know why she won't use hers.

Anyways, should DH quit taking her & see if she'll learn to hold it longer?

I feel bad but is it okay to stop liquids after 7? She begs. She's getting better but she still asks for it. She drinks a TON during the day though.

Re: How to potty train for night time?

• Options
    It is a development thing and you can't really night time train.  They have to have the ability to wake when they have the urge to pee.  It is within normal range to not night time train till 5.  I would not worry about it at this age.  We keep underjams on DS and he is almost 4.  He likes the security.  He has not wet one in 6 months though.  It was just something that happened.  If we forget and keep underwear on him it is not big deal at this point.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

we never "trained" for night... we kept Griffin in pullups at night- told him it was "just in case" b/c it's hard when you are sleeping, etc.

he started waking up dry on his own a couple weeks later- and has never had an accident since.  We used up the case of pullups we had - and that was it.   he also never wakes at night to pee... he's got a good bladder.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD did it on her own for a bit, but regressed a few months ago and we haven't gotten it back.  We're not pushing it because we have a new baby due any time.  I think what changed is she stopped napping so she sleeps really hard at night.  It's not that she doesn't want to- her body just doesn't wake her up to pee.  I don't think it's wrong to cut off water at 7.  If I don't do that for myself I need to pee all night, too!  I also wouldn't wake her up to pee at midnight.  It seems like you're setting yourself up to have to do that forever, and it's not teaching her to do it on her own.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It is a development thing and not something you can train them for. DS potty trained at 25 months but slept in a pull up and was wet most mornings until he turned 4. Right after his 4th birthday he started waking up to pee during the night and was dry every morning. After he was dry for 2 weeks, we let him wear underwear and he has done great since. I asked the pedi at his 4yr check up and she said it was not a concern until they were 5 or older.

FWIW, we stopped letting DS have anything to drink after dinner(6pm) and it didn't make a difference. He would still wake up wet so I just let him have whatever he wanted to drink. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yup, agree with pp that this is definitely a developmental thing. 

My DD1 was day-trained around three, but it's only within the past week that she's been wearing underwear to bed (just turned four). She has never woken up dry that I know of, but she told us she wanted to wear her big girl pants to bed -- so we let her, and she's had one accident so far but done amazingly well. She decided she was ready, and so she's been successful. 

I do try to limit fluids after dinner, but she still has a cup of water in her room at night and so far seems to be able to hold it long enough to be all right. Heck, I get thirsty at night myself, so I don't want to take that away unless I absolutely have to. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    My youngest stays dry through naps and all night. I have no idea how he does, because he drinks water at bed time ; ) I could take him out of the training pant, and he will wake up to tell us he has to go pee too... but his older brother (4) is still in traning pants and wants to be out of them. He does not drink before bed, he goes pee right before bed too, but he just is not ready yet. We will not take him to the bathroom in the middle of the night (or before we go to bed, unless he asked ; ). My oldest started at 4, he wanted to stay dry and I guess he was ready. We do a two week rule, that if you can stay dry for two weeks you can go to undies. And then we will help a litte by bringing them before we go to bed to go pee. But my middle son is defnitely not ready yet. Which is why I will just leave the youngesst in tp, even though that might get him over the hurdke he needs.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

YOu can not train someone to be night trained.  It is developmental and when her body is ready, it will happen.  Nothing that you are doing (stopping drinks at a certain, waking her at night to make her pee) is going to train her - it will just make you guys tired.  My suggestion is to put her in pull-ups and let her be.  When she is ready, she will either sleep all night and be dry or start waking up when she needs to go potty.

My almost 4 year old (2 weeks) was day trained at around age 3.  She was in pull ups for night time until about 6 weeks ago and would wake up wet about half the time at most.  She never woke up to pee at night.  We never limited water but we always had her pee right before bed.  About 6 weeks ago, on a Sat morning, she announced that she was done with pull-ups at night.  She has not had a night time accident at all.  She now wakes up to pee (will either go by herself or will call me) or wakes up dry and pees in the morning.  I never pushed it - we talked about it from time to time when she would wake up dry but we never pushed.  She was ready and it happened.  Older DD night trained first but I still had her in pull-ups for a few months after since she was so young and I have always felt that having them pee in their pull-up is a lot easier for all of us than changing the sheets each night in the middle of the night or waking up a sleeping child to "dream pee" for lack of a better term since it is not teaching them a thing.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"