May 2011 Moms

Diaper rash/yeast infection - help!

DD had bad diaper rash and then had to go on antibiotics for an ear infection.  That really flared her up and the doc had me use Lamisil for a week.  It hasn't improved.  Now he's switching us to cortisone cream.  I just don't have much faith.  We use disposables.  I've got a whole shelf of different diaper rash creams and nothing seems to be making a difference.  Do you have any ideas?

*We use pampers sensitive wipes.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper rash/yeast infection - help!

• Ugh poor baby! First of all, if the pedi said it is yeast stop using any diaper rash cream, it only makes it worse. I had to battle yeats twice and the only thing that worked for us was grapefruit seed extract. I would dilute about 10 drops in 1 oz of water and wash the area with a cloth (I use cloth wipes) or with a cotton ball, I did this after every diaper change and I would add about 6 drops to my cloth wipe solution. I know you use disposables but if there is any chance to use cloth at least while the yeast is there it would help a lot because you need the area to breathe, which brings me to my last suggestion have DD as diaper free as possible, keep the area clean and dry as much as you can. Give GSE a try it worked like a miracle for us! Hope it clears up soon!
  • Lotrimin AF always clears yeast up for my kids.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is prone to yeast. She has thrush within a month... and she needed a strong dose of Nystatin.  When she had a yeast diaper rash, we needed something stronger than lotrimin.  We were prescribed a nystatin cream and it cleared right up.  I would rather use that than a cortisone cream.  But for a short period, I think either is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone, she's in daycare so she won't have much opportunity to "roam free" during the day but I'm planning on a naked extravaganza this weekend.  I also ordered several different ointments, etc. from Amazon.com (I keep them in business!) to see what we can do.
  • imagesnoopy5512:
    DD is prone to yeast. She has thrush within a month... and she needed a strong dose of Nystatin.  When she had a yeast diaper rash, we needed something stronger than lotrimin.  We were prescribed a nystatin cream and it cleared right up.  I would rather use that than a cortisone cream.  But for a short period, I think either is fine.

Nystatin works for us everytime 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would ask your pedi they can give the nystatin cream or something like to help with the yeast. Mine told me to use it every other time and use corona cream in between uses!  

• The worst one we ever had was when DS1 was only a couple of months old and got so bad the rash started bleeding, even with the nystatin and everything else we tried. We finally wound up getting something called Vusion cream prescribed from the doctor and it was very expensive (around $300, luckily insurance covered most of that), but cleared the rash up in under a week. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My pedi recommended lotrimin like pp said. I also switched diaper brands to an organic brand which also seemed to help.
  • Got nyastin and it's helping a lot!  I think the antibiotic triggered this flare up.
  • Lurker coming from June 2011.  LO had the worst diaper rash/yeast infection EVER and nothing was working.  We were using the lomotrin.  The dr. recommended trying Maalox (yes the stuff for your stomach) blotted on with cotton balls with a layer of Lomotrin over it. Then throw some Triple Paste on top of that.  His butt was beautiful in 2 days!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Update:

The nystatin helped A LOT but it didn't clear her rash up entirely.  Last night I felt a nodule on her tush (looks like a pimple under the skin) and today took her to the doc.  STAPH INFECTION.  She's on antibiotics (oral) and I have to cleanse her with betadine 2x a day and with each diaper change he has me blow drying her tush on low/no heat.  We're hoping to see drastic improvement in 3 days.  If we don't, they'll have to excise the nodule.  POOR BABY GIRL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"