Health & Exercise

Core workouts while pregnant....

I keep reading on different sites that planks (regular and side planks) are safe to do while pregnant. I did them pre-pregnancy but am kind of hesitant b/c it just feels weird to be planking with a baby bump...I feel like I might hurt the baby or something ( i know i know, i'm probably being paranoid). Do any of you ladies plank while pregnant..or did you during your pregnancy? What other core exercises can I do that will be safe...the dreaded abdominal separation thing terrifies me and I want to remain as strong as possible but be safe. Thanks ladies : )

Re: Core workouts while pregnant....

• I don't think working your abs can definitely prevent separation. It may help a bit, but overworking them could do the opposite if they get really strong and tight. The muscles separate because they baby has to go somewhere, and your body pretty much lets them split so the muscles don't tear. I think a certain  level of strength is good, but don't overdo it. The trick is to be cautious when working out after pregnancy and to do exercises like planks and pilates that gradually pull the muscles together BEFORE you do things like situps, etc.

I know by them time I got back into the gym a few weeks after birth I could only feel about a finger's width separation and that went away over the next few months.

• I did them all throughout my pregnancy.  They were my go-to core exercise.  You can modify it by lowering onto your forearms and/or your knees.  You can mix it up by shifting your weight forward and back, alternate lifting each leg up a few inches off the ground, or "walking" your hands out to a wider stance and back in again (out, out, in, in).  I think side planks were harder because I felt off-balance.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I just clicked over to this board to ask the exact same question!  I started going to the gym regularly about a month and a half ago, and I found out last week that I was pregnant (yippee!).  I go to a lot of core/strength classes at the gym, and all week I've been wondering "is there even a point to this?"  Anyway, I didn't think it could hurt, and I'll keep on working my core!  I have awhile until a baby bump appears I think (unfortunately!) but since I just got in the habit of going to the gym, I really don't want to let my workouts lapse!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was wondering the same thing!  I used to plank using a ball, but have switched to just planking on the floor to lessen the difficulty. 

• I continued planks until I was put on bedrest at 33weeks. It gets harder as the belly gets heavier, but I modified by doing them from my knees. I am grateful that I did because pushing required lots of abdominal endurance and I am sure it helped during delivery to have that strength.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been doing planks throughout -- and I'm about 2 days further along than you, OP.  I haven't had any trouble with them (they've gotten more difficult as I've gotten bigger, but no technical difficulties)
  • I did planks and side-planks all through my pregnancy
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Confused, my ob told me no core exercises
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"