VBAC
Options

1st was a scheduled csection due to size

I had a scheduled csection at 39 weeks due to size and large head circumference, I had really wanted a natural birth, but 2 doctors confirmed that I would most likely need a csection after attempting labor and I had quite a few friends who labored and then ended up with emergency csections so I opted for the scheduled csection.

my son was 9 lbs 5 ozs and 100th percentile head circumference.  I assumed that I would need another csection, but I would love to try for a vbac because I would love to get home sooner and be more present for the birth, less medicated.  Would anyone consider a vbac for me? 

Re: 1st was a scheduled csection due to size

• Options

I'm in a very similar boat with you. I was scheduled for a c-section at 39 weeks due to large baby and high blood pressure. We are getting ready to ttc #2 and my dr. is ok with attempting a VBAC if circumstances are different. I'm hopeful! 

Have you talked to your Dr. about it? If s/he is not willing, many doctors are. I would find one that is supportive of VBAC and weigh your options! Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would definitly look into if your doctor is favorable to VBAC and if not find one that is. I have a friend who's first had a large head and was a big baby in general, she went on to have a VBAC. Every pregnancy and baby are different. I would at least attempt one if you can. GL!

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first was 9 lb 13 oz with a 14 inch head. I do not believe his size (alone) is what led to my csection. I believe it was the doctor unwilling to be patient (only allowed me to labor under induction for 12 hours), baby's position (posterior), my being badly misaligned and me being stuck on my back and unable to get out of bed. I progressed all the way to 7cm before I was coerced into an unnecessary csection.

I gained 80lbs with DS1. This time, I'm 35 weeks and have only gained 30.  IBeen really controlling my diet. I've also been seeing a chiropractor throughout my entire pregnancy to keep baby in optimal position. I don't know if this baby will be any smaller, but even if late ultrasounds predict a big baby, I will not consent to an unnecessary csection. If you eat right, exercise and take good care of yourself in pregnancy (and don't have any medical conditions that could effect baby's size) I do not believe your body will grow a baby too big to birth.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had a similar situation with my first...scheduled c/s at 39 weeks, but the ultrasound was wrong.  She was only 8lbs 12oz and I was never told what her head circ was.  The u/s had measured her at over 11lbs.  I'm planning a homebirth with this one and his head is estimated to be in the 95th percentile and 85th percentile for body weight.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't cause me some extra concern and doubt, but I have a great support system and truly think I am setting myself up in the best position to have a huge vbac baby with a charlie brown head :)  

I should be letting everyone know within the next few weeks how it went.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Options

Providers who truly believe in the power of a woman's body to give birth would never schedule a c-section due to size.  You can't possibly know how the pelvis will expand until you're actually in labor and pushing.  There are lots of people in the birth community who believe that in general the body won't grow a baby that it can't birth (this of course excludes those with pelvic/back injury or birth deformity).

Your chances of having a VBAC will really hinge on finding a provider who is supportive of VBAC and the birth process. 

A lot of us are in similar positions.  DD was over 9lbs and I was unable to push her out....but my new provider really believes I can do it with better positioning, pushing and coaching. 

• Options

I have the same situation.  My DD was 9lbs 8oz, scheduled c/s at 40 wks (no progress even then), she was facing sunny side up.  I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do and I truly don't believe I could have had her vaginally.

I discussed a VBAC with my doc before I even scheduled DD's c/s.  Now that I'm expecting DD#2, we've discussed my VBAC at every appt.  She has been really supportive and is really taking a wait and see approach, which I appreciate.  Basically she can't predict what the circumstances will be so she isn't ruling it out just yet.  So far, this baby is measuring very large as well. At my appt. earlier this week my fundal height was measuring 4cms large. 

I'm not giving up just yet.  Keep the convo open with your doc, look at all your options, and don't give up if its what you really want. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"