Preemies
Options

for those of you who see or have seen a therapist...

For those of you that saw a therapist during or after your LOs NICU stay, what kind of therapist did you see?

I was looking under my insurance and they show therapists by specialty. Wasn't sure who would be the best person to see. Just a general family therapist? Grief Counselor? Other?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: for those of you who see or have seen a therapist...

• Options
    I am working on this issue right now.  I wish I would have gotten help sooner.  I am thinking that I will ask my OB at my check up in March for recommendations for therapists for women with grief/fertility/trauma issues.  Or, I could also ask the social worker from the NICU.  We had Help Me Grow for two years and I never asked them.  Uggh.  I was too embarrassed to ask.  I think I will lean towards a specialty focus instead of a general therapist unless I have a direct recommendation from another mama.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I saw a therapist that specialized in women and anxiety/ PTSD. Honestly it was the best thing I did for myself. My OB recommended her because she has preemies, and knew first hand what I was going through. :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't find a female therapist that specialized in PTSD in my area.  So I just went with a suggestion from a friend who is a psychiatrist.  The woman who I saw was more of a family therapist.  She was pretty good though.  I hope you can find someone that helps! 
  • Options

All good options - I'd probably start with my OB or the NICU social worker.  Probably the social worker would have more preemie/PTSD focused ones.

I actually was already seeing a therapist prior to my sons birth who was recommended by my RE (I was having a hard time with IF), so we contacted her after my son was born and met with her a few times.

Good luck, and kudos to you for realizing it would be helpful for you to talk with someone. This preemie thing is tough, tough stuff.

• Options
    a lot of therpist have profiles that describe what they cover. I see one that specializes in multiple areas, but one of them being fertility issues and parenting. So i figured this covered it..and she's been great!
  • Options
    I used my company's EAP program & asked specifically for someone who specializes in women's health issues. She's been very helpful!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    great thanks ladies!  I probably shouldve started talking to someone earlier...but I guess it's never too late.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"