Pre-School and Daycare

Migrating towards similar age in class

Do you think your DC migrates towards other kids of the same age (in their preschool class)?

My DD goes to 4 year old preschool, and they also spend about half their time with 3 year olds.  I just noticed lately that she seems to be attracted to the kids of the same age.  The only reason I even noticed was we got a list of the kids in the class (for Valentine's day) and it happened to have all their birthdays, and my DD's best friends are all turning 5 in March/April (they are the oldest in the class).

We even do playdates with a variety of ages of kids - she plays well with all ages- but she definitely seems to click well with the most similar age.  Not that this is any kind of epiphany, but I just noticed how those consistently close kids are the same age within a couple months, but maybe mostly since they are the oldest in the class as well.

Re: Migrating towards similar age in class

• I would think so.  I was youngest in my class in college and all my close friends were fall birthdays as well. I think it would be even more normal at a younger age.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I see that in DS's class too.  He's in the 3 year old class.  He has a late birthday and is one of the youngest.  He still isn't big on group play.  But the boys who are really into group play are the older ones who turned 4 soon after the school year started.  Most of the younger 3's still play by themselves or one-on-one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD's class is kind of weird.  It's a PreK through the district and a lot of parents of kids with later bdays send their kids there as a transitional K.  Almost all of the boys have fall/early winter bdays and almost all of the girls have later winter/spring birthdays.  the girls are pretty tight knit and the boys seem to be too.  She was in a Montessori school last year with 3 ages in 1 class and she did hang out with the 2 girls closest in age to her, but they'd always been together.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"